Generating high order PDM bitstreams

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am studying BISTs of Delta Sigma Modulators, and I am trying to generate pulse density modulated bitstreams. I've started off using the algorithm mentioned in this wikipedia article . However, this algorithm is first order and I would really like to improve this by using a second or even higher order algorithm. It seems that I can accomplish this by using more samples' errors worth of feedback, as mentioned in this wikipedia article . So I guess my question is, does anyone have experience doing this, or know of a resource that could point me in the right direction? Perhaps there is a spice model of a Delta Sigma Modulator that I could use in MatLab or Cadence that would allow me to do this. Or perhaps a Labview vi capable of generating the bitstreams. The bitstreams need to represent single frequency analog signals.

Hi Losing,

This page has some excellent information on delta-sigma modulation. The "DSM Introduction" (top of the third table) is a really nice introduction to the process and takes you through the derivation of both single-stage and MASH-type topologies.

He also has some MATLAB scripts (which I haven't looked at, but which I would expect to be good). They might do what you want, or be easily modifiable to do so.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.