About using a sound card to record vinyl - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2008, 11:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default About using a sound card to record vinyl

Hello

I want to record my best vinyl into Wav file to do cd with some of them.

I have for now a SB-Live sound card and I would NOT record my vinyl with it.

I would buy an other used sound card, my budget are quite limited.

I was looking for the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card, but a friend told me, by email, that the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card was clean but a bit clinical sound and missing the sound-stage wen he did recorded his best vinyl into Wav file and doing cd to listen them with his Naim system, he did use a Naim preamp connect to the line input of that sound card.

I can have an Ensoniq Audio pci sound card, anyone did use this sound card to record good vinyl into Wav file to do cd, and can tell me if the sound is warmer with a better soundstage with this sound card ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan
Old 17th April 2008, 12:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to saltmiser
Default Ensoniq

Well, I've never recorded a vinyl before with Ensoniq cards..but I've used the line-in jack from things like mixers and keyboards; and it sounds nice in my opinion. I like Ensoniq cards..
Old 17th April 2008, 02:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: About using a sound card to record vinyl

Quote:
Originally posted by gaetan8888
Hello

I would buy an other used sound card, my budget are quite limited.

I was looking for the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card, but a friend told me, by email, that the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card was clean but a bit clinical sound and missing the sound-stage wen he did recorded his best vinyl into Wav file and doing cd to listen them with his Naim system, he did use a Naim preamp connect to the line input of that sound card.

I can have an Ensoniq Audio pci sound card, anyone did use this sound card to record good vinyl into Wav file to do cd, and can tell me if the sound is warmer with a better soundstage with this sound card ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

...It's NAIM - not the sound card, making the wav's sound clinical! Apart form NAIM being what it is, and many people loving its sound, what you are trying to do is to digitise analog sound, and later to play it on a digital CD Player…. do not expect miracles, the sound will indeed be digitised, and will sound like one.

Boky

Boky
Old 17th April 2008, 12:14 PM   #4
AMV8 is offline AMV8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi
I have tried various sound cards and programs over the years to record vinyl.
The best I have found is to record straight to cd via a marantz dr 6000. To make it even better I play the record through a Carver C4000 preamp which has a good phono stage and which has an autocorrelation programme which removes any hiss or scratches better than any sound card I have ever found. The preamp also has a sound stage programme which can also work well to seperate the left and right channels depending on how the older records were miked.

Hope this helps

Don
Old 17th April 2008, 01:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AMV8
Hi
I have tried various sound cards and programs over the years to record vinyl.
The best I have found is to record straight to cd via a marantz dr 6000. To make it even better I play the record through a Carver C4000 preamp which has a good phono stage and which has an autocorrelation programme which removes any hiss or scratches better than any sound card I have ever found. The preamp also has a sound stage programme which can also work well to seperate the left and right channels depending on how the older records were miked.

Hope this helps

Don

Hello Don

The marantz dr 6000 cost much more than what I can afford.

Which computer sound card did you try over years, which cards did sound better for vinyl recording ?

Did you try the Ensoniq Audio pci ?

Btw, for myself I would use the preamp section of my Radford amp.

Thank

Gaetan
Old 19th April 2008, 06:46 AM   #6
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

The Ensoniq AudioPCI did have a good reputation in the past, but that might have been partly because it was a) cheap and b) could do full-duplex properly (simultaneous recording and playback) which was good for making multitrack recordings.

The Audigy 2 cards can do some amazing-looking benchmarks in Rightmark, and they don't cost very much now. I added a Toslink input to mine, and use it with a Behringer SRC-2496 as an external ADC, since I'd rather keep the audio stuff isolated from the computer as much as possible. I also like that it's got an LED level indicator, so it's easy to be sure how much headroom there is when recording.
Old 19th April 2008, 02:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: About using a sound card to record vinyl

Quote:
Originally posted by gaetan8888
Hello

Have you considered building an ADC and using the digital input of the sound card ?
Old 19th April 2008, 03:38 PM   #8
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Here are the datasheets of the EMU10K1 and the ES1370 chips used in the Soundblaster Live and Ensoniq Audio PCI.
Comparing them might give some insight:
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf/1331789.pdf
http://www.hh.iij4u.or.jp/~tokumi/ES1370.PDF

I love my m-audio card which was a big improvement over the SB-live. Still, if you are on a tight budget, the SB-live isn’t ‘that’ bad.

/Hugo
Old 19th April 2008, 03:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have to agree with Netlist. I have the SB Live Audigy sound card and have had really nice results converting to digital.

A good cart, stylus, and pre are more critical. Also, I use Krystal Audio Engine to record. It's free. give it a try.
Old 29th April 2008, 09:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hello

I've look arround and the best are Audiophile 2496 and Esi Juli@ but they are costly, but the M-Audio Transit usb card are very interesting and affordable.

Anybody compared the M-Audio Transit usb card to the Audiophile 2496 for sound and soundstage qualities ?

Thank

Gaetan

Hide this!Advertise here!