About using a sound card to record vinyl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I want to record my best vinyl into Wav file to do cd with some of them.

I have for now a SB-Live sound card and I would NOT record my vinyl with it.

I would buy an other used sound card, my budget are quite limited.

I was looking for the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card, but a friend told me, by email, that the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card was clean but a bit clinical sound and missing the sound-stage wen he did recorded his best vinyl into Wav file and doing cd to listen them with his Naim system, he did use a Naim preamp connect to the line input of that sound card.

I can have an Ensoniq Audio pci sound card, anyone did use this sound card to record good vinyl into Wav file to do cd, and can tell me if the sound is warmer with a better soundstage with this sound card ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

gaetan8888 said:
Hello

I want to record my best vinyl into Wav file to do cd with some of them.

I have for now a SB-Live sound card and I would NOT record my vinyl with it.

I would buy an other used sound card, my budget are quite limited.

I was looking for the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card, but a friend told me, by email, that the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card was clean but a bit clinical sound and missing the sound-stage wen he did recorded his best vinyl into Wav file and doing cd to listen them with his Naim system, he did use a Naim preamp connect to the line input of that sound card.

I can have an Ensoniq Audio pci sound card, anyone did use this sound card to record good vinyl into Wav file to do cd, and can tell me if the sound is warmer with a better soundstage with this sound card ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

...It's NAIM - not the sound card, making the wav's sound clinical! Apart form NAIM being what it is, and many people loving its sound, what you are trying to do is to digitise analog sound, and later to play it on a digital CD Player…. do not expect miracles, the sound will indeed be digitised, and will sound like one.

Boky

Boky

Hi
I have tried various sound cards and programs over the years to record vinyl.
The best I have found is to record straight to cd via a marantz dr 6000. To make it even better I play the record through a Carver C4000 preamp which has a good phono stage and which has an autocorrelation programme which removes any hiss or scratches better than any sound card I have ever found. The preamp also has a sound stage programme which can also work well to seperate the left and right channels depending on how the older records were miked.

Hope this helps

Don

AMV8 said:
Hi
I have tried various sound cards and programs over the years to record vinyl.
The best I have found is to record straight to cd via a marantz dr 6000. To make it even better I play the record through a Carver C4000 preamp which has a good phono stage and which has an autocorrelation programme which removes any hiss or scratches better than any sound card I have ever found. The preamp also has a sound stage programme which can also work well to seperate the left and right channels depending on how the older records were miked.

Hope this helps

Don

Hello Don

The marantz dr 6000 cost much more than what I can afford.

Which computer sound card did you try over years, which cards did sound better for vinyl recording ?

Did you try the Ensoniq Audio pci ?

Btw, for myself I would use the preamp section of my Radford amp.

Thank

Gaetan

The Ensoniq AudioPCI did have a good reputation in the past, but that might have been partly because it was a) cheap and b) could do full-duplex properly (simultaneous recording and playback) which was good for making multitrack recordings.

The Audigy 2 cards can do some amazing-looking benchmarks in Rightmark, and they don't cost very much now. I added a Toslink input to mine, and use it with a Behringer SRC-2496 as an external ADC, since I'd rather keep the audio stuff isolated from the computer as much as possible. I also like that it's got an LED level indicator, so it's easy to be sure how much headroom there is when recording.

Hello

I've look arround and the best are Audiophile 2496 and Esi Juli@ but they are costly, but the M-Audio Transit usb card are very interesting and affordable.

Anybody compared the M-Audio Transit usb card to the Audiophile 2496 for sound and soundstage qualities ?

Thank

Gaetan

I tend to use a yamaha DS2416 card...

But I feed the input into the line level 1/4inch jacks AX44 drive bay unit as the ADC's are better and it's better shielded...

Ok so it's only up to 20bit at 48khz but it still sounds better than most 24/96 24/192 cards I have tried...

John

I messed about with audacity using the crapola inputs on my laptop, it's a reasonable fascmile.

if you want the most direct route though. Then you probably want a decent external 24/96 soundcard. plug straight into that, no phonostage no preamp.

save the digtial file you get on your pc, then add the RIAA digitally on top of you 24/96 wav, using something like adobe soundbooth or anything else that lets you eq in the digital domain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.