Speaker guy looking for a CD player kit. Advise?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I've been building ad designing speakers for a couple of year now. Based on the experience with commercial speakers and knowing what kind of crap is inside I am now looking at CD players and thinking the same thing. Pretty cases with el-chipo electronics inside.
So my question is as follows: Are there any DIY kits out there for around $500 for a CD (preferably with SACD option) out there.
I can do some metalwork, ace in woodworking and limited in electronic testing tools.
Thanks for any help.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You won't find any kits with SACD capability at all, although Daisy Laser does sell mechanisms that support it they are not available to the general public. (Daisy is the most unresponsive resale organization I have ever encountered, while they spammed my inbox for years, getting anything useful out of them was impossible.)

In any case anything based on a Philips mechanism should be regarded with great suspicion, by the time it breaks spare parts will be hard to come by. The Philips CD-PRO2XX based kits will set you back much more than the budget you outline by the time you are done. (At least as these mechanisms evolve the replacements seem to be backwards compatible - so a future replacement should hopefully work.)

Tent Labs has a kit: http://www.tentlabs.com/Products/diycd/index.html

Here is one place that historically sold a kit based on this mechanism: http://www.diy-high-end.com/

Diyclub.biz used to sell a cd rom based kit, but that appears to have been discontinued.

Take a look at the ShigaClone thread, if you are up to some serious sleuthing this could be a nice solution to your problem.

Thanks for the response.
I thought I could easily find a good kit, put it together in a fancy box and live happily ever after. I am not that interested in researching the subject, after all I am a speaker DIY and honestly, I'd rather seat and design crossovers. If anyone is interested, I have a pair of ProAc2.5 clones I am wheeling to trade for an equal value DIY CD player. Speakers are done in Birds eye maple with Burl Walnut bases and sound phenomenal. If not, I could always pick up something from e bay.
Thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.