Picture of Marantz CD7 with Double Crown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just for ppl that are curious..lovely player..very well build.

tone.

Attachments

• marantz-cd7.jpg
    marantz-cd7.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 4,492
mmm,

Two times TDA1541.... Probably fed with differential i2s signals.
Sounds familiar ;->

Seems to have a new clock fitted.

Re-program the Eproms of the DSP and it could be made N-OS..
hihi

Think i have a mail from someone who has the service manual.
If you are interested i can search for the mail and ask him.

Looks Great!

Greetings,
Guido

a true classic.......is it yours...?

i see all the elna silmic is replaced by black gates.

and the 2 x 14 decouplin' caps also has been replaced with ?????
that's perhaps the most interesting change - hows the sound before/after...?

this player also uses the cdpro transport unit, but not as topload - marantz build an extremely deluxe drawer mechanisme...smooth!!!!!!

and yes - there's a new clock too...audiocom superclock.

did you dc-couple the player...?

i just love this player

if its for sale i'm buyin'...........

:tongue: :drink: :wave2: :grouphug: :happy1: :happy2: :cloud9:

Hi,

My dac is progressing slowly. First, i have to work up north quite a bit, staying in hotels. And second, i am working on my house to get it ready to live in. Takes a lot of time.

As for the dac, the splitting works and also the fifo is working.
Can be seen in the 2 * TDA1541 post from a while back. Working on the connection from cdp to dac at the moment. Have some bus ic's laying around i am going to try.

Lesha is working to get the dig. logic into one chip. Should make things simpler.

Greetings,
Guido

What's the big secret about the CD7? How are the dacs feeded, differential? And I/V, Marantz like with Hdam's? If so it can be done diy too:D

And have been reading someone could get better sound by feeding the CD-7 dac with Spdif from an external CDM-1 based player!

Here is a piece of text from Marantz Europe:

Q: Linear Music Filter:
A: In the past, lack of finesse in filtering a signal's spurious images and unwanted noise compromised even technologically advanced multi-bit DACs by introducing 'ringing' distortions. Without sophisticated filtering even the Double Crown would be humbled. For the CD-7 Marantz has stepped right into the digital domain. By using Digital Signal Processing Marantz has developed a brand new filter which acts with extreme subtlety and precision before the data stream is converted from digital to analogue. Dubbed the Linear Music Filter (LMF), the new digital design delivers extraordinarily accurate reproduction by responding to instructions encoded within the MZ777f DSP chipset. It can compensate for the characteristics of analogue filters to ensure a flat frequency response and zero phase distortion in the audio band, while its 4x oversampling shifts spurious images and noise far outside our range of hearing. It's a far advanced manifestation of the standard 'FIR' digital filter used in many of todays less exalted applications. It remains true that the original FIR's audio characteristics are preferred by music lovers. However on the downside, it introduces 'pre-' and 'after ringing' distortion when it fails to respond with sufficient precision to amplitude impulses. Its variant, the more precise-acting 'Short FIR', shows less attenuation above 20kHz whilst retaining the same sonic character. For the LMF however, Marantz created a filter preserving that sonic character, but whose impulse response (behaviour in time) is so precise as to significantly cut down after-and especially pre-ringing distortions, so that reproduced music retains all the attack and dynamism of a live performance. In tandem with this, a gentle-acting 3rd order bessel analogue filter in the CD-7 offers optimum impulse response and lowest phase distortion after D/A conversion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.