Picture of Marantz CD7 with Double Crown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Marantz CD-7

Dear all Hi-Fi Enthusiasts:

I would like to share a very bad experience I have had with all of you and I hope to get your honest oppinion about it.

A few months ago I googled Marantz CD-7, because I had heard so many superlatives about this famous player and I therefore desperately wanted a chance to be the owner of this ancient, but very natural player. Apart from this I had once heard a Philips CD-560 with the normal Philips TDA1541 converters and I remember it to be very smooth, soft and natural in its sound. Anyway one of the links was actually for a CD-7 for sale in Germany and I was just thrilled to actually be able to find this very rare player for sale at all. I have seen two or three up for sale, but did not have the money to buy them at the time. anyway I contacted the owner and he was very nice and offered to take it off the web as well as off his personal sales-list in his shop (He sells PA-Gear down in Frankfurt), since this was his own private player. He even offered to send it up to his shop in Hamburg, Germany, so it was much easier and a much shorter distance for me to travel to get it (I live in Copenhagen, Denmark). Well everything was fine and there was only (for me at least) a minor formality, which had to be cleared with the owner before final sale. That minor formality was that since he had not sent me any photos of the INSIDE of the player, so as to show the inside of the player, thus that the buyer could verify that everything looked and seemed in good and original order, (especially the Philips TDA1541A S2 (Double Crown) converters). The reason for wanting to see the inside, was because IF the unit had been modified or more directly said downgraded, such that for example the Double Crowns had been switched to Single Crowns or even just to the regular TDA1541A's, then you guys know as well as I that not only would the unit not play as well as the original, but should I ever decide to sell it someday, YOU KNOW, that that player wouldn´t be worth HALF the price of an original. It would be different if say it was a used new model like for instance the SA-7S1, because then at least it would be possible to modify it back to its original state from Marantz themselves, since they would have all the necessary parts used for this model available on hand or at least in stock. But for this extremely rare model, the CD-7, it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of a pair of genuine TDA1541A S2 (Double Crown) converters and not even Philips themselves, I believe, have ANY of these vintage converters in stock. THEREFORE I simply asked it it was possible to either have some tools ready when I arrived in the shop, such that I or the shops staff, could open the lid, such that I could, at least to a certain degree, verify that the converters where there, having printed out some the excellent photos posted on the Philips/Marantz website as a verification-tool. So when I suggested this to the owner, He got COMPLETELY offensive, asking me why I wanted to do this now and what was the reason for all of this. I tried to explain to him why, as I explained to you guys above and that it was nothing personal toward him, but since I payed the full asking price for the item (3000 euros), I believed I was entitled to ask this small favour. He exploted at me saying: "WELL YOU DON'T SPLIT A CAR OPEN AND TAKE EVERYTHING APART, BEFORE YOU BUY, DO YOU???". I REPLIED: "WELL YOU DON'T BUY A FERRARI EITHER, WITHOUT LOOKING UNDER THE HOOD FIRST, DO YOU???" and then he continued to say that this sale could go either to ways.

1) Either I would open it and If I MADE EVEN THE SLIGTEST SCRATCH IN THE PROCESS OF OPENING IT, THE SHOP WOULD IMMIDIATELY ASK FOR THE 3000 EUROS AND I WOULD AUTOMATICALLY HAVE BOUGHT THE ITEM!!! I then pointed out to him, that if he had read my mail correctly I said that I/WE as in his staff TOGETHER could open it, such that I would not be solely reliable for any damage done in the process, which I as he got more and more hostile obviously changed so that his staff ALONE would open it, so that I would not be reliable at all.

2) the item was opened and if something was found not to be original or not the way it should be, He would STILL not even go down in price at all, he would only not force me to buy the item (Which I obviously would not have done!!!)

I then told him, that I did not like his threatening tone and that I was a paying customer, working my *** off 14 hours a day 7 days a week, just to be able to pay him his asking price, but then I also believed, that I was entitled to check and see, what exactly I was buying. By the way, if the item was as he said it was (that is 100% original), then what was all the fuss about??? Just unscrew those four or six screws of however many it would take to open it, look to confirm that everything was okay (WITHOUT TOUCHING ANYTHING OF COURSE!!!) AND THEN PUT THE LID BACK ON AND THEN EVERYTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE!!! (I have seen photos of it and it seemed in mint condition, only, as I said, I have just not seen any inside photos of the item).

Instead the next day he had written a mail saying that he could not have respect for CRAZY INDIVIDUALS, to qwote him exactly, who wanted to take everything apart and that I could either buy the item as it was or I could not buy it at all, as simple as that. I was simply STUNNED guys!!! I couldn't believe he called me CRAZY!!!!!! He then continued to say that in his 30 or so years of having to do with PA-gear, he had NEVER encountered and individual who asked for this. I then answered him, the thing I just said about the Ferrari and said that if he thought that a guy would buy a used ferrari WITHOUT looking under the hood, before he put the money on the table, then I was sure that people would call him crazy before they called me crazy. I then said lastly that I would go along with not opening it in the store, but that I WOULD open it once I got home and if ANYTHING was not the way it was supposed to be or if anyrthing was wrong or missing and if he then did then not IMMIDIATELY return my money, then I would write to every single forum and web-site I could find and tell the truth about him and his product. This morning then he had written, that He was NOT going to sell his CD-7 to me and that I should NOT contact him ANYMORE. By the way I had just bought the train-tickets the day before and he knew that (100 euros).

My question is to you guys simply: Am I completely out of character here????? Since the CD-7 is a vintage player and since the Double Crowns are almost impossible to find, am I not entitled to verify that everything is genuine inside as well as out?????? Please tell me if I am wrong here, because I cannot tell you how much I had looked forward to getting this player and to me at least, this guy is in my oppinion is a bastard of proportions...Am I wrong here??? Is what I am asking completely Out of the ordinary??? I have asked my local Hi-Fi-dealer, which is the dealer of Audio Note and Marantz among other brands and he doesn't think I am crazy, as a matter of fact he does the same thing all the time he says and he asks the owners THEMSELVES to open their units, so that he doesn't get blamed and becomes liable in the process of opening it.

I am sorry if this message is very long and confusing, but I am really just very very sad, cus' I had just looked so much forward to listening to and aquiering this player. And so obviously since I am not buying his player anymore, then I would like to let it be known that i am STILL looking for a Marantz CD-7 and so if ANYBODY IS SELLING OR KNOWS OF ANYONE WHO IS SELLING THIS PLAYER, THEN PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I HAVE BY THE WAY LISTED A "POST TO WANT IT NOW" ADD ON EBAY WANTING THIS PLAYER, WHICH IS ON THIS WEB-SITE:

http://wantitnow.ebay.co.uk/Marantz-CD-7-High-End-CD-Player_W0QQadidZ160304871885

Thank you everyone for reading this. Hope you can understand my frustration and sadness.

Sincerely Stax DMA-X2.

Marantz CD-7

Hi JC951t:

I understand completely what you are saying and this is exactly why I said to him that it was nothing personal, Its just that, as I told in my former message, the TDA1541A S2 (Double Crown) Converters are almost impossible to get a hold of. Not even Philips themselves has ANY left AT ALL and so it is almost impossible to restore it to original if at first these converters have been removed. Apart from this, it wasn't necessarily so that I accused him of tampering with the item on purpose. It could also simply be the case that they had been changed, because they were not working anymore or that they had been damaged in some form or another and then had been changed into some other converters and then I'd just like to know this, before I put down 3000 euros JC951t....Its a lot of money for a 10 year old CD-Player, which cannot play SACD's or nothing. I never said that I should open it, he could have offered to open it himself as a good service for a client, but instead he starts threatening me by saying that if even ONE SINGLE SCRATCH arrives on that player, then I the shop will IMMIDIATELY claim the 3000 euros, EVEN BEFORE I would have succeeded in opening it completely (and please remember here. I am NOT talking about completely splitting the item apart, of course not, I am merely talking about opening the LID AND NOTHING ELSE, verifying that everything is the way it should be WITHOUT TOUCHING ANYTHING!!! and then simply putting the lid back on and thats that...NOTHING FURTHER!!! This would be nothing more than the equivalent of looking under the hood of a car, to see that everything is they was it should be, before you bought it and I do not know of ANYONE JC951t, who would NOT look under the hood of a car, before they bought it!!!). But instead of offering to do it himself as a good service for the client AND to show the client, that he is not trying to hide anything, then he he starts threatening me with that if ONLY A SINGLE SCRATCH ARRIVES ON THAT PLAYER, THEN I AM LIABLE FOR THE WHOLE PRODUCT AND I AM THEN AUTOMATICALLY FORCED TO BUY IT!!! I AM SORRY JC951t, BUT WHAT KIND OF A WAY IS THAT TO TREAT A CLIENT??? SHOULD I JUST TAKE THAT AS NOTHING EVER HAPPENED?? AND BY THE WAY HE STARTED CALLING ME CRAZY, BECAUSE HE HAD NEVER IN HIOS 30 YEARS OF DEALING WITH PA-EQUIPMENT HEARD ANYTHING SO LUDICRES!!! SHOULD I JUST PUT UP WITH THIS JC951t??? NOOOOO JC951t, I AM SORRY, BUT THATS JUST NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!! I mean if he had nothing to hide, why not just do it and yes you are right indirectly I may be accusing him of having tampered with the item, but JC951t, what about my security for buying a genuien product? Should I just put 3000 euros on the table, with no guarantees (because he didn't offer any guarantees either and HE DIDN'T EVEN WANT ME TO OPEN IT, ONCE IT GOT HOME, AFTER I HAD ALREADY PAYED!!!). So this means this he lastly simply didn´t want to sell me the item, because I had told him that I WOULD open it, once I got home and if there was anything the wrong with the player or something was missing and if he did not then immidiately return the money to me (and I the player of course), then I would write about him and his product in all the forums and web-sites I could find. Now I know of course that this is intimmidating from my side, JC951t, but JC951t what about my security??? should I just put down the money, with no guarantees or nothing and then when I came home and opened it and found that the Double Crowns were replaced with normal TDA1541's (its a thought example of course), what should I do then??? Should I alone just take the whole burdon of the deal and then in process not be able to sell the item for NEARLY the same price, because you know very well, that if a buyer should buy it from me and he asked me to open the lid on it (And I WOULD do it, also for the sake of myself, so that the buyer couldn't come back later and accuse me for having done any tampering with the item) and if he then saw that the Double Crowns were gone, YOU KNOW THEN that he wouldn't pay even HALF the price for that item, that is if he would even buy the item AT ALL and YOU KNOW I am right. So I am just asking, WHY SHOULD I STAND WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS IN THE END??? I AM SORRY JC951t, BUT I AM JUST NOT GOING TO RISK THAT AND I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU DO NOT ALSO SEE IT FROM THE BUYERS POINT OF VIEW, BECAUSE YOU KNOW VERY WELL, THAT IF I FIRST GET HOME AND OPEN THE PLAYER AND FIND THAT SOMETHING IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, THEN THE SELLER WOULDN'T GIVE A RATS *** (SORRY THE LANGUAGE) ABOUT ME AND WOULD CERTAINLY NOT GIVE ME THE MONEY BACK, HE WOULD PROBABLY JUST SAY, THAT IF SOMETHING IS NOT THE WAY IT SHOULD BE, IT IS AN ERROR FROM THE FACTORY (SINCE IF WE SHOULD BELIEVE HIS WORD IN THIS MATTER, HE IS THE FIRST OWNER AND SO NO OTHER FIRST OWNER, COULD HAVE TAMPERED WITH IT, BEFORE HIM) AND THEN I WOULD JUST BE STANDING THERE WITH MY LONG HAIR AND IDIOTIC LOOK SAYING OKAAAYYY!!!??? CAN YOU NOT SEE THE PROBLEM FROM MY POINT OF VIEW, JC951t??? That is EXACTLY WHY I wanted to open it IN THE SHOP IN FRONT OF EVERYBODYS EYES, SO THAT THEY COULN¨T COME BACK LATER AND SAY THAT IIIIII HAD TAMPERED WITH IT!!! THIS WAS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO AVOID AND THAT'S WHY I ASKED TO HAVE IT OPENED BEFORE I PUT DOWN THE MONEY!!!

Sincerely Stax.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Opinions?
You and the owner created a situation that only both of you can solve.
I fail to see how any opinion from anyone here would make a difference to that situation.
Besides, this forum is about audio, not disputes between people.
My advice?
Find yourself a vendor who is willing to show you what you want to see. (Which is not necessarily what you will get as there are many fake S2’s around.)
Rare item?
One day another CD-7 will show up.

Hi,

This probably doesn't help but I can see it from both sides.

Your request is not unreasonable as you are concerned that the converters may have been replaced. On the other hand though, he is a dealer used to just selling equipment without people asking to see what's going on inside the cases. You certainly wouldn't expect such a request for a new piece of equipment.

To follow your Ferrari analogy what you are asking is to remove the engine covers and verify that the correct engine is fitted. The seller might have a valid concern about doing this on the CD7 since undoing the screws may chip the paint around the mounting holes.

There are still people out there who have some old (genuine) S2s among the many fakes for sale but you'll need to pay for them (around $100 each last time I looked). I have some very good sounding TDA1541As from the 98 production. I don't know how they compare to the older graded production runs but I'm quite happy with the sound given what I paid for them.

I'm sure the last CD7 to sell on Ebay didn't fetch anything like 3000EUR. I think you should move on from this and perhaps even consider buying a cheaper TDA1541A based player and spending the difference modifying it.

Cheers,

Jon

Marantz CD-7

Hi Cal Weldon:

I did not wish to seem like I was yelling at anybody, only that my frustration about this seller, really got me sad and frustrated, because damn I was looking forward to listening to this famous CD-Player and having it in my Home and I honestly didn´t think that it would promt such a fierce argument, but it doesn't really matter now, since the seller won't even talk to me now, so I guess that's that. Now I can only look forward and hope somebody has another CD-7 which they are interested in selling or knows someone who does. I did not have any bad intentions at all, I just wanted to asure myself that I got an Original CD-7, but apparently he didn't want to show this players Originality, so who know maybe he DID have something to hide after all, we will never know...

Sincerely Stax.

Marantz CD-7

Hi Netlist:

I did not want the opinions of anyone to change the outcome between the seller and me, because you are right as far as that only him and I can solve that. What I DID want your oppinion on, was whether or not You believed that I went too far in asking him to remove the lid of his CD-7, for me to verify the players originality, because since his reaction was so extreme, I for a moment wasn't sure whether what I requested was out of line or simply going too far in a sales deal. I myself went all the way to Hong Kong to retrieve my beloved Stax DMA-X2 Class A Monaural Power amplifiers, which are even more rare then the CD-7 (only about 100 units ever made, in comparison to the CD-7's 750 units) and the owner opened BOTH units, WITHOUT me even asking, so that I could verify for myself, that they were both genuine and the Stax DMA-X2 do not only have 4 or 5 screws, but like 15-20 screws each to get the lid off, but he still did it, as was it the most natural thing in the world, exactly because he knew that there are fakes out there on the market or at least people who tamper with such high-end gear. THIS was what I wanted and you know after the seller of my Stax DMA-X2 had unscrewed and removed the lid ro show me their originality, I had no problems what so ever in paying him the money he asked for them, because he had shown himself as a responsible and honest seller...

And Yes hopefully someday another CD-7 will show up. Again if anybody knows anyone who is willing to sell, please notify me.

Sincerely Stax.

P.S. if You wish to see my setup, here it is:

http://www.nerds.dk/?page=visgalleri&id=609

and

http://www.nerds.dk/?page=visgalleri&id=417

Marantz CD-7

Hi JonHarrison:

But of course I would never request such a thing with either a completely new product, nor a newer used product, like for instance the Marantz SA-7S1, because even if somebody had tampered with it, you could at the very end, just send it to Marantz and have it restored to its originality, but JonHarrison, you just can't do that with the CD-7, because Philips do not produce these Double Crown D/A-Converters anymore and original Double Crowns are very very hard to find on the market (as you yourself point out), that is the ONLY reason really, why I wanted to be so maticulous about this machine in particular

Regarding the price, then to a certain extent you are right, but then again not completely, because although some sell for less, there are some of them, which also sell for that price. See for example this auction here (and please note that the price is in £ (GBP) Great British Pounds):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marantz-CD7-s...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Sincerely Stax

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.