PCM1792 help needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to build a DAC using a PCM1792, but it's behaving strange!

The DAC only works if I put my finger on the right side of the PCB - then it sounds realy nice! (no output without the hands on ) :confused:

It is wired "as in the data sheet", accept for not using a controller och having a passive I/V-stage.

I'm using transformers on the output, and they seem to work as the sound is good.

Using a CS8412 to feed I2S to the PCM1792.

I have the mode select pin set to high for I2S.

From the data sheet, the default settings should allow this combo without a controler!?

Any ideas what the problem might be?

The test circuit:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have the mode select pin set to high for I2S.

From the data sheet, the default settings should allow this combo without a controler!?

As has been mentioned the PCM1792 defaults to accepting 24 bit I2S data with an OS rate of 64x and a stereo output. I am sure you misinterpreted the data-sheet, which says the mode select pin has to be set high for the DAC chip to accept I2C commands for the accessing and modifying of the control registers. The other option is to control these via SPI when the mode select pin would be held low.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This DAC looks interesting. Is it a NOS version? What about the sound quality?

No not NOS, but this family is very good sounding. I use PCM1794A in current sum connection, mono mode into THS4131 differential amps and then transformers. I suspect direct driving transformers may be possible as with the 1792, but have not tried it.

The 1792 is not recommended for new designs, and has some features that you probably don't need like DSD support.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.