Using digital out from Discman - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2008, 07:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Using digital out from Discman

I am thinking about dismantling (actually already did it ) an old Sony Discman (D-E441) so as to put it in a nice micro enclosure similar to my micro amp (Amp 6 from 41Hz see also: AMP6 in twin cases)
Now I would like to try an optical out for a future, similarly enclosed, external DAC. Even found the correct pin out on the board. However since this player works at 2.5 to 3 volt (2 AA batteries) will it be able to correctly drive an external DAC?
The internal DAC is the TC 9348FN see also this link (especially page 15) http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/data...TC9438FN.shtml

So the question is: do DACs normally require TTL voltage levels or can they function with less. If not, how can you 'boost' the digital signal to the required output?
Old 1st April 2008, 11:11 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Since you are planning on using toslink I think it is a matter of finding a Toshiba TOTX series toslink transmitter that operates at around 3V. Alternately you can use spdif via coax which IIRC is around 1Vpp and would only require a pair of resistors..
Old 1st April 2008, 11:45 PM   #3
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Which line were you intending to get the SPDIF data from? If there is another chip upstream of the TC9348FN that outputs a SPDIF signal, fine. However, if you were intending on tapping pin 22 on the TC9348FN, I have bad news. This pin receives I2S format data, not SPDIF.

If you intend to make a DAC yourself, this is not to bad, as I2S format is superior to SPDIF, and it is easy to make a DAC that accept I2S. If your are going to buy one, the you have a problem, as they mostly take SPDIF, very few (very expensive) models take I2S.

Anton
Old 2nd April 2008, 06:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi AMC184,

Thanks for the useful info. Pin 22 indeed. I did not immediately learn from the schematics that pin 22 from the DAC is receiving I2S data. Further upstream is a BA6386K processor which receives signal from the optical pick up and in between sits a RAM controller SM5902BF which function is probably just (mechanical) shock protection. Have you have any experience with DIY I2S receiving DACS?
Old 2nd April 2008, 07:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Neither of the ICs you mentioned in your last post is the decoder/controller. The SM5902 is a RAM controller, the BA6386 runs the servos. What other chips are there on the board? The decoder/controller may have a SPDIF out pin. Otherwise you have two options:
- Add an I2S to SPDIF transmitter, such as the CS8406.
- Transmit the I2S directly, using something like a MAX234.

Anton
Old 2nd April 2008, 08:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Anton,

You are right about the BA6386 being only the servo controller. I meant the BU 9326. It's description says servo/digital signal processor. The only other chip on the board that could apply is the MC6BHC05L15 (what a code name) which is, IMO, a more general controller of the Discman performing functions like mute/resume/battery-status and driving the LCD display.
So does the BU9326 have a SPDIF out?
Old 2nd April 2008, 08:29 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Pin 43 on the BU 9326 maybe?
Old 2nd April 2008, 08:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Could you post a link for that BU9326 datasheet? I can't locate it online.
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I do not have the datasheet myself but the pic is a snapshot from the Discman service manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bu9326.jpg (56.9 KB, 218 views)
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:16 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Pin 69 is connected to the DAC (thus probably carrying the I2S signal) but how about pin 43?

Hide this!Advertise here!