Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Get rid of as many connections as possible on your output line. I have solderbefore cable directly on the output attenuator to eliminate reflection creation points.
And if you want a perfect 0,5V output, you need a 14.2dB attenuator.

I am using a Tee pad with (50 series, 32 shunt, 50 series). I have not tried the 50-75 yet.
I have selected the Tee pad because of lower resistance values in series with the signal. Jarek is very fond of his 50-75 pi-pad as well, so I would give it a serious try as well.
You can check my oscilloscope testing here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ansport-shigaclone-story-722.html#post3494010

Thank you for sharing your setup. I've removed the coax attenuator and put back the lpad I was using before. I will be playing with jareks 50-75 pi-pad using caddocks and shinkoh sometime this week.

Ive also replaced the c906 with russian k75 0.1uf and made an improvement. Soundstage is deeper and wider, more dynamic and smoother. I like it so far. Im waiting for a duelund 0.01 uf for the c906. Will report back with the results

Hi Dimitris,

In my case it means a 1000 uf after superregulation for the motors if I understand you right.
Both superreg designers state that this is not a good idea...;)

Well the 7808 datasheet also specifies small 330nF and 100nF ceramic capacitors, but here we are using that chunky electrolytic awesomeness :)

As I said the thing causes a mean voltage swing. And I bet that the gyrator on teddy's output won't help much with impedances and transients.

Just give it a try man. It s five minutes tops and you can always remove it and call me a moron :)

My personal opinion EI rules in digital components...

Today I finished the Mini PiTbull for my friend..that is the transport (tomorrow the separate quite big PSU).

Finished in ebony, cocobolo, marble, copper and brass.

index.php

index.php

Love the ebony Erik...

I cannot find it locally in a sane price, so I am using wenge instead. To be honest I like it more now that I have worked with it. Love its grain and long pores :) Although ebony seems to work better for vibration damping. But as I said, getting it in slabs or 50mm blanks is ridiculously priced...

Tubo do you by ay chance have a 0.01uF russian to compare too? I looked the duelund up... damn... 150$... on a sale....

Last edited:
Erik,

do you mind sharing the power supply setup for the transport of your friend.

thanks

Ofcoarse not.

Transformer-pre regulation-Teddy Pardo Super Regulation 8volt (motor)
Transformer-pre regulation-Burson Super Regulation 5volt (chip)
Transformer-regulation (leds)
Dexa Clock Supply

Schottky, Elna and Blackgates
Trannies are all EI.

The whole is sllver/cotton wired and has a small line filter and bybees.

index.php

Last edited:
Thanks Erik,

that is very impressive. I wish I could do quality work as you could. im only using 8volt ps for my whole setup.

Dimkasta,

I only have russian k40y9 0.01 uf on hand. I can send you a couple if you want. It might took a while for me to be able to compare it with the duelund. I compared the k40y9 0.01 with a k75 pio 0.1 and I preferred the k75. The k40y9 sounded a bit thin and bright. Soundstage was deep and wide with both. Bass is tighter with the k75. I ultimately preferred the k75 though I was comparing different values. It would have been fair if I was comparing the same values. The duelund beats both russian caps in all fields. I only have less than 20 hours on them so far and they already sound incredible.

Guys, let me know who wants the k40y9 0.01 uf caps. I have 7 on hand and willing for you to audition it.

Thanks guys

Hi guys,

since I've put in the 0.01 uf cap on the c906, it now has a hard time reading scratched cds. The 0.1uf cap did a better job in reading scratched cds. Anyway, im sticking with the 0.01 uf cap as it is just musical.

I have not compared 0.1 uf in different qualities...but then again a person cannot compare everything .

To me...it prooved over the last 5 years to be very stable with an 0.01 uF on c906.

Hi guys,

since I've put in the 0.01 uf cap on the c906, it now has a hard time reading scratched cds. The 0.1uf cap did a better job in reading scratched cds. Anyway, im sticking with the 0.01 uf cap as it is just musical.

True. This happens for me too.
I think of it kind of like when putting a better cartridge on a turntable.
You get better music, but it is also more sensitive to surface noise and imperfections.

Think of it this way if you treat your cd like a record (I always clean it with cd-enhancer and wipe it with sound cloth (anti static) and frequently demagnitize the particles in it before playing) skipping or not reading occurs seldom ( with 0.01uF on C906) and your listening quality is always top notch.

I learned that a cd is easily scratched so I have special bags (when they come in carton sleeves) and special cd boxes from Mobile Fidelity (lift mechanism).