Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Posted this in Swap Meet but I figure this is the place to ask:

I'm building a JVC EZ31-based clone (thanks Peter!) and wish to purchase two of the Citizen CSA309-16.9344MABJ-UB crystals (something tells me to get two due to rarity). In the US I can send a USPS money order with more than enough to cover the parts and hassle of posting them. (I quit my paypal account due to TOS changes requesting very personal information.) I'm also attempting to source the specified Black Gate caps at less than some of the astonishing market prices I've come across. Regards to all; very excited to get this working and playing!

Here is the spec for the crystal at DigiKey, although they don't stock it:

Invalid Request

Digikey does not carry it, but the datasheet indicates there is nothing special about the crystal.

Frequency tolerance : +/- 30ppm
Over temp range : +/- 30ppm
Aging (first Year) : +/- 5ppm
CTS claims typical first year aging of +/- 3ppm, 5ppm max
The last item is sometimes not specified. I've seen it as low as +/-3 ppm from some mfgs.

The series resistance is slightly higher (50R max) compared to the CTS ATS/ATS-SM series which calls out ESR at 40R max.

Both specify 100mW drive.

The CTS parts call out slightly more loading capacitance (20pf) so you might need to tweak the cap values.

Kermit100,

I think Tibi has already discussed the LC78602 chip. Search back a couple of pages and I think you will find the details.

This controller uses an LED display instead of the LCD display. Keep the display from the boombox.

Since you have the boombox, there is no reason you can't salvage the parts from it and build a player.

Is there any advantage sonic wise with lcd screens? Or would this fact limit the project capabilities in some way? I bought two of the CD player units. I haven't pulled apart the other one yet but it does have an LCD screen with an ir sensor. Would this one be a more suitable alternative?
I shall also trail back a few pages and have a look.
Thank you

I implemented separate 5V supply using Peter's recommended
regulator.

There is sonic improvememt. But I have a problem. It
takes longer than usual to read TOC, play for a while and skips.

When I reverted back to internal supply, it plays perfectly.

What is causing this problem? Help appreciated.

Goh

I implemented separate 5V supply using Peter's recommended
regulator.

There is sonic improvememt. But I have a problem. It
takes longer than usual to read TOC, play for a while and skips.

When I reverted back to internal supply, it plays perfectly.

What is causing this problem? Help appreciated.

Goh

You have a grounding issue, or one of your 5V supply is noisy/oscillating.
Take care to keep ground in a star fashion.
Which board do you use - JVC or Shiga ?

Regards,
Tibi

You have a grounding issue, or one of your 5V supply is noisy/oscillating.
Take care to keep ground in a star fashion.
Which board do you use - JVC or Shiga ?

Regards,
Tibi

Thank you Tibi. I use JVC boombox board.
I replaced the op amp with lower frequecy one, but still
not reading well.
I will rebuild the regulator and see how it works.
Can Q902 be removed making sure there is 8V supply
to the motor control chip?
BTW is there a provision in you new board for separate 5V
supply and do you have 5V supply board?

regards
Goh

Goh,

Check if your regulators are not oscillating with an oscilloscope. Check also if output regulation voltage is in 5V +/-0.25V range.
Q902 can not be removed because IC903 provide system reset as well. If you remove Q902, in order to read TOC, you'll need to power off/on for each CD.

Yes, the Shiga MKII will have separate pcb for several 5V regulators, but in order to keep kit cost low these will not be populated by default. You'll have to buy parts and mount by yourself, or simply use other regulators like tentlabs, jung supergeg, alw etc.

Regards,
Tibi

Goh,

Check if your regulators are not oscillating with an oscilloscope. Check also if output regulation voltage is in 5V +/-0.25V range.
Q902 can not be removed because IC903 provide system reset as well. If you remove Q902, in order to read TOC, you'll need to power off/on for each CD.

Yes, the Shiga MKII will have separate pcb for several 5V regulators, but in order to keep kit cost low these will not be populated by default. You'll have to buy parts and mount by yourself, or simply use other regulators like tentlabs, jung supergeg, alw etc.

Regards,
Tibi

Voltages are within range. I will rebuild the regulator using pcb.
Peter Daniel implemented discrete 5V with improvements so I am trying hard.
Thanks Tibi

Goh

I was under the impression that my Salas powering the motors was not very effective with its 500mA. There was no blink on the leds, but the setting was rather marginal. So I boosted it today to give 1A.

There was a distinct increase in performance, but I have to say things are getting ugly in the PSU case... WAY too much heat going on...

I am considering using the 7808 again for that part. I m not really sure it is worth the effort. I will probably keep the extra salas and convert it to 5V in case I decide to separate the clock in the future.