Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I ordered two... so we ll see :)

Ha. Now there are "More than 10 available", when earlier it looked like there were only 12 available. I decided to take a chance as well and bought 2.

I contacted the seller identified by Tibi in post 7171. I asked if he had a 16 pin version of the one shown in Tibi's link. He responded with this

SF P101N 16 Pin Mechanism Original New Sanyo Laser Lens SFP101N 16 Pin | eBay

but that's the one that "everybody" has (and the one I had already bought myself). ;)

Jarek you' re gonna love this one :)

345759d1367360643-salas-hotrodded-blue-dcb1-build-dim_2044.jpg

Jarek you' re gonna love this one :)

345759d1367360643-salas-hotrodded-blue-dcb1-build-dim_2044.jpg

Incidentally, I am waiting for a new custom-made transformer that I specifically requested not to be stabilised with resin, so I can insert a piece of wood in the center, and fill the remaining space with beeswax. Talk about convergence of minds ;)

Enclosing a trafo completely in wood/wax might turn out not to be such a great idea as it could potentially lead to trafo overheating problems - both wood and wax are excellent thermal insulators. But with a good (low-loss) trafo it might just work.

JVC boombox

Hi guys, I did hear a clone. The source was JVC RCEZ51, and I was very impressed by the quaility of the transport. It is impossible to find RCEZ31 or 51. What do you think about RC-ST1, it is using LA9242M and LC78601RE chips as well, but the motor driver is different: LA6541. Thanks, János PS: I just have found this: THE JVC RC-ST1 is the SAME as EZ31 ( has the same IC'S) but is more difficult to mod because all the stuff is on 1 single PCB. # 5846.

Last edited:
I have added a 47uF cap at the output of salas to reduce the ripple and I have moved the salas ground connection from the 7808 ground to a close point on the pcb. The cap is directly connected there.

attachment.php

Noise has dropped to about 10mV from 40mV. Nice one, but I believe it can go even lower... plus I m getting some ringing so I need to check this a bit more...

Next step is to check it with a 100uF cap.

Sonically its quite nice atm, but I am trying an electrolytic at C8 which is still breaking in, so I will avoid making any direct comments on the sound part...

Attachments

• salassss.jpg
    salassss.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,499
Easter holidays here so things have been slow at the post office... Hopefully I ll get mine on Monday...

Any first sonic impressions?

Further to my tests with the salas psu, I have added a 47uF cap at the sense lines which eliminated the 5Mhz 200mV ringing and brought it up as straight 200mV random interference. To fight that I replaced the cap at the shiga entrance with a 1000uF and problem solved.

attachment.php

I don t think I can get it any lower than that...

Again, it s late so I cannot comment with certainty on the sonic change, but some low level listening shows significant clarity increase, especially in the mid frequencies separation. For example the reverb on pink floyd guitars is much much more easy to follow. There is the primary tone, and you can clearly hear at least two distinct delayed repeats, while before there was just a vague sense of depth...

Before wrapping everything up I think I will up the CCS current a bit too

Next stops: new mecha (like in previous post), spindle motor smoothing caps, test a very fast and small teflon on the sled motor, new 75R interconnect, lower inductance output resistors on a 75R-75R 14,2dB attenuation T pad, new wooden puck and finally chassis...
sigh... too much things to do... :D

Attachments

• cccccccc.jpg
    cccccccc.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,525
Easter holidays here so things have been slow at the post office... Hopefully I ll get mine on Monday...

Any first sonic impressions?

No, I'm afraid not. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my B&K 707 tube tester this weekend. I thought I'd be done by now. :sad:

Since no one seems to be chiming in about the Bobken, I think I'm going to go with Per Anders' SSR01 super regulator for my 5V choice. I ordered that Linear Audio volume where they did the super reg measured and listening tests. Interested in seeing what they have to say.

OK guys... if you are still using an rca socket on the shiga side REMOVE IT and solder a proper 75R interconnect directly to the attenuator.

I have replaced my crappy interconnect with some properly terminated Belden 83264 (removed the BNC from one side) and while it still is freshly soldered and pretty much non broken-in, the increase in stage width and depth is amazing...

It still has some rough points like a bit fluffy bass, but I will give it a few days before judging it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!icE-onHq5oeBPwCm9tjm!~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqN,!icE-onHq5oeBPwCm9tjm!~~60_3.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 569
I have replaced my crappy interconnect with some properly terminated Belden 83264 (removed the BNC from one side) and while it still is freshly soldered and pretty much non broken-in, the increase in stage width and depth is amazing...

If you're going to go this route, make sure the cable from the PCB digital out to the back panel is also 75 Ohm. One assumes you switched the output connector on the Shiga to a BNC. It's too late from the sound of it, but if you replaced one end with RCA to get to your DAC, you'd have been better off keeping the BNC and using a good BNC-RCA barrel (like a Bomar or similar).