Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Tony try to see if the spindle is bent. I have the same issue. From top the disc seems to not wobble at all, but if I check the disc from below, I can clearly see the mirror image in the disc surface wobbling as it rotates.
There is also a very distinct vibrating sound if I let the spindle rotate with no disc on it.

I'll take a look at the spindle.

Rudy, I guess what I'm struggling with is that Sean's measurements seem to have been done with the transport not spinning. So if 19.61 mm was good for him, why is the one of mine that measues near dead on to that having so much trouble, but the one that is much closer to the laser better?

dimkasta, are you at 19.61 mm?

I promised Jaroslaw (UncleLeon) to write about my findings considering resistor testing in the Mini PiTbull (lets say a shigaclone a bit over the top).

My personal favorites are the Allen Bradley Carbon resistors in a L-pad
300 ohm serie and 100 ohm shunt.....See if that can change

The claim that the "Invisistors" (as the homemade resistors from studio Zey are beeing called ) outperformed the Vishay Naked raised my eyebrow since I have been working with those resistors in my dac with great pleasure outperforming everything else on the market.

I ordered the homemade beauties from Jaroslaw (together with the homemade cap which will be tested later).

So now it was time to reveal which is the best for our mega transportproject.

The Allens were sounding very lush and warm..true to their carbon...tubish I would say...
The Vishays outperformed the Allens at a little cost..the warmth was gone a little.

The invisistors outperformed the Vishays....actually by a wide margin..for me a nobrainer full stop.
They give you detail and warmth...timbre in spades almost to an analog quality once you have heard those qualities present in e.g. Duelund cast caps you are hooked...well those qualities can be pointed out in the Invisistors as well...a great achievement and a musthave for the audiophiles aka musiclovers.
Get them before they get a Duelund pricetag :D

I played around with Lpad and Ipad changing resistor materials...but in the end it still was easy to detect the invisistors.

I have ordered the Pi pad config for my other audiobuddy...see if I can make him happy :D

index.php

index.php

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

index.php

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm starting to wonder about these mechanisms. With the one I've been using on my ready-made Shiga, Tibi's test CD showed quite a lot of difficulty getting read, and jumping from track to track was very problematic (I didn't put a scope on Track 13 yet). It will eventually play tracks, but only after a lot of hunting.

This mechanism has a platform height of .775"-.050" (the thickness of the frame). That makes the height from the top of the frame (converted) 18.42 mm - way less than what has been recommended. Now here's the interesting part. I tried the second mechanism, which has a height of .821"-.050" -> 19.59 mm, which is much closer to what has been suggested is the right height (when I measured it last time I must have been a bit off, as I indicated in a previous post that it was 19.61). This mechanism couldn't even read the number of tracks on the CD - tried but gave up and could do no better than show "00".

I know Sean Henderson found 19.58 mm to be a good height for the platform, but in my case this seems to be not right at all. I'm starting to wonder - is there any published documentation for this transport that identifies what the optimal platform height must be?

Well, I strongly beg to differ with Sean. I carefully lowered the platform on the transport that was giving me so much trouble. I took it to .782" - .050" (as close as I could get to the other one without getting too picky). So that makes the platform height .732" = 18.59 mm. I hooked this one back up and... it plays better than the other one! It's so smooth you can barely hear it. Track jumping is even and certain. There appears to be no hunting (so far).

I'm going to suggest that anyone else with uncertain transport motion try (carefully!) to adjust the platform height to 18.59 mm from the top of the frame to the resting surface of the platform.

The invisistors outperformed the Vishays....actually by a wide margin..for me a nobrainer full stop.
They give you detail and warmth...timbre in spades almost to an analog quality once you have heard those qualities present in e.g. Duelund cast caps you are hooked...well those qualities can be pointed out in the Invisistors as well...a great achievement and a musthave for the audiophiles aka musiclovers.

Erik, how does the top to bottom extension, control, and recreation of space compare to the Vishays?

Erik, how does the top to bottom extension, control, and recreation of space compare to the Vishays?

It sounds cliche...but you do not even pay attention to that..

The way it went..I will tell you...

We listened to a track of Vivaldi HQ cd ánd Lauri Anderson Bright Red with the Allen Bradleys in.
We went back to the beginning of the track for a minute...trying to memorize what we heard...

The Invisistors went in (took a minute)...track was put back on and both immediately said ....yeah this is better full stop.

So lets say you put the Vishays Naked Foils in and you are convinced you have the best
(top end-depth-pinpoint-realism... you name it).........................you don't ;)

We had a piece of paper on our lap to make remarks for each resistor but it is so present with the invisistors that you do not have to take notes. ;)

The Invisistors went in (took a minute)...track was put back on and both immediately said ....yeah this is better full stop.

So lets say you put the Vishays Naked Foils in and you are convinced you have the best
(top end-depth-pinpoint-realism... you name it).........................you don't ;)

We had a piece of paper on our lap to make remarks for each resistor but it is so present with the invisistors that you do not have to take notes. ;)

Sigh. I was afraid of this. ;)

Regarding the Pi-pads, I did a quick test, and I am quite confident that my suggested Pi-pad values (i.e. 125-139-125) perform better than 100-300-100. I am yet to try the solution suggested on the Polish forums.

So, uncle_leon, if there are more of us crazy enough to want to buy those Invisistors, have you setlled on the optimal configuration and values?

Thanks Peter. The more I thought about it, the more I thought I might be able to do something with wood. Even though it was for test purposes only, my first Shiga is already mounted to 3/4" hardboard - which is fairly dense. I was thinking of getting some 1/4" kiln-dried red oak to build sides and a top. If I get enough wood I might eventually be able to fashion the opening for the laser head. :xfingers:

I received the ebay mechas today and just hooked one up.
Nice one. No more wobbling and reads all my CDs. It s just that some copies are skipping for a split sec some times. And the sled motor makes a really weird and loudish noise... Quite different from the sound that the one Tibi sent me. Kind of liek whistling when micro-correcting and loudish kinda like vibrating when switching tracks.
I m quite tired now to check it or try a second one...
Tomorrow I ll try to find some time to do some proper listening and perhaps add the caps and the twisted pairs on the motor cabling...

Damn... there are too few hours in a day...