Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I have just added them in mine.
The TOC seems to be read a bit faster. Unfortunately the bent rotor and the wobbling puck do not allow for further testing... The CD cannot read anything past track 3 in most CDs :(

New puck was shipped today.

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• 2013-02-17-078.jpg
    2013-02-17-078.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 486
Last edited by a moderator:
Erik, would you let us know about the people with the delrin puck when you find out if they still do them?

Fran

Hi Fran,

Thanks for the drawing although I found it yesterday myself :D

I went today but it was a little disappointing.....
I tried to order two combo's but he sold his other company last october blah blah blah...but not everything in it...blah blah....eventually he will phone me tomorrow if he stll can be of service...

Good thing he remembered me crystal clear...:)

I did some consumption measurements.

At rest (with non-moded display at full brightness) the transport pulls around 77mA

The usual track reading consumption was something around 280mA

During TOC reading and other phases like track switching, stopping, starting, error re-reading where the motors are heavily used for either moving stuff or breaking, I noticed consumption of up to 800mA, with more common something around 500-600mA.

This changed my Salas plans a lot... I will need some serious heatsinks now... :(

I did some consumption measurements.

At rest (with non-moded display at full brightness) the transport pulls around 77mA

The usual track reading consumption was something around 280mA

During TOC reading and other phases like track switching, stopping, starting, error re-reading where the motors are heavily used for either moving stuff or breaking, I noticed consumption of up to 800mA, with more common something around 500-600mA.

This changed my Salas plans a lot... I will need some serious heatsinks now... :(

The heavy-demand phases are very short and only happen occasionally, so as long as your heat-sink can handle the playback dissipation, you should be fine.

"245 euro for a combination (platform and puck) "
That's equal to about $315.00 Aussie dollars each and you ordered two!
That's more than the shiga kit all up.
All i can say is you are dedicated.
Regards Rob

It is all about what you want to achieve...:D

I have been busy with it for now almost 4 years (every now and then) and for 200 dollars (original opening post) you can have yourself a very nice transport which beats nearly all the good transports in the avarage hifi shops

However it is a bit ridiculess to think that it wins from the likes of Wadia, Mark Levinson and Cec (see my posts in the beginning).

The good news is that it DOES have potential to do so.....so let us say for 2000 dollar you will be able to reach that (different) goal and will be shocked by the results.

Why..because of the synergy chip and laser which results in an analog quality which the top high end does not have...full stop!

I personally can speak out of experience having a lot of gear myself and I am able to listen with it in my "network" of dutch audiobuddies.

The lot will say too much money..but than again those hiigh end makes do not come cheap either.

Besides the money you also have to be dedicated to build the contraption which takes many hours but you can see that is FUN and VISION.

Anyway I am now commisioned to build a mini based on my own PITBull which may not cost more than 2000 dollars on material (the rest is love...) so I will keep you informed.

Last edited:
Today I spend a while on the psu box...Furutech 220V entree and Neutrik 6-pole connector.
No clock connector yet...I first want to know which clock it is going to be...I have got the Tent, Trichord 4 and Neutron and for instance the latter has more wiring (comunication to the psu)...

The trafo is build in Germany to spec..I chose 12-0-12V 1A (twice) and 9-0-9V 1A (once)
they did a nice job but it takes ages (2-3 months).

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Erik, that looks great. Can you tell me what size the blackgates that you are using are? It looks like you have 2 after the regulator. I'm working on getting things together to finally put mine in a proper enclosure. I have lots of ideas but just can't nail down the one that I like the most.