Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I ditched the complete platform and implemented the new platform with a Delrin spindleplatfom and puck.

I also placed the 0.1 uF on the motors.

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Much better performance......TOC reading much faster on originals as well as burned cd's. (even the black coated ones)

Last tracks on cds never loose focus.

Laser far less agitated throughout the playback....and believe me I have done tests on four standard platforms and 6 pucks.(a year ago even more tests)

Deviations in vertical and horizontal plane were onacceptable for me...even if I took the excentric hole of the cd (red book tolerances...behhhhh) into the equazion.

I know a lot of you guys can live happily ever after with the standard rig/platform (big bang for the buck indeed) but to me that is out of the question....especially if you want to evaluate serious upgrades or do time taking comparisons ...you simply cannot have any "basic" disturbances/malfunctions of any kind.

The motor caps I simply did them on the fly on a no questions asked base I think that is a no-brainer for a dollar or so.

Last edited:
Nope I did not compare the motors with and without caps sorry.
The Delrin Platform and puck are very light and I have been playing with the same set-up for years.
My Delrin source is still the same in Holland “ Quartel Modelbouw” my plans are to go over this week and try to order a new set
(if you would be so kind to post the technical drawing…a bit too many posts) and will let you know if
they still can/will do it…..it is not cheap as I recall….but then again I have two faultless combo’s from them.

I do not know what you mean with compatible...it is miles better :D

I have just added them in mine.
The TOC seems to be read a bit faster. Unfortunately the bent rotor and the wobbling puck do not allow for further testing... The CD cannot read anything past track 3 in most CDs :(

I must admit that I thought my TOC reading was quite fast....maybe faster than usual but at the time I did not thought much of it, but now you mention it...:)

Not past track 3 ...:eek:....it must be seriously bent