Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Same here with building a salas 8v reg. I found this by Peter; (refers to the current drawn?):

"I measured it once and IIRC it was prrox 250-300mA at start up and about half of that at normal play."

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/160373-cd-transport-3.html#post2415239

When you figure out what resistors to use (R101, R105 etc) in the Salas reg, appreciate it if you could let me know so I can check if I calculated them correctly.

Thanks

Hi guys,

Im building a salas 8v regulator for power supply. Can someone pls tell me what is the current load of the whole unit.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Marcus 1,

thanks for the info. based on my calculations for an 8V dc out with 500 mA ccs, the value for R101= 6.6ohm, and R105= 830 ohms.

i haven't completed the regulator as of yet as im waiting for the parts.

thanks

For the CSS part 6R6 sounds about right if we use 4x 2.1V leds for the reference.
And for the shunt part, ~830R makes sense for 2x 1.9V leds and a jfet with 5mA idss.
The values are conditional anyway. We need to use trimmers to figure the actual values.

Oh and for a 12V input voltage, the heat should be around 2W on each IRF, so small heatsinks should be adequate

nswithpsu.jpg

Today I bought a Dexa clock with dedicated psu.
I will try it against the Tent with psu and Trichord 4 with nc psu.

A bit of an educated guess but trying to learn from fora is useless all you read is about people attacking eachother (even the well known clockdesigners) and all based on assuming what is a bad or a good clock...nobody actually heard them let alone bought them to compare :rolleyes:

Anyway it comes my way and the best sounding (f&ck the specs) will stay in the Mini PiTbull :D

Hi,
This isn't Shiga anymore but this is not a point of our project.The ingredients are first quality so why not cook something better.
This is semi-analog device now because track skipping for example ,if automatically operated ,would last few minutes.So for shorten the seek time I help find track manually ,like analog turntable.I have optimized actuating speed so that the sled motor is constantly running and the lens is reading data effortlessly.Just like analog TT do.The whole CD project problem in my opinion is in the wrong designing in 80' because of ongoing consumerism world ideas ,fast ,fast ,fast.They forgotten that the music must be enjoyed slowly most of the time except if you are not in the car or jogging. The sound can't be characterized nor as digital or analog.It is very similar to 24bit computer audio (HD tracks for example) reproduced on Linux system and first class converter and what is most important you listen to the music as an analog LP instead to constantly skip from track to track with cell phone as my friends with such Linux systems do.I didn't have the chance to listen to even one of many song that we heard from beginning till the end since there is always huge music collection that attempt the user to listen whole quantity in one breath since music software is immaterial ,all in the hard drive chosen instantly by cell phone in the pocket.This is silicon thread driven system.Motor pulley 0,3mm in diameter is driving two video heads.On the second video head there is a needle 0,15mm ''thick'' which winch thread ,connected to disc placed over fixed lens which is damped with paraffin to kill unwanted energy which is produced by focusing.The disc is floating on air bearing and motor is paraffin treated too.The sled motor is decoupled from transport chassis by carbon stick tip.The whole transport is hooked on three springs.The transport is quiet as analog turntable now.
There is no more digital signature evidence left ,no jitter ,you can't tell if it is analog or digital ,it have best of both not the worst as can be heard on some ,so to say hi-end players with unnatural wannabe vinyl smoothness :).
I can't offer you any drawings because it is project without the project ,only execution from imagination. Because of belt drive you have freedom to place motor anywhere and connect the laser to it restlessly without the need of micrometer precision but I will try to clarify the concept if somebody want to try something similar.Most important point is giving the laser all the time it needs to read the data without going back to pick what is missed in first attempt by optimally synchronizing sled motor and laser motion. If I am not mistaken this is the point of hard drive Linux systems ,ripping the music several times to pick up lost data during one of previous unsuccessful attempts.There is much more music on 16bit disc that can be extracted this way ,in real time ,not multiple 48x or 52x.

Attachments

• Picture 185.jpg
    Picture 185.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 554
  • Picture 188.jpg
    Picture 188.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 547
  • Picture 190.jpg
    Picture 190.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 549
Anyone have any thoughts on what the right material would be for the standoffs for the turntable? 18-8 Stainless? Aluminum? Brass? Maybe Nylon would be a better choice as it would isolate the turntable from being directly grounded through the screws into the metal baseplate (in other words the grounding would be only through the wired ground point).

Anyone have any thoughts on what the right material would be for the standoffs for the turntable? 18-8 Stainless? Aluminum? Brass? Maybe Nylon would be a better choice as it would isolate the turntable from being directly grounded through the screws into the metal baseplate (in other words the grounding would be only through the wired ground point).

When I was testing with standard mechanism the best result was carbon fiber tube with metal screw inside the tube.If you want you can than add some nylon ,rubber , or other material washers between the screew-carbon-mechanism assembly to fine tune the sound of the transport.

When I was testing with standard mechanism the best result was carbon fiber tube with metal screw inside the tube.If you want you can than add some nylon ,rubber , or other material washers between the screew-carbon-mechanism assembly to fine tune the sound of the transport.

Nice. I'm still wondering, though, about using metal screws and creating multiple ground points through the frame.

I was thinking of using a steel or nylon washer below the frame with a coil spring on the washer to create a "floating" transport. Washer and nut on top to hold things down, but in effect not hard mounted. Spring stiffness can be adjusted with the nut to perhaps tweak the sound.

Didn't some of the higher end transports use floating or bushing mounted mechanisms?

Today I bought a Dexa clock with dedicated psu.
I will try it against the Tent with psu and Trichord 4 with nc psu.

A bit of an educated guess but trying to learn from fora is useless all you read is about people attacking eachother (even the well known clockdesigners) and all based on assuming what is a bad or a good clock...nobody actually heard them let alone bought them to compare :rolleyes:

Anyway it comes my way and the best sounding (f&ck the specs) will stay in the Mini PiTbull :D

That is a wonderful idea, I was contemplating doing this sort of comparison myself when I was doing my big capacitor tests. Clocks and oscillators are among the most contended Shiga components - there is little agreement at all (which is why I hesitate to include the subject in my Shigaclone guide).

If you would accept a suggestion from me, consider conducting your tests with all clocks powered from identical PSUs (or PSUs based on the same topology where differing clock requirements preclude using the exact same PSU). I think it is safe to assume that the clock's PSU will affect the resulting sound, which in turn could result in skewed or downright false conclusions regarding the performance of the clocks themselves.

Hi,
This isn't Shiga anymore but this is not a point of our project.The ingredients are first quality so why not cook something better.
This is semi-analog device now because track skipping for example ,if automatically operated ,would last few minutes.So for shorten the seek time I help find track manually ,like analog turntable. (...)

Hi alphaigor, I love how focused and radical your approach is. Your rig reminds me of nemo1968's hand-built Shiga mech:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/120229-finally-affordable-cd-transport-shigaclone-story-94.html#post2543016. I wonder if you have seen it?

In my experience brass is the best (or copper or bronze, if you can get them). These three are the best "vibration conductors", which is the most important factor when mounting the mech rigidly. Grounding is irrelevant, as the mech frame is not connected to any electrical circuit (and if there are any spurious induced currents, it is certainly better to dissipate them over a large conductor, than try to contain them in a small frame).

hi uncle Leon,

You are right there is no agreement at all with clocks....but that is because quite a few people pick the opinion of somebody else as a reference instead of a clock.....but the point is I agree totally with myself :D

I will post stuff because I guess I need an audience every now and then ...hahaha.

I agree on the psu it will cary a strong signature but I will judge it as a whole because I think the designer who claims building a top clock should be able to build a top psu....besides that there is hardly a price difference between the psu and I will not build a psu for the clock myself.(building for a friend)...

I ll promise if I DO get carried away I will give it a shot and start figuring it all out...because only then I ll implement it in my own PiTbull....

But to avoid discussions ...IT IS FOR MY OWN FUN ...and if it bothers some (actually quite a few if I recallpoint the tube-clock-topic overhere where they nearly killed eachother. :rolleyes:)
please skip my clocknonsense and listen to.....or measure whatever ....your own clockchoice....cool with me

Last edited:
OMG John that's beautiful! Did you make that box? Where did it come from?
Thanks tonyptony,
I recycled the box, it started life as a "Scan Do Pro 11" video scan converter that had blown itself up so thoroughly that the box and a few BNC conectors were the only things left of value.
I gave it new aluminium front and back panels along with a 10mm MDF CD "shroud", shaped, using a template, on the router table. The laser shield is a length of aluminium plate I had laying about.
Transport controls are big rocker switches with push down/play, push up/pause and similar for skip forward/back.
The look owes a bit to the Bel Canto CD player, but different enough, I hope, that I don't find hired goons at my door.:)

amazing idea alphaigor... as you said it s.... something else :)
really impressive...

How do you control the sled and the spindle? Have you bypassed the controller entirely?

Not at all.Both motors are still controlled by original PCB.I just wired controller with longer wire.If you make long run of wire for sled motor you must twist two wires together otherwise you get strange sounding music ,somehow distorted.When it is twisted the sound is clean as no extension wire is used.Spindle wire it's not contributing to overall sound.I just reduced sled motor motion ratio.Now it is installed pulley of 0,3mm instead of gear so the motor is constantly running and that way don't disturb the lens reading as with original mechanism where gear always go back and forward stressing the reading by constantly correcting lens position under desired pit.The motion of the sled is smooth as hydraulic arm movement and that result in outstanding sound quality without digititis disease :cool:.It is still automated player but way slower in it's functions ,for example ,track skipping last few minutes but this can be done manually like on analog turntable arm.That is not the problem because I simply forgotten remote and I enjoy discs from beginning till the end like when I listen to LP-s.
Reading and play starting are slower too.That is lasting 5-10sec but player don't refuse non perfect discs anymore.It reads a burned disc that I stored on the shelf for 5 years and the reading was impossible for any player which I tried.Execution of that design is tricky to do but it is the best mode I have done to that transport.
The CD machine is even more sensitive to vibrations than analog TT ,not in identical way.With elimination of vibrations around the laser I got the sound which confused many persons who entered listening room.The question was: ''Is this TT or CD ,I don't see vinyl spinning.Why the sound isn't digital?'' The music breathe more like analog disc ,it fullfill the room ,it have more 3D presence which is obviously missed by wrong concept started by S/P many years ago.