Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Hi Tibi,
Finally found the problem and fixed it. The CD platter was loosen a bit and it was pushed in by a small amount which causes probelm in focusing correctly. I pull the platter slightly upward, tested with cdrom, SACD and those weren't able to read before, all can be read without probelm. Laser is not hitting the CD neither. Tomorrow I will put a drop of glue in the center of the platter to fix the position. It is playing nice music now. Thanks.

6C397159-D9DE-436D-AEBF-F2DCAEFFE5C3-36535-00001E3491F1A155.jpg

Like your case design, any price indication ?

Hi Tibi,
Finally found the problem and fixed it. The CD platter was loosen a bit and it was pushed in by a small amount which causes probelm in focusing correctly. I pull the platter slightly upward, tested with cdrom, SACD and those weren't able to read before, all can be read without probelm. Laser is not hitting the CD neither. Tomorrow I will put a drop of glue in the center of the platter to fix the position. It is playing nice music now. Thanks.

Like your case design, any price indication ?

Many thanks for your diagnostic, Syklab.

The case presented here is only a prototype. In order to make a product I need to get a source for all case parts. This is the hard part. Afther that I can calculate final price and make the product available in webshop.
There will be at least two versions and two price ranges based on different materials. One cheap and one expensive.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi Tibi,

my colleagues at audiostereo.pl have found a discrepancy between the original and the new clone both in schematics and PCB: R36 that is connected to pin 42 (-RFS) on the second end should be connected to V1/VCC1 (analog) not to V2/VCC2 (digital), right?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for this very good observation. In case you are using separate power supply on ASP, it make sense to connect R36 to analog power section. Please also note that datasheet clearly specify that Vcc1 and Vcc2 should have same potential otherwise the chip will not work. With this in mind will be more indicated to provide a very clean power supply to pin diodes instead splitting the power for ASP.

I´ll come with more modifications when I finish with shippings.

Regards,
Tibi

Tibi I have just hooked up my kit and it seems to act strangely.

When I power it up, the motor that returns the eye to the center seems to work continuously making the plastic suspension thingy go ticktcitckitck and nothing more happens. LCD shows only the dashes flash.
Have I connected something wrong?

thanks again for a wonderful kit

Dim

Last edited:
Shiga Mounted and Tested Arrived!

Tibi,

The Shiga arrived! Other than to unwrap everything, I have not wired it up and I hope to do that soon.

On inspecting the Sanyo Transport, I noticed that the CD Turntable had been moved down on the motor shaft to the point it that a mounted CD will not clear the Laser Sled. The motor shaft was not bent.

Since this was reported by at least one other person, I decided to take some measurement off 2 spare Sanyo Transports for reference. Measured with a dial caliber from the top edge of the CD Turntable where the CD will rest on, to the top of the stamped metal "chassis", both of my samples measure 19.58 mm.

What I found in adjusting the CD Turntable that came with the kit is that the CD Turntable is not very tight on the motor shaft at all, or for that matter the 2 spare units. All of them are tight enough not to spin on the shaft on motor start up.

I am going to set the CD Turntable to the measured height 19.58 mm and actually test it to ensure it reads a good sampling of CD's and fine tune the height so that the laser head is close to its static position as possible when reading a perfectly flat CD. That will allow it the maximum amount of +/- laser servo travel for reading disc that are not perfectly flat. After that I will create an epoxy step on the shaft so that the CD Turntable remains at the optimal height to the shaft. You could superglue it in place as well.

Anyway, I hope this helps other folks who run into this problem.

Yep it was the cable after all.
It seems to operate ok now.

However, the turntable/puck/cd seems to wobble. The shaft/cd stays pretty much level and spins on its own with no significant vibration/noise, so I don t think it is a bent shaft.

The problem could be with the puck. The spindle is smaller than the hole and it plays in it (measuring it 5,83mm instead of 6mm).
It also appears to be off center by 0,1mm

you guys think this deviation is acceptable?

Some CDs seem to play ok but most do not get read only after many trials and play with sound scratches.

Please advise :( I m very frustrated :(

Regretfully, it is very easy to move the CD Turntable on the shaft...at least on my sample. Just be careful to pull straight up on it.

IF yours is tight, all the better, but then the better option then is to rig up something to support the bottom of the CD Turntable and then lightly tap the motor shaft with a drift pin until you get the CD Turntable to the correct height.

I would suggest the fine tuning I noted before epoxying or superglue application to the CD Turntable/Spindle. The superglue should wick in and set up fine.