Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Mounting:

Fully agree with above advice to skylab. I found that the results are very sensitive to any stress introduced into the frame. It is almost impossible to get perfect alignment using just bolts on a screw thread. The bolts will not be perfectly perpendicular to the their axes and certainly not in the same plane if there are more than two. We are talking microns here. I did not get it right until I had two spacers made from some aluminium tubing turned to equal lengths on a lathe. Even now I think I should get better ones made from a more solid material. If suitable mounting spacers are used, two diagonally opposed, then the frame can be screwed down onto them more tightly without introducing internal stresses. The difference that can be made by paying attention to this detail can make the difference between success and failure of your project.

I am very interested in the built kit from tvicol. I was wondering if the quality of the Spdif signal has been reported somewhere as I've searched but it is a VERY long thread. Also, is it good at reading all disc's even if slightly scratched?

Tibi, I like the enclosure you have displayed but will you consider doing a smaller case? A more compact case that will allow the disc to stand out more? It think it will give it a sleeker design.

Attachments

• acoustic-plan-drivemaster_src_1.jpg
    acoustic-plan-drivemaster_src_1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 470
  • imagesCARUGRP3.jpg
    imagesCARUGRP3.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
I am very interested in the built kit from tvicol. I was wondering if the quality of the Spdif signal has been reported somewhere as I've searched but it is a VERY long thread. Also, is it good at reading all disc's even if slightly scratched?

Tibi, I like the enclosure you have displayed but will you consider doing a smaller case? A more compact case that will allow the disc to stand out more? It think it will give it a sleeker design.

I may post few spdif oscilloscope pictures, but these will not tell too much about jitter and bit-perfect playback.
Shiga will play ok any disk in good condition. Slightly scratched is not a problem, but an old aluminium oxidated disk may generate a lot of noise.

The case was designed to accomodate a DAC as well, so for the time been I´ll not look for a smaller case.

Regards,
Tibi