Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Tibi,
any idea of time frame and cost on the enclosure? Will allowance be made for options such as different caps and other diyaudio oddities:D

I can not give a price at this time as there are still few parts who need to be made.
What I can disclosure is that the enclosure is a combination of acryl and wood.
We already made a prototype using forex instead wood and looks very promising.
There will be three wood options and I hope you will like our design, it is simple and elegant.

Regards,
Tibi

I can not give a price at this time as there are still few parts who need to be made.
What I can disclosure is that the enclosure is a combination of acryl and wood.
We already made a prototype using forex instead wood and looks very promising.
There will be three wood options and I hope you will like our design, it is simple and elegant.

Regards,
Tibi

what about a time frame. A pic would temper the impatient:)

Helo,

I've been trying to find varouis bits of info relating to this build, but as yet no luck via the 650+ pages! I am looking to build a Transport, DAC and AMP.
THe transport is this (will hopefully be it anyway)

Anyway would someone be able to answer the following questions:

If the mini kit is purchased what else is required to get an up and running system? (I assume all the other bits on the BOM?)

Would anyone be able to give me a rough idea of the cost of the system?

I have read that to connect to a DAC the digitial out signal is too high, I did find a mod for sorting out the levels but have lost it, is the mod required for connecting to the ebay DAC kits listed all over the shop!

Finally is it just a case of soldering all the bits on and the system will work?

Many thanks, please forgive the silly questions!

I am still assembling my boards and I have found that the connector listed for j4 and j10 will only fit on the wrong side of the two boards. This would put it behind the LCD on the display board. Also the part does not seem to come with the piercer for the ribbon cable and regardless of that I can find no source for the ribbon cable in North America. Has anyone from our side of the world come up with a solution for this? If not can I purchase these parts from you Tibi? Thanks in advance. ( :
I am using the 538-90584-1318 part from Mouser.

Last edited:
I have read that to connect to a DAC the digitial out signal is too high, I did find a mod for sorting out the levels but have lost it, is the mod required for connecting to the ebay DAC kits listed all over the shop!

This "mod" is also known as output resistors ;) They limit the current drawn from the LC78901 chip, and knock down the digital output voltage. They should be included in the new Shiga kit already (R48 & R49). In any case, most DACs would lock fine even without those resistors. See output resistors section in my Shigaclone guide.

I am still assembling my boards and I have found that the connector listed for j4 and j10 will only fit on the wrong side of the two boards. This would put it behind the LCD on the display board. Also the part does not seem to come with the piercer for the ribbon cable and regardless of that I can find no source for the ribbon cable in North America. Has anyone from our side of the world come up with a solution for this? If not can I purchase these parts from you Tibi? Thanks in advance. ( :
I am using the 538-90584-1318 part from Mouser.

I had the same problem, the mouser part is just as you described it it will only go in on the wrong side. I ended up buying the red farnell one that tibi uses.

Helo,

I've been trying to find varouis bits of info relating to this build, but as yet no luck via the 650+ pages! I am looking to build a Transport, DAC and AMP.
THe transport is this (will hopefully be it anyway)

Anyway would someone be able to answer the following questions:

If the mini kit is purchased what else is required to get an up and running system? (I assume all the other bits on the BOM?)

Would anyone be able to give me a rough idea of the cost of the system?

Finally is it just a case of soldering all the bits on and the system will work?

Many thanks, please forgive the silly questions!

Hello,

Mini kit will offer only critical and hard to find components.
All other parts are on BOM and can be purchased from Mouser, Digikey, Farnell, TME. In BOM you have all options, but please pay attention on cell comments and do not mix parts from Digikey with Farnell and Mouser.
As all parts are listed in BOM with code and direct links to distributor, just add them to your cart and you have a precise cost.

For digital output we have included on board output resistors.

Yep, just solder all parts and will work. Have a look on out webpage for more detailed info. There is a datasheet as well with construction details.

Regards,
Tibi