Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Goods arrived yesterday. Much thanks Tibi !
A question : some cd's play not very well ( scratch... not fluid ... ) : must the focus be adjusted? I have tried other lasers and they are all different : some of them don't even read the cd's. So what could be the problem?
But the sound is very good after a little burn-in.

You are welcome ! :)
If the CD is scratched than is normal to hear some noise.
LC78601 error correction is very basic and will perform CRC at some degree. In fact this is a main point why this transport is sounding so good.
Other DSP chips are performing very strong error correction but adding also significant jitter. For example, LC78622 have better error correction, but the magic is lost.
Normally you should not adjust anything, as the optics are already factory adjusted. Just use good CD´s.

Regards,
Tib

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I understand, but what's the reason that some lasers read very well and other lasers read bad on the same shiga print ? I have now 4 lasers and only 1 (or 2 of them ) read the cd's well. ???

I really hope the one that is reading well is from me. :D
There are several manufacturers who made this transport. Some of them are using original laser and pin diodes from Sanyo, others not.
Have a look in datasheet page 12.
http://vicol-audio.ro/docs/DA11VZ.pdf

During operation you can measure the voltage on J1 connector between 11 and 12 and adjust other mechanics the same.
Please let me know the results.

Regards,
Tibi

tvicol, Thanks for sendding me the transistor so promptly. I finally got the shiga working it is very picky with CD and only playing some after warming up but other than that it sounds pretty good. Thanks again will post my further adventures in the future.

You are welcome !

With which CD´s is picky ?
Are these original ones or CD copy ?

Regards,
Tibi

It really does'nt like Nora jones sunrise(original). I would consider it very un-scientific to use burn'ed CD's for testing purposes. ;) althou saying that I'm not sure to what point CD pressing plants respect red book standards... It will play fine after the shiga has been on for a while. I guess the next step will be to case her up and see if this issue resolves itself with burn in.

Note that i dont own this Sanyo transport.
I've had to adjust the laser power on an old xbox which got iffy when reading cheap writeable audio discs, it worked for the xbox, lost the guide about 4 hard drive crashes ago, but theres vids on you tube - search "benq laser pot tweaking"

I have tried six or seven burned CDs and all but one worked. They were mixed manufacturer, and mixed systems in that they were all sent to me by friends so they were not burned on the same CD-R mechanism.

All of the CDs I have tried (10-12) have worked flawlessly. The original problem I had was trying to read a bonus DVD with the CD player :eek: .

Hi Tibi,
Do you have somewhere, explanations for the color codes in the empty cells of colum "D": shipping status? Thank you

If the empty cell got a color, means that the goods are ready and need to be packed for shipping. Colors are indicating to my wife which postal office she need to go. :D One postal office is for some EU countries other postal office for NonEU and few other EU countries.
FYI, your Shiga is ready and will be shipped Monday. You'll get a mail from me next day Tuesday with tracking number and receipt photocopy.

Regards,
Tibi

If the empty cell got a color, means that the goods are ready and need to be packed for shipping. Colors are indicating to my wife which postal office she need to go. :D One postal office is for some EU countries other postal office for NonEU and few other EU countries.
FYI, your Shiga is ready and will be shipped Monday. You'll get a mail from me next day Tuesday with tracking number and receipt photocopy.

Regards,
Tibi

Thank you Tibi for the explanaions, I now understand. I see you have excellent internal administration set up!:D
I want to thank you and your wife for this great service you give us.:up:
I will be watching my mail on monday, thanks again.