Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Sanyo SF-P101N

Folks,

The transport/laser is a Sanyo SF-P101N, which is available on Ebay from a number of suppliers complete, or available as just the laser pickup assembly. Prices range $12 to $30 USD.

I bought 3 of them for backup parts awhile back, but a word of caution.
Check for binding of the laser pickup assembly on the guide rod and stamped frame by turning the laser pickup assembly drive motor by hand...the laser pickup assembly should move very smoothly with no binding. One of the units I received was binding on the guide rod due to misalignment of the 2 cast in plastic laser assembly through holes that slide on the guide rod. Some careful lapping of the through holes to increase the clearance fixed the problem.

Sanyo SF-P101N | eBay

Tibi,
A question about the 5v circuit.
If I use a separate regulator for the 5v circuit and power it with batteries, leaving the 8v circuit (reg) to be powered by a mains transformer, couldn't that introduce some grounding issues? Do you think it would be better to leave both circuits powered by the same battery supply?

LA6541, beside BTL drivers have a 5V regulator. This regulator will perform a power low and reset of LA9242 and LC78601 at very new CD reading. To separate 8V section from 5V you need to use regulators who can be enabled/disabled via a dedicate pin.
We have tried this with unsatisfactory results.
Also, using batteries, due their intrinsic chemical noise, which is in high frequency domain, IMHO are not recommended.
What I recommend is a supercap, who can be charged between each CD load.

Regards,
Tibi

simple puck idea

the attached file is a crude drawing of the puck i plan on making. it should be easy to do with simple hand tools (granted you need a reverse tap/die).

Attachments

• puck.png
    puck.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 445
SF-P101N CD Mechanism

Is any of those identical to the one offered here, or can serve as a direct substitute?

Joshua,

The SF-P101N CD Mechanism is the same unit you will be getting in the group buy. See past below post from Tibi below...

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
Tibi, is this the same mechanism which you are ordering?

SF-P101N CD Mechanism SFP101 16 Pins Sanyo Philips Alba | eBay

Oh, and while I know this will be of no real use to virtually anyone else, would anyone know just what it would take to fit a ST glass output to this design? I have two DACs (EAD and Wadia) and both have the ST glass input. Right now I consider that superior to others using my current transport. In my dream for this DIY project I'd love to be able to have a quality ST output available.

Yes, it is the same mechanic.

ST glass output it is an option I´ll consider.
Maybe it will be another separate board with reclocking and AES/EBU, S/PDIF, Toslink and AT&T ST glass.
Do you have any recommendation here for a good ST glass output?

Regards,
Tibi

Sean,

We are still working on the remote and CD puck.
AES/EBU, S/PDIF, Toslink and AT&T ST glass is an option to consider, but first we need to have all pieces of this project in place.
As you can see, sourcing of components is a pain. Making custom components is another pain.
I´m sure that getting a decent ST glass, at a ¨normal¨ price, will be another challenge.
Regards,
Tibi

The datasheet for LC78601 doesn't state this, but the digital output impedance is most likely 75Ohm, as per S/PDIF standard. Did you try the 75Ohm Pi-pad I suggested earlier? I built one with my hand-made resistors (which were accurate to +/-0.1R), and I found it to sound far superior to the original L-pad (the detail and resolution took a leap, in particular). I have not tried any further combinations because I assumed 75Ohm should be optimal... But of course, I will be the first to admit that in the audio world theory and practise are often two different stories.

Datasheet states 12mA output current for DOUT, so loading it with 75 ohm is very bad practice. Minimum load impedance is 390 ohm or more.

Hi Tibi,

Could you invoice me please for 3 sets of original transistors and 3 LCD displays also - sorry for any misunderstanding .:)

Danny

Here's a copy of the paypal invoice.
Date Description Quantity Unit price Amount
31/7/2012 Shigaclone PCB set - This include PCB; CD mechanic SFP101N-16P; chipset LA9242M, LC78601RE, LA6541, transistor set 2SA608NF, 2SB764E, 2SA1342; custom multiplexed LCD. x 3 €18.00 €54.00
31/7/2012 LA9242M; LC78601RE; LA6541 x 3 €7.70 €23.10

Hi Tibi,

Could you invoice me please for 3 sets of original transistors and 3 LCD displays also - sorry for any misunderstanding .:)

Danny

Here's a copy of the paypal invoice.
Date Description Quantity Unit price Amount
31/7/2012 Shigaclone PCB set - This include PCB; CD mechanic SFP101N-16P; chipset LA9242M, LC78601RE, LA6541, transistor set 2SA608NF, 2SB764E, 2SA1342; custom multiplexed LCD. x 3 €18.00 €54.00
31/7/2012 LA9242M; LC78601RE; LA6541 x 3 €7.70 €23.10

You are right. Item description created confusion.
I have sent a new invoice to you and the old one was cancelled.

Regards,
Tibi