Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I now use no aluminum puck, ordered also a laptop-type clamp on ebay where you can click the cd out like in a laptop cd rom.
If I have the new Shiga I do a good compare easier interchangeable.
The sound of the aluminum puck is better than the magnetic puck.
I would say, do not continue with the magnetic puck search than an alternative.

Regards,
Rudy
Edit: here you see the shiga working with a Laptop-type clamp sorry the sound is to loud:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0pkmtH0058&feature=plcp

Video may contain content that is in possession of or administered by these entities:

• Entity: WMG and UMG content type: audio recording. :confused:

Therefore, your video is blocked in the following locations:

American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, United States, United States Minor Outlying Islands, United States Virgin Islands.

Last edited:
The puck will be a real issue for many. People have been looking at it from the very start of the shiga story with limited success. The problem always is around the new platform running true when mounted. I worked around this by using a brass insert in the standard platform and using an ebony screw down puck.

It seems that the easiest thing is to scavenge scavenge a puck from a lid of another boom box. It should be possible to machine a new puck with some magnets too, but accuracy would be key. Having said that, all manufacturers using top loading mechs make them.

The other thing is that I bought a couple of the 3 ball type mechs for my shiga, but I had big problems with skipping and not playing. The alignment or something must have been off. I just mention that here as something to be aware of.

CD Clamp

The easy solution if you want to build your own CD Puck is a ceramic ring magnet that is not overly strong.
cPath_2_28 | products_id_258 | Ceramic Ring Magnets 28mm OD x 14mm ID x 4mm - Applied Magnets & WindMax Wind Turbines

The ID is 14mm and OD is 28mm. On the standard SF-P101N 16 pin 16p CD Mechanism, with a CD in place, I then applied an interface layer to the bottom of the magnet so it was contacting the top of the CD, but allowing the 14mm ID surface of the magnet to center on the CD Turntable tapered surface. The result is perfect alignment of the CD Puck. At that point, you can attach a turned piece of wood or plastic if you so desire, to make a handle, etc.

Not unlike LP, in measuring run-out of the CD Clamp noted, I measured FAR MORE run-out associated with the typical CD centering hole variations from manufacturing tolerances, than in the CD Puck. There is nothing that can be done about CD centering hole variations and all CD tracking servos are designed to handle that issue quite nicely.

Last edited:
On the standard SF-P101N 16 pin 16p CD Mechanism, with a CD in place, I then applied an interface layer to the bottom of the magnet so it was contacting the top of the CD, but allowing the 14mm ID surface of the magnet to center on the CD Turntable tapered surface. The result is perfect alignment of the CD Puck.

Sean, this sounds like a great idea. I'm trying to picture what you said about an interface layer, but my imagination is not that good. :) Can you provide a bit more info about this part - or a drawing or pic?

CD Clamp

Sean, this sounds like a great idea. I'm trying to picture what you said about an interface layer, but my imagination is not that good. :) Can you provide a bit more info about this part - or a drawing or pic?

tonyptony,

I measured the gap between the CD and the magnet resting on the CD Turntable molded taper and then hunted around for a soft material in my stash of stuff that was close to the thickness needed.

There will be some minor variation in the ID of the magnets I needed...I ordered three(3)...though we are talking about .0005 variation, which is nothing to worry about. The bigger variation is the thickness of CD's, but that is +/- .003" or less in the in the sampling I did.

So what I am saying is that with the variables involved here, you will need to experiment with the thickness of the interface material if you use the magnets noted. I happen to have some painters masking tape on hand that was perfect in thickness with one layer and allows the magnet, with the tape in place, to contact all the CD's I tried and provide a slip free grip between the magnet CD Clamp, the CD's I tried, and the Sanyo CD Turntable. Even with the thinnest CD on hand, there was only .002" run-out of the magnet and at the rpm speeds of the CD drive motor, the very slight imbalance is a none issue as the mass variation is at the center of rotation. There is more vibration due to dynamic imbalance in CD's caused be the variation in the centering holes.

There are other type tapes that would work. The beauty is the stuff is cheap and if it needs replacement or more thickness, it is easy to replace, add more, or change thickness as needed.

So what I am saying is that with the variables involved here, you will need to experiment with the thickness of the interface material if you use the magnets noted. I happen to have some painters masking tape on hand that was perfect in thickness with one layer and allows the magnet, with the tape in place, to contact all the CD's I tried and provide a slip free grip between the magnet CD Clamp

Thanks Sean.