Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

We have received price offer from LCD manufacturer.
We manged to get a smaller quantity but at a higher price. Expected final price will be 6 euro/custom LCD.
We will receive first LCD samples in 1-2 weeks from now and final batch in 2 months.

You have now column H for LCD on https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsGrT4hW37cvdHQ2dXllWGJtYi1NU0lfNGhZSlNWR2c#gid=0
I suggest all of you to subscribe for this component as this type of LCD is impossible to find elsewhere.

Also the BOM was updated with distributor codes and links, so you may start to collect necessary parts till LCD´s are ready.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuQF0EAtUutedEhBYW9hSklhOEVmSERodi1xSldyUUE

We are going to start collecting money after prototype testing.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Fran, BTW, uncle_leon,
I would appreciate you guide me towards posts or thread, to read more about what you three have done with the attenuators.

I think here is more or less the start of the story:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/120229-finally-affordable-cd-transport-shigaclone-story-87.html#post2486549

Or you can search the thread for "attenuator" ;)

Hi uncle-leon,
I don't get it, isn't the attenuators are also resistors network?

Well, technically, they are. So theoretically, there should be no advantage from using them. But ever since I started experimenting with my hand-made parts, I have been repeatedly shown that theory is one thing and practise another.
My explanation of this particular case is that while the attenuator is not much better than resistors (if at all) on electrical level, I have a feeling it has a better "vibrational" characteristic (i.e. the sort of "vibration" that 47 Labs base their design on).

Uncle_leon - I haven't my comparison at all yet, hoping to get to it this weekend.....

There has been much discussion of why the attenuators do what they do. But the sense of it as I picked it up:

They are precision 75R devices, so you get less reflections down your cable from impedance mismatches (I know, why does it work then with a BNC to RCA adapter).

As the height of the SPDIF signal drops, the rise time is shorter, making for a more precise square wave.

Result of both things is lower jitter I understand.

I'll try to root out the link etc but I remember scope shots etc to show all this.

Last edited:
Tibi,

Thanks for all your effort, and the effort of those assisting you.

I personally do not see 6Euro as expensive since the cheapest price I've seen on ebay for a 2X40 LCD display with shipping is about 5.8 Euro. In the grand scheme of things I believe this is quite reasonable and I applaud you for your accomplishment.

Many of you are looking for the best components available for this project. We have conformed and updated the BOM with best components currently available on market - see column L. The quality is, of course, reflected in price. :)
Ceramic capacitors are NP0, with very small piezoelectric effect. Electrolytic capacitors have been selected from polymer family. Resistors are melf with very low tolerance 0,1%. The rest of components are also selected from the best we are aware off.

Best Regards,
Tibi

We have great progress on this project.
The first shigaclone is running. :)
There are few modifications and tests to be run, in the next days, for fine tuning.
The components values are critical and we fond several discrepancies between original shiga and published JVC schematic.

A small movie First vicol-audio shigaclone tests - YouTube

We are still waiting for first LCD samples, therefore original display was used.
More episodes in the comming days. ;)

Best Regards,
Tibi

NIce work, cant wait to get my board :)

We are still waiting for LCD samples. The datasheet was signed by us last month. These should arrive in max. 2 weeks from now.
If LCD samples are OK, we are going to give green light for LCD batch production. This will take another 3-4 weeks.

Starting with 1st August our webshop will be open.
You´ll have the option to chose between full mounted and tested shiga or kit with hard to find parts.
Everyone will be served, but diyaudio members who are are registered in GB list will have priority.

Regards,
Tibi

Great news Tibi. Will your parts tweaking also consider whether some changes improve the overall sound, or is the tweaking limited to getting it to work properly?

Regarding parts Peter did already a great job.
We have added more space on the board for that parts and now is more easy to tune it.
However, compared with original shiga, we have 6 extra low noise regulators who push shiga performance even further.
For your convenience a list with best parts is already in BOM.

¨fine tuning¨ means that we are changing few components values to match original board, correct schematic and adjust PCB board for best routings.

Best Regards,
Tibi

attenuators

I have tried your attenuator too now. I have not finished my tests yet, but I am already convinced that it is better than all the commercial resistor combinations I have tried thus far. The degree of the difference surprised me too - ordinarily, one would have to strain and focus to be able to tell, say an Audio Note's Tantalum from a Kiwame: both rather grainy, and only separated by Kiwame's slight warmth. In the case of the attenuator, the difference is plainly obvious - an across-the-board improvement. Especially, the wide soundstage, great dynamics and instrument separation is very noticeable.

However, the most important comparison (to me at least) I put off till the end - will my own hand-made resistors emerge victorious again? ;) I have my initial impressions already, and I feel I know the answer, but I need to do further listening to make sure I'm not being biased.

At any rate - great find Fran, this attenuator is indeed excellent! :)

Uncle leo, when you say you've used single resistors, what exactly do you mean? The attenuators indicated by Fran use a Pi scheme (http://217.34.103.131/pdfs/HAT-6-75.pdf). Have use used the resistors as such? You can calculate them here: Pi Attenuator Calculator

Otherwise, how were you using the resistors?

General computer audio comparison question

Hi all,
I suppose some here have compared their shiga clone to one or more computer based transports. I know that these things can vary a lot, for each one has his own mods and way of mounting the shiga clone; and a computer audio server can be many things. I believe this is an interesting comparison, because there are too many people, especially in computeraudio forums, affirming uncritically that CD players and transports are dead. My experience is that an optimized macmini using audinivana sounds better (provided that the cd was properly ripped, which is far from obvious) than many CD players deemed to be excellent. That said, it does not sound better than a reasonably well implemented shiga clone. So CD transports are not dead, but computer audio is taking the whole thing to a higher level. My experience has been with a macmini, which though heavily tweaked and optimized, I know is not ideal. Apparently things can get much better with a proper dedicated PC and a good USB/SPDIF converter (which can be very/too expensive). At any rate, I wonder if there is any interest on this issue in this thread. I really wish CD transports/players can keep up with what's going on "on the other side", at least from a purely sonic perspective. My impression is that it is possible (without spending $40k for the stupid no-matter-how-good-it-sounds spectral player...), but some constructive comparisons and experience exchange would be necessary lest projects like this (ie the shigaraki cloning) become another idiosyncratic hobby of a few fanatics. This thread is so long and rich of information, and there has been so much effort from many individuals with this project that it would be a pity not to bring everything to the larger context of what today people understand as digital audio.

A question about the Shiga player.
Does anyone know how to fine tune or adjust the sample-rate of the player? The dac I'm using has a VCXO and it is not locking with the shiga, which means that the player's SR must be slightly off. I need to adjust it to be -+150ppm. Anybody knows how to do it?

Mods, perhaps a new thread?

Why not search for general DIY transport projects ... and if not found then create one, where your question can be answered without ending up way off topic?Better yet, I'll create one.

I have some interest in this. In fact I have an old Panasonic CDRW with Firewire out marketed by Que!Fire in it's own enclosure that I think could make an excellent transport. I also know that there are a few folks that have used complete soundcards in a separate powered enclosure. It makes sense that these could be combined into a complete single chassis "cd player". I suppose there must be a few folks interested in this.

Hi Nanook,
I'm not sure I understand your reply. You mean create a new thread for my question about sample-rate issues?
The problem I'm having is specific to the shigaclone, so I don't get your suggestion.

If on the other hand you're referring to my post about comparing computer transports to the shiga, I'd be also confused...