Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

We are on the display part.
So far I was unable to get any info about this display, so we need to take the hard path and decode what is behind.
Looks like Sanyo chip is using a multiplexed matrix LCD display.
Something like in this picture.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

However, there are 3 more signs - for play, memory and repeate.
Have anyone figured out how LCD segments are connected to LC78601 ?

Regards,
Tibi

On LC78601 datasheet I see COM1,2,3 (common rows) and S1,2,3,4,5,6 (common segments). I see also a VLCD input - that is the bias Voltage to drive the LCD (1/2 Vdd) - LCD require an alternating/square signal to avoid electrolysis of LCD.
Their 2 digit LCD has 9 pins: 1,2,3,4,5,6 connected to S1,2,3,4,5,6 and pins 7,8,9 connected to COM1,2,3.
From your pic I assume the Seg #6 is for the symbols.

Last edited:
SoNic_real_one,

Thanks for yor answer, but doesn´t help me too much ...
OK, let´s reformulate:
Does anyone figured how play, memory and repeat are connected to LC78601 ?

On other hand, we need a source for 2 or 3 digit multiplexed matrix LCD display.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
SoNic_real_one,

Thanks for yor response, but doesn´t help me too much ...
OK, let´s reformulate:
Does anyone figured how play, memory and repeat are connected to LC78601 ?

On other hand, we need a source for 2 or 3 digit multiplexed matrix LCD display.

Regards,
Tibi

...Or get somebody like Veteran to program a new display, like those gorgeous Mark Levinson Preamps have.

I have a DCB1 with one of his displays...I'm sure it would be easy for him to adapt it for this purpose.

...Just a thought.:cool:

Attachments

• Display small.JPG
    Display small.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
...Or get somebody like Veteran to program a new display, like those gorgeous Mark Levinson Preamps have.

I have a DCB1 with one of his displays...I'm sure it would be easy for him to adapt it for this purpose.

...Just a thought.:cool:

CeeVee,

There is nothing to program on this chip. We need to take it as it is, but we need to deeply understand how is working as documentation is very poor in this matter.

Regards,
Tibi

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I know that chip does not need programming, i was thinking that if we change the display an AVR controlled one like i mentioned might translate the signals from present chip to new one.

...just thinking out loud :)

I have been scouring the net for that display as well, no luck yet.

I know that chip does not need programming, i was thinking that if we change the display an AVR controlled one like i mentioned might translate the signals from present chip to new one.

...just thinking out loud :)

I have been scouring the net for that display as well, no luck yet.

LC78601 will directly drive LCD matrix. There is no I2C bus or other way to control or to communicate with another microcontroller.

LC78622 is much closer to what you would like to have ...

Regards,
Tibi

Transistors and low noise 2,5V reference regulator arrived today.

Prices are as follow:
2SA608NF - $0.88 or 0.66euro
2SB764E - $0.84 or 0.64euro
2SA1342 - $0.66 or 0.45euro
ADP151AUJZ-2.5-R7 - $1.00 or 0.76euro

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• 2012-03-23-080.jpg
    2012-03-23-080.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 467
Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I encourage others to look at this thread

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/site...n-stock-chassis-requesting-your-feedback.html

I already put in a suggestion for a 1/2 rack wide version, which I think would be ideal for this project. Just need a recommendation on the height. I know those in EU and especially the East have somewhat better access to DIY enclosures. In the U.S., by the time shipping and whatnot is added to those nice enclosures available from China or Taiwan the price can get a bit high.

I know there are some U.S. based DIY enclosure providers, but I haven't found anything yet as such that I think would work nicely.

BTW, I encourage others to look at this thread

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/site...n-stock-chassis-requesting-your-feedback.html

I already put in a suggestion for a 1/2 rack wide version, which I think would be ideal for this project. Just need a recommendation on the height. I know those in EU and especially the East have somewhat better access to DIY enclosures. In the U.S., by the time shipping and whatnot is added to those nice enclosures available from China or Taiwan the price can get a bit high.

I know there are some U.S. based DIY enclosure providers, but I haven't found anything yet as such that I think would work nicely.

Those prices are still expensive. I can build an enclosure equivalent to the 5u enclosure out of 1/8" and 1/4" thick aluminum plate for $100. I know a guy that will machine cut or waterjet any shape you need. I also have a guy that will cnc beautiful wood face panels with painted lettering and engraved logos. They are U.S. based so shipping is inexpensive. Anyone interested can contact me for their info.

Should we start a Shigaclone "enclosure" discussion?

Wow, that sounds great. I wonder, if enough U.S. based people were interested, whether it would make sense to work out what a decent enclosure size and construction would be. Would your friend be able to machine cut and water jet the parts so we could then put it together ourseleves?

Wow, that sounds great. I wonder, if enough U.S. based people were interested, whether it would make sense to work out what a decent enclosure size and construction would be. Would your friend be able to machine cut and water jet the parts so we could then put it together ourseleves?

The guy I know does not offer built enclosures, he only supplies aluminum cut to your specs. You must give him measurements or a template. You can even include the specific location of holes for screws and iec sockets.

Oh, yes, Hi-Fi 2000 stuff ;) Made in Bologna :D

They already have a quasi 1/2 rack size, actually 230mm wide (210mm inside).
It's called Galaxy (height 40 mm) or Galaxy Maggiorato (height 80mm)

Check the website: modushop.biz

Much as I think a beautiful Italian enclsoure would be nice (yes, my last name has a vowel at the end too!), if we in the USA can work something for less money I think that might be more attractive.

The guy I know does not offer built enclosures, he only supplies aluminum cut to your specs. You must give him measurements or a template. You can even include the specific location of holes for screws and iec sockets.

Right, I guess that's what I was thinking. We spec out the enclosure, including holes for assembly and through components. Parts get produced; we put them together.

Much as I think a beautiful Italian enclsoure would be nice (yes, my last name has a vowel at the end too!), if we in the USA can work something for less money I think that might be more attractive.

Right, I guess that's what I was thinking. We spec out the enclosure, including holes for assembly and through components. Parts get produced; we put them together.

How about an eclosure that has an aluminum top plate mahogany sides and a copper base. I dont think it can be 1/2 rack there wont be enough room for the transformers and shunt regulators. Since its top loading, we should just design a custom size. Or we can even make a seperate housing for the power supplies. This way you wont need to take the whole cd player apart if you want to make changes to the regulators.

How about an eclosure that has an aluminum top plate mahogany sides and a copper base. I dont think it can be 1/2 rack there wont be enough room for the transformers and shunt regulators. Since its top loading, we should just design a custom size. Or we can even make a seperate housing for the power supplies. This way you wont need to take the whole cd player apart if you want to make changes to the regulators.

I like it. I think I'd also agree with maybe keeping the supplies in a separate case.