Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Should the big 3W resistor be 3 or 15 ohm?
According to the sim 15 ohm leads to 0.017A CCS. Am I right?

It should be 3R.

I've started gathering components for my Shigaclones, and have a nice section of copper plate for the base/bases.

the plate measures 10.5" (26.7cm) X 4" (10.16cm) X 1/4" (3.56cm).

Is this large enough for two units or should I just use it for one? It seems quite massive compared to the transport mechanism.

The point of copper is to control vibrations, so the size you are describing is definitely not too large.

By the way, the Shiga doesn't have to be mounted in metal. Wood is a very good choice too.

Last edited:
I've started gathering components for my Shigaclones, and have a nice section of copper plate for the base/bases.

the plate measures 10.5" (26.7cm) X 4" (10.16cm) X 1/4" (3.56cm).

Is this large enough for two units or should I just use it for one? It seems quite massive compared to the transport mechanism.

I'm pleased you brought this up.
I'll be starting from scratch on this and wonder if there is a BOM in existence.
I can pick my way through the whole post and make notes of course but I'm sure to miss something.
If anyone with experience of Shiga building has a rough list that would be helpful and I'd be very grateful.

I'm pleased you brought this up.
I'll be starting from scratch on this and wonder if there is a BOM in existence.
I can pick my way through the whole post and make notes of course but I'm sure to miss something.
If anyone with experience of Shiga building has a rough list that would be helpful and I'd be very grateful.

Hi Andrew.

You will find the most of the new stuff reading 10 pages backwards... Give or take a few...

Search for user tvicol.

Brgds

It should be 3R.

The point of copper is to control vibrations, so the size you are describing is definitely not too large.

By the way, the Shiga doesn't have to be mounted in metal. Wood is a very good choice too.

I was thinking of finding a very nice looking metal or synthetic (plastic etc) box and then dropping a copper plate of the correct size into the bottom. Maybe sandwich a rubber or silicone pad between the copper and the bottom of the box, then screw them together.

Hmm, or would it be better to hard mount the plate to the bottom and use screw in spikes to dissipate any vibrations?

I was thinking of finding a very nice looking metal or synthetic (plastic etc) box and then dropping a copper plate of the correct size into the bottom. Maybe sandwich a rubber or silicone pad between the copper and the bottom of the box, then screw them together.

Hmm, or would it be better to hard mount the plate to the bottom and use screw in spikes to dissipate any vibrations?

I am going to use a Phenolic resin impregnated paper which is hard as nails, completely stable and comes in different thicknesses, in Australia it's called paperock but i am certain it's in other parts of the world under a different name.
The good thing is you can use wood working tools and it is heavy.

Paperock | A Strong, Sustainable & Smart Building Material
Skip

The main point is to mount the mech rigidly to something that is heavy and rigid itself. But, for numerous reasons, I would suggest to stay away from plastics - unless forced by budget or other constraints.

You mean you had all those bits lying around in your box ?
Blimey !

Yep have all the parts except the zvn3310 Found a VN10KM so I ran it in the sim and noise dropped to 3 nano Volts.
Need to get this thing built and see how it performs in the real world.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 419
The main point is to mount the mech rigidly to something that is heavy and rigid itself. But, for numerous reasons, I would suggest to stay away from plastics - unless forced by budget or other constraints.

I have taken Granite and glued the Ebony cubes in the corners, and thereupon CD Transport.

Regards,
Rudy

Attachments

• P1010294.jpg
    P1010294.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 383

I am thinking of something similar. I am thinking of using a wooden box with metal plates for switches, connectors etc. The copper base for transport would be suspended inside the box, possibly by springs.

I was hoping half the plate would be sufficient for one transport. There is a math error in my post about the size of the plate, 1/4" is 0.63cm, so the mass of half of the section of the copper plate is 767gr or 1.69#. I would hope that to be sufficient to dampen the mechanism.

Last edited:

I was going along the lines of what TheGimp said above - mount the mechanism on the copper plate and then use a nice box as a "shell" to support the periphery gear (display etc). I like TG's idea of actually suspending the plate somehow inside the box. If it's done this way will it matter if the box is of some plastic construction?