Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Here is corrected schematic and PCB image, a SMD version would probably fit easily on the space where the motors were mounted on mech board ;)

The blue resistors are dale !

Attachments

• 5V Bobken Shunt Regulator corrected.jpg
    5V Bobken Shunt Regulator corrected.jpg
    730.7 KB · Views: 520
  • BOBKEN.jpg
    BOBKEN.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 484
Joined 2006
Paid Member
...no, i just etched 2 for testing and only one survived :D
it's pretty easy to replicate and i can tell you that all i see in my cope with this thing loaded is a straight line...very, very quiet.:D

This is the BSS129 version of the board:

Attachments

• BOBKENBSS129.jpg
    BOBKENBSS129.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
We will see, i would suggest to wait for the draft design of Shiga PCB and i could redesign PCB to fit neatly on it with 3 pin terminal.

BUT and here is a big but we should first ask Peter Daniel if we can do this since he was the one who published the design !!!

The design is actually Bobken's, and he is happy for everyone to use it.

Please keep in mind that his reg is so good partly because all its components have been carefully selected "by ear". In other words, I suggest that you stick to Peter's recommended components unless you have a good reason to deviate from his choices (like the expense of buying a 10uF BG N).

The design is actually Bobken's, and he is happy for everyone to use it.

Please keep in mind that his reg is so good partly because all its components have been carefully selected "by ear". In other words, I suggest that you stick to Peter's recommended components unless you have a good reason to deviate from his choices (like the expense of buying a 10uF BG N).

Current "youpay" 1- pair 2200 =GBP 100
1- pair 10 =GBP 40
I think not for me, will look for a different solution.

Black Gate FK are not a part of the regulator itself, they are just in the Peter's recommended PSU configuration.

If you can't afford Black Gates, consider using a 2200uf Elna Starget and a 1000uf Sanyo Os-Con instead - they sounded best in my extensive capacitor tests. I would also pick Os-Con for the 10uf position as it sounds slightly more accurate than Starget, but some people prefer the warmer Starget signature. Stargets also benefit more from wood-modding (if you take such things into consideration).

I've started gathering components for my Shigaclones, and have a nice section of copper plate for the base/bases.

the plate measures 10.5" (26.7cm) X 4" (10.16cm) X 1/4" (3.56cm).

Is this large enough for two units or should I just use it for one? It seems quite massive compared to the transport mechanism.