Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

CI set is limited to 100.

Now some prices:

LA9242 - 4 euro
LC78601 - 2.1 euro
LA6541 - 1.6 euro

I'm going to order 50 CD-mechanic SFP101N-16P-DA11V.
Also I'm looking for transistors and some other components (display, connectors etc).
If I source them, then you'll see them on the list and of course I'll announce here.

Regards,
Tibi

A friend of mine has quite successfully produced a number of SMD boards using this method:
Hotplate Surface Mount SMD Soldering Tutorial
It seems like this method needs very little practise to get right. Soldering SMD manually on the other hand looks easy on the video, but believe me, I have tried it, and it really is a pain (unless you are very skilled and have very good tools).

CI set is limited to 100.

Now some prices:

LA9242 - 4 euro
LC78601 - 2.1 euro
LA6541 - 1.6 euro

I'm going to order 50 CD-mechanic SFP101N-16P-DA11V.
Also I'm looking for transistors and some other components (display, connectors etc).
If I source them, then you'll see them on the list and of course I'll announce here.

Regards,
Tibi

Thanks Tibi for all you are doing on this project.

I'll opt out for a second board since it looks like there are more requests than you have components.

Okay Tibi, well we know where we stand and thank you to find the components for us.

Interesting link for people with little experience soldering (SMD)
Surface Mount Soldering 101 Video

How to Solder Correctly-and Why: How to Solder : CuriousInventor Guides

Regards,
Rudy

Excellent material !
Right tools when soldering SMD is crucial.
Also, a good flux can make the difference between succes and fail.

For tools:
- Solder Tools -- Soldering Equipment, Melting Pots and Butane Heat Guns
- Solder Stations, Desoldering Tools, Soldering Irons

A good information resource is also
EEVblog #180 – Soldering Tutorial Part 1 – Tools | EEVblog - The Electronics Engineering Video Blog

IMHO Mundorf is the best, but I didn't find under 1mm diameter. This will work for resistors and capacitors, but for IC's you need a solder with maximum 0,5mm diameter.
Audio Grade silver solder homepage
Mundorf Solder

Also you should know that we are redesigning the Shiga board using 1206 instead 0805. This will make your soldering less pain and much fun. :)

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
EZ51 will leave me!

I have got probably one of the lasts EZ51 in Europe in my hands - new&unopened. ...Still considering if I should engage the screwdriver and solder or put it on the Bay...;)

Unfortunately, due to changed personal situation I have to give up - I will not have spare time for the project. The life is permanent decision making, sometimes you have to change priorities. My heart is bleeding but the box is displayed on German eB...:crying:

I understand that Rudy. However he posted that he had already purchased the ICs and therefore the number of sets that would be available is fixed.

It appears to me that the first (and possibly only) build is spoken for and since I only committed for one set, it would not be fair for me to change my qty now.

I'm looking at trying to source the components myself (risky) and order extra boards if there is no chance of another build.

If the number of requests will grow this will reduce PCB price and other components as well.
IC's are still available in large stocks and ordering will take only one week.
I want to have board tested and working with all modifications in place before the start of group buy.
I'll do my best to honor all requests, so this should be your last concern.

Regards,
Tibi

I guess this is the winner.
51.jpg

Can anybody with a micrometer to confirm that the real dimensions are similar as presented in this datasheet.
Thx. J

Is that item 9 on page 19 of the transport manual?

Yes, that is the component we are talking about.
That component need to be moved to the new PCB and must be placed with precision in the same place as old shigaclone board.
We need a datasheet with exact dimensions in order to make component library, or someone to confirm that the datasheet posted by jazz35 is the same.

Regards,
Tibi