Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Can someone tell me what the proper voltage on the digital output should be. What checks or precaution can one take before connecting the digital output to a dac and some how harm the dac.

Un-modded Shiga (ie with no output resistors) will be putting out around 2V. Output voltage should ideally be 0.5V, although I've never heard of anyone damaging their DAC this way. At the worst, the DAC will fail to lock onto the signal - but even that is a fairly rare occurrence.

Your DAC likely has some basic safety measures in place built in (input caps or transformers), so you don't need to worry too much. Just make sure your Shiga generally works - if there is proper signal on the analogue output, then the digital pretty much has to be ok too.

I've put together all pieces and I have the player running, digital out is arount .5 v
Dac locks onto signal and plays, only I get a drop out every 15 to 20 seconds. Power supply seems ok with constant 8v. The drop out is for just a split second.
Any suggestions as to what to check for, I have not removed any parts from digital boards yet.

It is precisely the same PCB and mechanism as in JVC RC-EZ51. Only the plastic sled cover colour is different. Great find Rikkert, we could be onto a sort of "Shigaclone Reneissance" ;)

The closest thing I found in UK is this. I am going on holiday in a few days, but I will order one when I get back, and check it out.

Of course, what really matters is that the mechanism is apparently still in use in the lower-end Sanyo units - which means it will continue to be available for at least some time.

On a separate note, I wonder if it is possible to order the CD mech/PCB directly from Sanyo/JVC themselves. Tell them we need spares for warranty repairs or whatever. Has anyone tried that?

Sanyo UK "Spares" section redirects to CHS Interactive. They have all sorts of cd mechanisms, but no servo/processor boards that I could find :/

Anyone knows the part number for the JVC/Sanyo CD control board? It doesn't seem to be in the service manual. Maybe the boomboxes are so cheap that it never occurred to the folks at Sanyo that someone might want spares for it...

It loks like EZ33b and EZ31 are mentioned there, plus the sanyo model thats pictured but no model number?

Anyone here speak the languages there?

Google speaks every language. Just copy and past the url address straight into a google search. It will find the page and give you an option to translate it into your preferred language.

I did that to that HK forum above with some funny results but no model numbers.

Digging a little more around the net I found this archive of Sanyo products.
SANYO Sales & Marketing Europe GmbH: Product archive - Consumer Electronic - Audio - TV

Here are some model numbers from the above site which cover their Bassexpander range. I have no idea if any of these are compatible but it's a start.

MCD-S925F
MCD-ZX 600F
MCD-ZX 100F
MCD-ZX 200F
MCD-ZX 250F
MCD-ZX 270M
MCD-ZX 300F
MCD-ZX 310F
MCD-ZX 390F
MCD-ZX 500F
MCD-ZX 530F
MCD-ZX 550F
MCD-ZX 570M
MCD-ZX 700F
MCD-ZX 710F

I've searched and searched on google for an image to match the one on that hong kong thread to no avail. Google translate doesn't translate the page properly.

Would anyone here be able to join that forum, and send a PM to the guy that posted the pictures? His handle there is "mdlover".

As far as I can tell, its none of the ones in the list posted above.....

Fran

Having those capacitor types, I would probably place my bets on the BG STD 1000/50 -reg- BG STD 1000/50 combination in the PSU. Two STDs will over-etch trebles and mid-bass somewhat, but will give much more accurate sound overall, than any of the non-BG caps. You might try bypassing the first STD with a small BG N, which should smooth out the sound.

Another, possibly better, route is using the BG STD 1000/50 before the regulator and the BG-N-470/16 after - although I haven't actually tested that particular combination. It will definitely work, but the resulting total capacitance will be on the low side, which may have impact on the bass performance. I can test that for you, if you like.

In C916, the obvious choice is BG-NX 47/6,3 - it is in fact the very best capacitor to use here (with the possible exception of exotics like Duelund CAST).

What other parts you are planning to use (trafo, diodes, output resistors)? Is it going to be a stand-alone player, or paired with an external DAC?
Dear _leon merry Xmas.

The 5v regulator layout for the shigaclone, is it possible you have it.
What voltage trafo do I need? 12-0-12? 16-0-16?
I can see peter did the one for his Nos Dac, and same was used on shigaclone.
I'm in need of partlist and layout. I want to ad the 5v to the shiga. Also need some clue how to add it:) (somewhere I noticed it explained)
happy newyear.