Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

You are right on for the 5V, Thanks! I have the Salas SSR1.1 reg and a super reg Positive half (see attachment below), which one you think will be more suitable to supply the IC902?

I would definitely use Salas SSR1.1, as it's a non global feedback super-shunt regulator, ideal for your application. You will have to set it for 5VDC output voltage and M-fet CCS in front voltage reference element + shunt element (be it BJT or M-fet variant) for 35mA/IC902 + 35mA shunt element + some for the rest of circuit (of hand I will guess ~15mA, but you will have to read the manual) = 85mA total

I switched out my 1a 9v transformer to a 2a 12v and now Im getting 2.34v at NE5534 output.

Something is fishy in your setup...both transformer are adequate for your circuit...9VAC*1.41 - cca.1V voltage drop over diode bridge gives you ~11V7 before voltage regulator which needs >=2V5 for proper operation and you have 6V7 which is more than enough...the rest of voltage (6V7-2V5=4V2) x current consumtion will be wast as heat over voltage regulator.

Vincent,
A mistake occured somewhere in your intial implementation. The initial transformer was fine for the VREF you were trying to obtain.
9v*1.414 minus the voltage drops on the rectifiying diodes should have provided more than enough voltage to feed the 2.5V reg.

Something is fishy in your setup...both transformer are adequate for your circuit...9VAC*1.41 - cca.1V voltage drop over diode bridge gives you ~11V7 before voltage regulator which needs >=2V5 for proper operation and you have 6V7 which is more than enough...the rest of voltage (6V7-2V5=4V2) x current consumtion will be wast as heat over voltage regulator.

I think so too, the 9V transformer I used a bridged rectifier but for the 12v I used two 1N4004 diodes. Not sure what I did wrong because I build power supplies with bridge rectifiers all the time.

Hi all !
I m very excited with this project but
I cannot find a " donor" to start...
I ve just seen that amazon.uk has
RC-EZ51 in stock but, unfortunately,
they do not ship to FRANCE :-((
Can someone from UK be kind, order it
and send it to me adding shipping costs
of course. In can pay him very fast with
Paypal.
Thanks a lot !!

Back onboard

After many years away from the DIY HIFI scene I recently came across this site. Starting with the Playstation PS1 threads. All fired up I found an early PS1, bought that for a song then discovered the Shigaclone thread started by Peter Daniels and proceeded to order an EC51H from Amazon for £40, (as new, used). Well why hang around? So currently I have two potential CD players sitting on my floor. Initial listening tests through a very lo FI set up gave me a preference for the JVC before any mods and I liked the fact that there is no "Sony" tunes on start up... Shigaclone it is then.:)

After many years away from the DIY HIFI scene I recently came across this site. Starting with the Playstation PS1 threads. All fired up I found an early PS1, bought that for a song then discovered the Shigaclone thread started by Peter Daniels and proceeded to order an EC51H from Amazon for £40, (as new, used). Well why hang around? So currently I have two potential CD players sitting on my floor. Initial listening tests through a very lo FI set up gave me a preference for the JVC before any mods and I liked the fact that there is no "Sony" tunes on start up... Shigaclone it is then.:)

How did you connect the PS1? A/V or RCA?

Brgds

Hi all !
I m very excited with this project but
I cannot find a " donor" to start...
I ve just seen that amazon.uk has
RC-EZ51 in stock but, unfortunately,
they do not ship to FRANCE :-((
Can someone from UK be kind, order it
and send it to me adding shipping costs
of course. In can pay him very fast with
Paypal.
Thanks a lot !!
Nomdl, Are you still looking to buy the Amazon RC-EZ51? I too have just started this project and received my JVC player this morning. All is the same as the original player except the LCD panel is shorter, (This is actually good I think).
I would be willing to buy the player for you. but getting it to you could be a problem. There are no carriers in my area and I only have a bicycle for transport. Would it be possible for you to arrange a carrier, (Like Hermes who do collection? This would be my first preference). You may find that delivery is more expensive than the unit, unless you want me to take the parts from the case. You may prefer to do this yourself but I would be willing to do this. The risk would have to be yours.

How did you connect the PS1? A/V or RCA?

Brgds
Currently I am outputting through the RCA sockets on the PS1. It's not the best option I know but it gives a definite improvement on the portable Philips CD player it's replacing. I have a long way to go before I start getting quality sound out of any thing. For the Shiga I have DIY Electrostatic phones planned but I will be needing an amp before I get to listen to anything descent. Onward ever onward...

Takili.

You should try the PS1 thru the A/V connector. That way it's a completely different animal. I use both the shiga and PS1. None of them are finished yet but I tweaked the PS1 the other night and took the output signal directly from the DAC to the RCA's. It is very, very good sounding but ugly as I don't know what. I will start to work on the shiga now to see if it will beat the PS1.

Brgds

No worries, glad you got sorted.
There has been comparisons, There was something back around page 80-90 I think but 7808 won! There may have been something more recent but so far I am only up to page 116. Try a thread search for "LM7808" or "LM7808CT"... I just started by ordering this very component today:)

What have I done?

:eek:
My nice new JVC EZ51H arrived this morning. It actually sounded pretty good as it came I thought:innocent: but hey, why am I here? Took me a while to find my tools and scrub the rust off the screwdrivers which have been dormant for much too long.
It took just over an hour to get this! aaah!

Attachments

• Leftovers-web.jpg
    Leftovers-web.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 715
  • Virtual reality-web.jpg
    Virtual reality-web.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 699
Takili.

You should try the PS1 thru the A/V connector. That way it's a completely different animal. I use both the shiga and PS1. None of them are finished yet but I tweaked the PS1 the other night and took the output signal directly from the DAC to the RCA's. It is very, very good sounding but ugly as I don't know what. I will start to work on the shiga now to see if it will beat the PS1.

Brgds
Thanks Turbon, that would be my plan also as from what I read it missed out the internal op amps or something like that giving a cleaner output signal. Currently the PS1 is just providing light relief whilst I get with it on the Shiga drive.
So much to do, so little time...

Yes, time is precious.

The only soundwise tweak so far on my shiga is the powersupply much what Peter Daniels proposed. I use different diodes and caps though.
Please upgrade us on what improvements you have planned.

For my part I will try to clean the signal path from the DAC as a second step.

Brgds

A bit like you I think, due to lack of high finance! (well any finance really).The Blackgate Caps are rare to non existent, due I think to the company no longer being in business? I am probably going to go for Nichocon FG or maybe the Elna Starget as an alternative to the caps. From what I read so far, (now up to page 195), the Peter Daniels mods are the core to a very good transport anyway and in terms of results for cash spent are probably some of the best in the DIY community for return on investment! I already have a solid base for mounting, in the form of a small granite surface plate. I will make a heavy wood base for the player chassis and have this positioned on the granite with three spikes, (the surface plate needs to remain usable, so no mods to this). I ordered an LM7808 yesterday. I am having a bit of trouble finding an MSR860 from a reliable source. One builder from England used an MUR860 but Peter replied to the effect that these are a different animal even though they do the same job. The recommended transformer was a Hammond but these are not available in 220v primary here in England, it looks like my best bet on price and availability could be a Toroid from RS Components although better would be what goes by the name of an E I Core but I can't find these. A better, separate regulator may come later for the 8V line. Another for the 5V is used by some with its own trans but I think I will stick to just the one unless I find some very positive comments. Peter also built a NOS DAC which works very well apparently as a replacement for the onboard. I will probably add this at a later date (if I can get my overdraft down enough:)
What I need then and hopefully by the time the deck is finished will be something decent on which to listen to the music!
Regarding signal paths, there is some very interesting stuff on the internet about connection cables and connectors. Did you find the details on change of Dout from 300R/100R to 390R/90R to match 75ohm cable and 6ft to reduce signal harmonics bouncing back along said cable? I had no idea that digital could be influenced so much. Apparently the bounce causes a displacement in the timing and offsets the base signal.
Regards
Trevor L

Regarding signal paths, there is some very interesting stuff on the internet about connection cables and connectors. Did you find the details on change of Dout from 300R/100R to 390R/90R to match 75ohm cable and 6ft to reduce signal harmonics bouncing back along said cable? I had no idea that digital could be influenced so much. Apparently the bounce causes a displacement in the timing and offsets the base signal.
Regards
Trevor L

Nah, thats in the future for my part. To keep things cheap I use an old Pioneer A303R amp with upgraded OPamps driving my old Linn Kans from the 80's. These are my reference driveline for the moment. I'm about to build two gainclones to see if they can beat my current setup. I also have a couple of Lencos waiting for some upgrading but I can't really decide what to do with them - they just sound good as they are...

Longer term includes portable headphoneamp and maybe a dac depending if I find a mp3 player capable of digital out and flac up to 24/96 at least.
But we are allowed to dream...

Brgds / Seppo

BTW how do you attach pictures?

Last edited: