Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Hi:

Not sure where you got that regulator schematic, but it shows DC in, not AC. I think the diodes you are blowing are not on the schematic, so it is hard to diagnose why they are blowing. Also, the schematic you posted has sense connections which you do not show on your earlier wiring diagram; do your Salas reg boards have sense connections?

Anyway, if you are blowing the rectifier diodes then you are puling too much current through them. This would imply that the regulator is shorted to ground. I don't know anything about the circuit you are connecting to, but you should double-check your connections. You should also fuse your transformer primary so you blow a cheap fuse instead of rectifiers or other components.

Hi nezbleu,

Thanks for your response.
Here you have the schematic how the 5 volt Salas reg is build.
It is weird that de Salas reg perfect works with a second transformer.

I have connect now all 3 Salas regs the plus output of the Salas reg to the receiver board, and not connect the zero to the receiver board.
If I measured between the zero of the Salas reg output and GND DAC I get these values:

Salas reg B -2.15 Volts
Salas reg A 5.30 volt
Salas reg C 5.30 volts

Reg B I get a minus sign on the meter, which is not good.
I take 1 measuring pen in the same place.

I only connect the receiver board, not the DAC towers and 12 volt DC

Regards,
Rudy

Attachments

• SalasQreg1.5Vto35V 027.jpg
    SalasQreg1.5Vto35V 027.jpg
    653.9 KB · Views: 933
Last edited:
Total newbie here so see if I can get some love determining if Ive toasted a shiga donor. I dissected the unit and layed it out on a board and removed all neccessary components. IE: tape deck and tuner. I had everything working with speaker and decided in my infinite wisdom that I would try a 7.5 volt dc power pack. Unit is run at 8 volts so I figured I was safe. I triple checked + and - and tested the power supply. It showed almost ten volts but again in my infinite wisdom figured it was showing high because it was not under load. I hooked this up and the unit spun up and showed zeros. I thought ok this is working. Then I closed the door switch and nothing happened. I checked continuity opening and closing the door switch and its ok. I traced the pcb back but it does not appear to lead to the chip but to the corner of the chip and then dissappears. I dont see anything on the other side close to where it dissappears. Anyone got any ideas of where my next step is? Im a big boy and if I toasted it Im ok with that but the diyer in me wants to find out where I might have derailed the train. I cant throw anything out if theres a remote chance I can fix it. Did I mention you guys are great. ( :

Shigaclone,,Dac Ash,, My Ref c amp

This trio produces outstanding results ,,,I have fitted to my shigaclone a Hagerman (Hag clock) that was intended for my old cd player ,power supply from Twisted pear .
The differance from stock everything has gone up a notch or more,the hag clock does use the citizen crystal thats the recommended upgrade

I have done most of the mods except the super regs are these worth it ?

cheers jon

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 979
Hi,
Anyone use the built-in DAC output from the LC78601RE and connect to a Lampizator (for Voltage output DAC's) ? Should there be any op-amp if the chip is Voutput? (I can't find any), any suggestion?

I had an old Tjoeb 99 with a 6DJ8 tube section that I want to take out and use it on the Shigaclone, any suggestion?

Thanks