Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

CD Platform with Puck

Hallo all,

Here you see the pictures as promise.
The CD Platform with Puck made from aluminum.
First I will test it on the motor, I hope I can do it this weekend.

Rudy

Attachments

• P1010114.jpg
    P1010114.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 844
  • P1010115.jpg
    P1010115.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 826
  • P1010116.jpg
    P1010116.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 767
Hallo all,

Here you see the pictures as promise.
The CD Platform with Puck made from aluminum.
First I will test it on the motor, I hope I can do it this weekend.

Rudy

Hi,
I am so jealous of your beautiful CD platform and puck, is it custom made ? I have had so much hard time trying to find a shop to do such a thing and fail. All the shop had been move out of HK into China. I will love to buy your spare set if yu have any. Hope this works out well on your motor.

Best regards

Here's a pic of my shigaclone (work in progress)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Rudy

I am waiting for your pictures of platform/puck in action.:cool:
I reckon you also do no longer post on the dutch htforum like I use to do..:(.

Erik

Hi Erik,

I've just created a few photos and it looks pretty good I say so myself.
It strikes me now that there are many CDs that are not purely flat.

Of topic:
Spent today with my DDDAC to build in 7 Sallas regulator, connected to 1 Transformer 2x12 volt 500VA.
The problem is when I connect 3 Sallas regulator to the DDDAC receiver board I blow up the diodes on the minus side from 1 Sallas regulator

2 Sallas regulator works good, after that I connect the third Sallas regulator to another 12 volt transformer and everything works fine.
And I must say the sound is realy good with only 3 Sallas regs on the receiver board.

What is the reason why the diodes blows up from the third one, who give’s the right answer to me?
Sallas told me there is no problem to connect 7 Sallas regulator to 1 Transformer :scratch1:

That I no longer write on the Dutch forum is because there are no Shigaclone builders anymore ;)

Rudy
Edit: more fotos

Attachments

• P1010126.JPG
    P1010126.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 690
  • P1010125.JPG
    P1010125.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 709
  • P1010119.JPG
    P1010119.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 735
  • P1010127.JPG
    P1010127.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 283
  • P1010129.jpg
    P1010129.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 353
  • P1010128.jpg
    P1010128.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Hi rudy,
I saw the drawing of the regulator, and there isn't an op-amp in the circuit. Use a Sulzer or a Walt Jung reg,
make some by yourself, they are easy to bult, cheap,stable and very good. I have no doubt that they are better then the one on the drawing.
I have good results with the Sulzer regs, and the circuits
are free to download on the Walt Jung site.
Give it a try!!

Woood09

Hi:

Not sure where you got that regulator schematic, but it shows DC in, not AC. I think the diodes you are blowing are not on the schematic, so it is hard to diagnose why they are blowing. Also, the schematic you posted has sense connections which you do not show on your earlier wiring diagram; do your Salas reg boards have sense connections?

Anyway, if you are blowing the rectifier diodes then you are puling too much current through them. This would imply that the regulator is shorted to ground. I don't know anything about the circuit you are connecting to, but you should double-check your connections. You should also fuse your transformer primary so you blow a cheap fuse instead of rectifiers or other components.

Hi rudy,
I saw the drawing of the regulator, and there isn't an op-amp in the circuit.

The presence or absence of an op-amp is irrelevant to the performance of a regulator. Some very good Jung-style series voltage regulators use op-amps as error amps. The Salas regulator design is a shunt regulator, and does not use an op-amp, but it performs very well indeed.

The problem here is not one of regulator performance. The problem is he is blowing up the (rectifier?) diodes in his regulator. This suggests the regulator is hooked up incorrectly, and a Jung/Sulzer regulator will perform no better under such circumstances.

[/QUOTE]