Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Hotiron, nezbleu, You were right! I had connected pin 3 to pin 6 on the op-amp, so the output that I was seeing at pin 6 was in fact the pre-reg V of 2.522V.

I am now fixing it to ensure that 5534 has a +5 supply to p7 and 0V to pin 4. And of course readjusting the pre-reg so that the ACTUAL output of the op-amp at pin 6 is in 2.522V. So no "alien electronics" after all!

Hotiron, nezbleu, You were right! I had connected pin 3 to pin 6 on the op-amp, so the output that I was seeing at pin 6 was in fact the pre-reg V of 2.522V.

Good, because what you were suggesting before was impossible. So did you use the 2.5V reference IC that was in the original schematic, or did you replace it with an LM317? What does this say about your listening results? You heard remarkable improvement after attaching a bog-standard LM317 regulator, which probably has no better (or even worse) bandwidth, noise, and impedance than the circuit it was meant to "improve". Kinda makes you wonder, no?

Nezbleu, Hotiron,
Thanks again for pointing out my "blonde moment", LOL

I setup correctly last night and listened again. Remember that the 2.5V supply was provided by an LM317 that had used a pre-reg in the form of a ALW low noise super reg.

That may explain the benefits heard.

With the correct circuit, the benefits remain as before-cleaner, lower noise floor, more details, especially in the mids.

If you're skeptical two things:
1. Note the use of the ALW Super reg, regarded as a good low noise voltage reg
2. Build it, listen, post results here

Last edited:
Nezbleu, Hotiron,
Thanks again for pointing out my "blonde moment", LOL

I setup correctly last night and listened again. Remember that the 2.5V supply was provided by an LM317 that had used a pre-reg in the form of a ALW low noise super reg.

That may explain the benefits heard.

With the correct circuit, the benefits remain as before-cleaner, lower noise floor, more details, especially in the mids.

If you're skeptical two things:
1. Note the use of the ALW Super reg, regarded as a good low noise voltage reg
2. Build it, listen, post results here

Hi Dr.H,

So, it's ok to replace the ZMR25H with a LM317 feeding from a 7805 pre-reg, right? Can I also eliminate the D1, R1 and C1, C3 and C4 with the LM317 reg circuit?

why would you have a super regulator as a preregulator for a lm317? wouldnt the other way around using a opamp with good low common mode voltage limits and fed from before the prereg for the ALW (to get down to that low voltage)? seems a waste to use a jung type reg and follow it with a plain old 3 pin reg. or did you mean it to read the other way around? or is too high current for the ALW?

Syklab, yes you can replace ZMR25H with an LM317 set for 2.5V. Keep the other componets.

type John Westlake regulator into google, the first link has a doc that explains it well.

qusp: It's simply what I had in the Shigaclone. I need to generate a 2.5V output for the 5534, so fed the lm317 a 5V input, adjusted that to 2.5V after the 317.

top cover

I've got this nice little aluminum enclosure I happened to pick up on ebay awhile back (which I had forgotten about). It's perfectly sized too.

I've drilled out some pilot holes for the buttons, but just marked up the cd laser / transport hole.

I'm thinking of using my stepped drill bit, and a file -but I'm not sure that's going to give me a nice clean finish (and don't want to spend hours filing away either.)

Any suggestions?

I'll post some photo's soon.

I've got this nice little aluminum enclosure I happened to pick up on ebay awhile back (which I had forgotten about). It's perfectly sized too.

I've drilled out some pilot holes for the buttons, but just marked up the cd laser / transport hole.

I'm thinking of using my stepped drill bit, and a file -but I'm not sure that's going to give me a nice clean finish (and don't want to spend hours filing away either.)

Any suggestions?

I'll post some photo's soon.

Hi,
Can you post some picture of the enclosure? I am also been looking for one for the Shigaclone.

No problem. I'll post them as soon as I get home.

I've started using front panel express to design the top panel, but I think a minimum charge would be like $20~$25 for the top.

Actually, if anyone can refer a cnc machinist who can machine aluminum or Plexiglas - I think they'd only need a .dfx file to work with.

Last edited:
Here's what I've got so far...

DSC00091.JPG

DSC00092.JPG

I need to finish the top cover, fix that cd switch (and trace) and cut the standoffs to size.

Yesterday I received a Marigo CD Mat. This rigid ultra thin and hardly weighing a thing cd I placed on top of a regular cd.
It is definitely an improvement so I will keep it ( a 30 day return policy).

Things like more space are the first changes that hit you...

Better bass response/control
Resulting in e.g. the track:
"You do not know what love is (C. Wilson)
Here the bass line was a bit prominent but with the Madrigo the balance was there.
With classical music recorded in churches and halls you get more clues of the environment.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I agree it is a expensive tweak but if you want to squeeze the last drop out of the Redbook cd I think this will be a way to go.....I will not use it in my Blue Ray player since the coating will damage easily

Last edited: