Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I like the looks of Peter's dac and the price for the kit is about right in my ballpark. Any other diy suggestions. I would like the option of balanced out also.
Peter's DAC is fantastic - exquisitely detailed, wonderfully smooth and natural sound with incredible drive. A great example of a properly implemented non-oversampled DAC, and working passive output stage. If you try it, you will find it very hard to go back to "normal" DACs.
Thanks Peter! It looks a bit more complex than I had hoped for (in terms of parts count), meaning it won't be THAT cheap to build, but I think I'll make it my next project anyway, and see where it takes me :)

Ah, fair enough. It's just that these things made a quite a improvement in my opinion. You seem to be one of the few around here with them.

A good few people have emailed me looking for pucks...... I'm up to my eyes in the day job and it will be some time before I make any more. Months at least..

In fact the last one I sent out was my own personal one! I don't have one of my own right now....

Hi Fran,

You talking about the Ebben screw puck?
Not the CD Platform.

Rudy

Attachments

• puckdrawing!!.jpg
    puckdrawing!!.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 683
Last edited:
The way I did it, I keep the existing platform. I make a threaded insert from some 6mm bar that will press fit into the centre hole of the platform, and then turn the actual puck to match the drawing thats here a few pages back.

So all you really need is some 6mm bar and the wood. I'm sure kingwood would be fine. All you need is a wood dense and fine grained enough to take a thread in the center hole.

Fran

Hi Rudy,

I am a newbee in this, what is your Aluminum CD Platform looks like ? Can you share some drawing or picture on that?

Regards

Hi syklab,

The CD Platform in combination with the Puck is now polished and finished.
I only need to wait, because it will also be black anodized.
The drawing you see a few pages above 4807.
When the unit’s arrives I make a picture so you all can see the results :xfingers:

Regards,
Rudy

I am new to this borad and this thread is very interesting. Since I am in US and it seems there is no way to get the EZ31 or EZ51. So I would like to try other approaches. To my understanding there are 3 majors parts for the transport. 1)CD deck; 2) Optical pick-up and 3) the DSP chipset. My question is, out of these three which one is the most critical to the Shigaclone sound.
Thanks

If I want to use a dac in the same enclosure as the transport is it necessary to have the resistors at DOUT? In one of Peter's pictures it looks like he has just a twisted pair of wires going into the dac behind the transport. Does this affect the sound at ll to do this? I plan to make this an all inclusive project. That way if I want to take it somewhere to show it off I don't have to worry about having the dac with me.