Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Hi,
can someone tell me what chip IC 903 is ?
I have that number but schematic doesn't tell me anymore and alot of links in the first part of this thread are gone, I fried this chip and found out metal shavings ,microsize had found thier way to the magnet in the lazer,must have caused it to bind and locked it in place, I file sometimes on my bench so I figured that's where they came from,,,,Any way I need a controller board,or that chip,ANY suggestions,I found some jvc rc31 boxes but they won't ship to usa from canada, THANKS ALOT!

Not the mains and bybee, but the mods before that? Uncle leon tried to guess what they were...

200VA Trafo 12V with CT, 2x Cerafine caps 1000uF/25V, 2x MSR860, 1x LM7808, 2x Blackgates 470uF/25V and removed the ferrite spool and the 2 caps on the board and replaced by a "Red" Blackgate 33 uF/50V
Silver Cotton Jupiter Wire with 2 Allen Bradleys 300/100 and a WBT Next Gen (Gold) and a Furutech Rhodium Power Inlet with a 2K Linefilter and 2 Bybees

Not the mains and bybee, but the mods before that? Uncle leon tried to guess what they were...
200VA Trafo 12V with CT, 2x Cerafine caps 1000uF/25V, 2x MSR860, 1x LM7808, 2x Blackgates 470uF/25V and removed the ferrite spool and the 2 caps on the board and replaced by a "Red" Blackgate 33 uF/50V
Silver Cotton Jupiter Wire with 2 Allen Bradleys 300/100 and a WBT Next Gen (Gold) and a Furutech Rhodium Power Inlet with a 2K Linefilter and 2 Bybees
I was guessing at Peter's new set of mods, not Erik's (and got them right ;)).

Not really, I just installed it there assuming it's a best cap for a job, and didn't bother to compare it with anything else this time.

However, I did extensive listening tests with caps directly at the input of a DAC and V-Cap was definitely the best choice here. Some of my friends actually prefer it at the DAC's input vs. no cap at all. The new Cu version of the V-Cap, sounds a bit better too.

Hi,
can someone tell me what chip IC 903 is ?
It is LA6541. All those chips are really hard to find.

Last edited:
Hi Peter,
On the 2 latest pics you show a standard spindle against a Delrin with an Ebony Fran Puck.....do you use the latter as your own transport nowadays to judge mods or is it just an older photo...

A pity (for me:D) that you did a few mods in one go but I do hope that if you are in a situation to hear the original cap 906 against the V-cap that you are willing to post your findings....;)
I found the Wondercap in the 906 position a "huge" difference but out of stock nowadays...:(

ground scheme

If using a two prong electrical plug, where do you terminate the (star) ground.
Would a ground lug on the outside of the unit work, then connect a wire to the ground lug of the preamp (the one meant for phono)
Or is everyone using a 3 wire electrical plug (hot neutral and ground)

Thanks,
Paul

I changed C908 at the same time as other caps, so can't say what that particular mod did.

Hi Peter,
On the 2 latest pics you show a standard spindle against a Delrin with an Ebony Fran Puck.....do you use the latter as your own transport nowadays to judge mods or is it just an older photo...

In my reference Shiga transport I had always Delrin disk table, it's just that I didn't use that chassis recently and just put it back into use last week. So yes, that's what I'm using now for listening.

Attachments

• CDT33.jpg
    CDT33.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 739
  • cd44.jpg
    cd44.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 720
hi pforeman,
Most people use a 3 prong ,one reason is it's polarized and the other is it is grounded at the outlet,with a two prong you can turn it around and induce HUM sometimes, the ground should go to the case ,there is 2 grounds one for power and one for signal,In the case from a phono I would ground as near the phono preamp input as I could,and there is a common ground at the power supply,maybe others can add to this!
cheers!