Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

back on the subject of power supplies - a couple of weeks ago i finally decided to split the +5v supply at the point in the pic below which is from a previous post - hope the owner doesn't mind me using it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm aware that many peoples experience is that it makes no difference but I've almost always found that seperating supplies like this makes a great difference to sound quality - anyway, i had to give it a go to satisfy my own curiosity.

i injected a fresh +5v supply from an Audiocom Super Reg 3 which i acquired recently. I also replaced C954 with a decent 10uF BG (it is actually across the +5v supply) and sat back ................................. I have to say that while there was an improvement in clarity - it also seemed to muddy the waters a bit in the lower freqs! - not good.

I then decided to try one of these instead - MURATA POWER SOLUTIONS|7805SR-C|SWITCHING REGULATOR | Farnell United Kingdom

I found out about these babies from AoS and was pretty impressed by them - in it went and I sat back again ...................................... much much better!! - the same clarity but without muddying up the bass - very happy - and cheap too!

Certainly I reckon it is worth seperating that +5v supply - but the results do seem to be dependant on the reg used.

I've had the hardware for the Shingaclone for a while just sitting protected in a drawer with the new crystal and caps. No mods or work have been done to the hardware in any way. It sits as it was shipped to me from Algar.

In that time I've acquired a Sony C2000ES and Denon DCD-F101 that I'm using in my console.

I have PD's NOS USB DAC and his phono stage that I'm using as alternate sources.

So, I'm willing to offer up my hardware to anyone who is interested. I'm just looking to recover my cost so the funds can be applied to my AudioSector F5 builds.

PM me if your interested and I'll send you the cost I have incurred and we can go from there.

I've collected parts for your scheme of post #3786.
Could you suggest where do I have to connect this point on the board?

Attachments

• Peter_scheme_reclock.jpg
    Peter_scheme_reclock.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 838
Offboard mounting

When I bought a spare mechanism, it came with a small pcb just containing an end of travel limit switch and a connection socket.

I took mine off and replaced it with the main standard board and forgot about it. Then I saw somewhere an image of the main board separated from the mechanism and strung out like a trampoline to one side.

I did not see any comments as to whether this has any positive effects, (replacing the main board by a much lighter one - not the trampoline) but seen as how the shigaclone is so sensitive to mechanical mounting I would not be surprised.

Anybody like to comment? I am too lazy to take it all apart and remount it just to try.

Attachments

• IMG_3699.JPG
    IMG_3699.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:
The advice given waaaay back in the thread was that it was beneficial to separate the PCB from the mech. In my case one is jut mounted above the other and I added a little bit of wire to "extend" the reach of the bit of plastic on the mech that hits the limit switch.

I think the theory was that you were removing the motors from the pcb and they were a contributor to noise and vibration. Does it make a big difference? Probably not huge, but its all incremental I suppose. I don't think Peter does it anymore.

Fran

Hello Peter how do you use the shigaraki clone right now
with the original resonator and no black gates ?
I cant find it in the topic

I use it as described here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ansport-shigaclone-story-187.html#post1998679

Recently I added clocked output and I quite enjoy it: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ansport-shigaclone-story-190.html#post2019595

I was never separating motors from main board; too much hassle. Besides, I do have "backup" transport with such feature ;)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ransport-shigaclone-story-44.html#post1505696

Just a quick question here;

Where does a clock circuit fit in? Is it part of the transport or part of the dac?

I've built a couple of battery operated "monica" dacs (without any clock installed) - just a digital in.

I'm building an ezdac as well (hopefully) and it has a clock in the circuit.

Just curious that's all.

When I bought a spare mechanism, it came with a small pcb just containing an end of travel limit switch and a connection socket.

I took mine off and replaced it with the main standard board and forgot about it. Then I saw somewhere an image of the main board separated from the mechanism and strung out like a trampoline to one side.

I did not see any comments as to whether this has any positive effects, (replacing the main board by a much lighter one - not the trampoline) but seen as how the shigaclone is so sensitive to mechanical mounting I would not be surprised.

Anybody like to comment? I am too lazy to take it all apart and remount it just to try.

Yes, I think it is worth separating electronics from mech for better details and opportunity to tune the sound by placing the el. board on various supports(carbon rods,wood etc.).The best in my chain it sounded with carbon placed on parafin table.Try it ,just have to solder 6 wires from board to board.Much better this way in my case.With Shiga you can tune the sound in so many ways ,what is the best part of the project.It remind my to analog turntable time ,endless bettering. By the way ,how to easy upload the photos with the post(always too big the photo size).