Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

This evening I finished the external cables...a 25 hour-job devided over 4 days ...but I reckon worth it...

I made an exception by working on a week-evening...but that is because I wanna be able to play on a finished transport this year at.........:xmastree:

Attachments

• cables.jpg
    cables.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,171
A question about power supply.
I browsed the net to find information on LM78xx regulator (I've a technical background, but not on electronics). I found many schemes like the one in this thread (and that I made for my shigaclone).
In these schemes, cap before regulator is usually around 1000/2000uF, but cap after LM is from 0.1uF to 0.47uF (not 1000 uF).
For our application, is it more important quality, capacitance value or both?
Thanks.

Another question.
I've a 80VA CT transformer in backorder from Digikey (the only items remained in back order). Now I'm using a 30VA CT. The transport works well. Do you suggest to maintain the 80VA back order and install it when it will be delivered (two months) or cancel it and stay with the 30VA? Thanks.

It is named Glass-Silk....and all I can say is that on one of my tailormade cables (as a total) it was a pleasing effect....in sound and looks

Material is some sort of glassfibers but it looks feels like natural fibers ...very soft and flexible/stretchable.. woven.

...anyway it gave me a much better feel(-ing) than your average nylon/teflon sheathing...

I bought it in Delft (HEC Electronics) but I guess your Radio Shack can supply....

m.massimo said:
A question about power supply.
I browsed the net to find information on LM78xx regulator (I've a technical background, but not on electronics). I found many schemes like the one in this thread (and that I made for my shigaclone).
In these schemes, cap before regulator is usually around 1000/2000uF, but cap after LM is from 0.1uF to 0.47uF (not 1000 uF).
For our application, is it more important quality, capacitance value or both?
Thanks.

It's quite common to use large caps after 78xx regulators, here's one such example: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=942394#post942394

If you use very low cap value, the bass will be missing (in Shigaclone)

m.massimo said:
Another question.
I've a 80VA CT transformer in backorder from Digikey (the only items remained in back order). Now I'm using a 30VA CT. The transport works well. Do you suggest to maintain the 80VA back order and install it when it will be delivered (two months) or cancel it and stay with the 30VA? Thanks.

There is subtle difference between low power transformer and higher power, although I would say that in my system comparing 50VA vs 100VA was rather negligable.

Hi my frist post in this thread and hopeful not the last one :)

I did start on my trassport lastnigth after dismounting an EZ51H that i found in an local shop..

My powersupply is finished, Iam using an 2x12v/50va ulveco toroid BYV79 diodes and 2200uf/25 BG ,1000uf/25 BG and a 7808 reg.

My plan is to bild the transport as it is done in this pdf file http://tim.cheapo.cc/images/CD player mods.pdf. But i did run it to a small issue today, i cant find any parts use, i want black gates but i cant find them in norway, and the didital output resistors are not easy to find here .. so if anyone here has black gates and some resistors that i can use i will be verry happy to buy them :)

Iam alitle unsure what to do whit the oscillator change it or use a clock, guess i will use the stock one in the begining ..

Dont hate me for my bad spelling :)

I wouldn't be loosing sleep over all those additional mods and finding Black Gates.

I just put together another transport, the mechanism is mounted on standoffs to a bottom copper plate.

I only replaced PS, as descibed here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1468036#post1468036
Everything else, including resonator, is stock. The output resistors are 100/300R Mills.

The transport plays really good, as good as the original Shigaraki.

In some ways it is better that my prevous built, especially when it comes to raw energy in reproduced sound. The trade off is slightly less refinement and smoothness, but when you get used to it, you won't even notice ;)

I will later post more pics of the inside job.

Attachments

• cd2.jpg
    cd2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 2,321
Massimo you got mail

Duka, I dont think it matter so mutch where you place the output resistors, i will mount them on the board.

Peter Thats an realy nice looking transport, did you mount the mechanism whit no damping/springs ?

Iam planing to use copper in my transport too, its a nice metal to work whit and i have alot of it too about 1 tonn :)