Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Thanks guys. What you suggest is what I intend to do - let it burn in for a while. I didn't notice any change really with the crystal, but the cap, definitely. I think I will leave the ERO in there for now and see how it goes. If it just "bloomed" a touch it would make all the difference - which I suppose is why I was asking what you guys heard.

My PS is not 100% sorted, and as you all say, I should probably pay some attention there first. I have a pretty respectable one, schottky diodes into a panasonic FM 1800uF, then the 7808 and then the blackgate 1000uF. So its a bit better than stock. I do have one of Peters boards and the parts to make a copy of his, although a bigger improvement may be available if I just got off my *** and bought a 50va transformer!

For someone else reading this.... as it is now the CDP has some of the best digital sound I have heard, really, really good. In fact, I'm pretty reluctant to change any of the components as the sound is so good. These are final little tweaks...

Fran

PS: the spare transport arrived yesterday from the ebay seller posted back a page or two. Looks perfect and at under a tenner, great value.

Re: remote control

woodturner-fran said:
Hi again,

meant to ask this earlier, but has anyone had success using a universal remote control to control this unit?

Fran

Yes Fran I use the Philips Pronto...
Altough it still carries my homemade Wadia Logos (I will soon change that into the PiTbull Logo....) the buttons are re-programmed in the JVC ( the small remote comming with the boombox) commands...

Since you obviously cannot download the .ccf from
Remote Central Com....hahahahaha.... I used the learn function ....

It works from even the most difficult angles...
;)

Attachments

• pronto.jpg
    pronto.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,163
transport & real dac output

Bravo erik
looks like "Heaven on Earth" has come
in your house

Can i make this shigaclone function together as
Transport and cd player as the "same time"

due to limited budget for some diyer (for me too,
of course) for this time can we make this shiga function
as cd player just use this cd dac and we can connect
too as transport

after i got fund next day so i can build another dac
so i just connect the (rca) tranport on this shiga
and this will sing too

Is It Possible ? What mods we must make on it ?

Thanks for the compliments...

I do not know exactly what you are getting at..so I will give a few answers and maybe there is a usefull one among them...j:D

I have built (and still are building) the Shiga as a transport and the costs so far are 3000 Euro....(without discussion for me in my set up indeed heaven)

I use the transport in combination with a DAC Audionote 3 incredibly modified by a dutch guy Peter van Willenswaard....who is actually a wizzard in designing a good circuit with non oversampling and tubes all over and no electrolytics but a disaster in layout and soldering....but that does not bother me because the results are great and I can take care of the rest...

Anyway this DAC sets you back another 3000 euro (they compared the dac with the dac 5 signature 25000 euro and....)

So it is hardly anything the topic starter promised (since affordable is such a relative term but mostly used to indicate CHEAP) but as you
aptly called it for me....HEAVEN...(I had another 6000 euro Wadia over the week-end and ...no match...so all worth it)

My feeling/experience is that most of the people using the original Shiga use it in conjunction with a nos dac....I reckon a dac PETER made is also a very good match ...so affordable diy stuff...

I think the last choice would be to use the dac in the Boombox...it probably would give you a bang for the buck but cannot be considered serious music-pleasure due to its budget limitations...but than again it is also fully justified to get an immense thrill out of that DIY work as well....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The internal dac sounds ok but not great. I don't recommend using it. (Note mine is based on an RC-EZ32 so there are likely small differences.)

Mine ran the equivalent of about 400 euros, but it could be done much cheaper than this.

Erik's of course is the ultimate, but I think you would need to have a system of comparable quality to his in order to justify the expense.

I would purchase one of the many inexpensive dacs on eBay for use with this transport, all probably will better the onboard dac..

mmm, you guys are spending a lot on these. I paid about 200 euro so far - and some of those parts (esp the case) are from the scrap heap.

Eriks has to be the daddy of them all though - surely the statement build!

Of course if I was to add up the hours spent building it, never mind the ones spent reading about it, you would be looking into thousands! But then thats not DIY really is it?

Well worth doing it though. Peters DAC is very good - although the twisted pear fellas have a mod out for the IVY/buffalo which makes it a lot nicer listen.

Fran

erik, i am addicted to your posts.

What he say.....

In fact I think maybe we should all cobble together a few quid so that Erik doesn't have to work at all, just diy and take photos of the build!

On my own front, tonight I populated one of Peters PS boards (MSR860s, BG 1000uF x 2 and the 7808) and wired it all up to a huge 225VA 12V transformer that I salvaged. When I had it out I also wired back in the remote control sensor - although I haven;t even tried that yet. I also wired an extra connector for the LED in the display and added in a 20K pot for adjusting brightness. About 10K does indeed seem right for that. All in all about an hours work - and tell you this, that huge chassis fills up pretty quick when you add all that stuff in!

Anyway, I haven't listened really much, only just fired it up to make sure it was reading ok and working. I will get to listen more tomorrow night I think and listen more critically as well.

Fran