Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Today I continued with the housing...

I use layers to get 54 mm Birch as a plateau to mount the top plate and have a construction I can use for further devious plans...:D

Attachments

• followdots.jpg
    followdots.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,394
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Erik, I liked your old sig line better.. :devilr: (baldly)

Project looks great. I'm just enjoying my pit bull now, all done - and all those BG have finally broken in, in both the dac and the transport and the combo really gives my modded Sony SACD player (SCD-777ES) a run for the money. :D Comparing CD to CD the combo wins handily, comparing CD on the combo to SACD on the Sony it's often a toss up. (Not quite what I expected I'll admit.)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Peter Daniel said:
Hi Kevin,

I achieved quite an improvement when I installed those caps in a Sony. Never compard Shigaclon with Sony directly, but SACDs sound pretty good ;)

OT:

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the tip, that is one set of components I haven't replaced in mine so far. I did bypass everything after the I/V converters by using UTC A-20 line to line transformers to convert balanced output to balanced or unbalanced output (as desired) bypassing everything else. Big improvement, however I am certain that changing out those .068uF caps would further up the ante, as something is still missing even after all of the upgrades and I generally prefer the ShigaClone with my dac to the Sony even playing SACDs.. I also plan to make a small outrider and use THS4131 differential monolithic amplifiers for the I/V instead of the LM4562 dual op-amps I now use.

The dac and ShigaClone sound very analog to my surprise and delight.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Erik van Voorst said:
Baldly...was due to my poor english but gave it a nice twist...although a bit disrespectful as a "Trekkie" :D

Another foto to give it some shape....I really enjoy it now...:wiz:

Hi Erik,
I wouldn't say your English was "poor" in any sense, even speaking it as a second language. Despite living in Belgium as a teenager and having Dutch (Flemish really) speaking friends, the Dutch I know amounts to a smattering of just a few words here and there - not even enough to construct a sentence in fact. Your English is excellent, better in fact than many native speakers.

And your Shigaclone epic is entertaining, inspiring, and informative.

I liked the "baldly" reference as so many of us hasten in that direction - I thought it was a bit of deliberate irony or a perhaps just a typo.. I was never quite sure, but I liked the ambiguity of it. :devilr: