Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

All of the components have been replaced as per the PDF.

When ordering the Blackgate capacitors I had difficulty locating the 4.7uf caps so purchased 10uf instead. Please be aware you may encounter tracking problems due to the laser sledge brushing against E3 and E4 (Thanks Audio1st). After failing to lay the caps flat enough I resorted to trimming one of the plastic tabs under the laser assembly. I know I probably shouldn't have done this but It hasn't affected the sound in anyway.

I have noticed there is some background hiss when the music is playing. This has been present during each component change. If you remember I am using the on-board DAC.

Does anyone have suggestion?

Thanks

Richard

Attachments

• pcb flat cap.jpg
    pcb flat cap.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,250
ditch the dac

Hi tripmaster,

Seriously don't waste your time with the onboard DAC, I even took the resistor out that feeds power to the onboard DAC. The sound is sooo much better when you go with a good DAC. I am using a transformer- 110 ohm AES- balanced cable to either a monica2 or a wolfson dac, and either way it is the best sound from a CD I have ever heard. I have started buying some of the real well recorded CDs, and I am becoming extremely spoiled.

JimS

Unidentified Flying Object / U.F.O.

Hi Erik

Erik van Voorst said:
Being stubborn I was now able to choose out of different platforms and combination with different pucks...

Before listening "in place"...

YESSSSS ...ZERO TOLERANCE...I received that with one out of four platforms from Singapore in combination with a puck from Utrecht (Void/Wilco/Remco)..yeh even the screw on pucks were diffrent and introduced a wobble from slight to unacceptable..

So Utrecht-Singapore-The Hague took care of getting me finally what I wanted...a 100 percent job

Especially with the blue light on a transparant puck...it is dead easy to see any deviation....none..happy me !!!!
The other puck/platforms had deviation from slightly towards unacceptable

Results exactly what Peter experienced....the sound comes far more out of the left and right speaker...very good stage...and more...uhhh....stressfree

This is a no brainer ...the magnet is a goner....enter the Delrin/Acryl combo...

How can the blue light can be like there ?
How much volt for your Lamp ? What is type are they ???
Where you buy your clamp ? How much for the price ?

"Spaceman" song running :D

Erik van Voorst said:

Teaching is a big word but I will keep posting (only) my winning pics....I will not post all my "mistakes" with their story afraid of becoming boring in Peter's topic...

:snail:

I think at the first time you are very smart people erik so
i didnt brave to follow your steps because all the thing were
perfect looks

Welcome for DIY Audio Forum for Human Race
But I still need your mistake and error so i didnt get it TROUBLE

Thanks for PD and Erik
Regards, Jeffry

Re: ditch the dac

jims said:
Hi tripmaster,

Seriously don't waste your time with the onboard DAC, I even took the resistor out that feeds power to the onboard DAC. The sound is sooo much better when you go with a good DAC. I am using a transformer- 110 ohm AES- balanced cable to either a monica2 or a wolfson dac, and either way it is the best sound from a CD I have ever heard. I have started buying some of the real well recorded CDs, and I am becoming extremely spoiled.

JimS

Hi Jims

Thanks for you reply. I don't intend wasting too much time with the on-board DAC;)
An outboard DAC is most definitely on my shopping list.

A friend is coming over this weekend with one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/HI-END-24bit-19...oryZ3272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It will interesting to hear the difference even with one of these low cost DACs.

I didn't know if the background his is merely the on-board DAC or something else that could be easily corrected.

Richard

Hello Jeffrey,

The blue led is simple...just a bright led 12 V with a resistor...I will experiment in time with the brightness..
The blue light reflects as a mystery on the puck but is actually easy mounted just above the cd (like the Kalista)

The Platforms are from Clearaudio Singapore and Quartel Miniature Models at Rotterdam..

Mind you only ONE (combination) was good (without devition)...so it is costly...to get it as you want...

At Quartel it costs 69 Euro's...and Clearaudio I think 50 dollars

The screw-on Puck is from a dutch Shigaraki-dealer..

Re: Re: ditch the dac

Tripmaster said:

Hi Jims

Thanks for you reply. I don't intend wasting too much time with the on-board DAC;)
An outboard DAC is most definitely on my shopping list.

A friend is coming over this weekend with one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/HI-END-24bit-19...oryZ3272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It will interesting to hear the difference even with one of these low cost DACs.

I didn't know if the background his is merely the on-board DAC or something else that could be easily corrected.

Richard

I have the same DAC ,but i didn't connect it yet with shigaraki.
Without modding ,this dac is nothing but waste of time.Ofc ,if u do not have any other sources it will be fine ;)

Heh , i got this DAC for free ,from a friend on local forum :D .
He tried many mods on it and finally got bored and decided to give it someone as a gift.
Well ,maybe i was to rough calling it waste of time ,but that's just opinion of him ,and few others that tried this DAC.
After op amp change (BB2111) ,battery supply ,trafo's on interstage he concluded that it beats some 700-800e dac's.
Unmoded he said it sound just like ordinary player like mine.
However ,i have not heard it yet ,but i surely will and with shigaraki too.
I truly hope that this combo will beat my sony x222es ,which is nothing more than an "portly" player but still doing it's job.
Btw. price-quality combo is really unbeatable ;) (especially in my case:clown: )

Puffin ,do you have this dac 2 ?Have u menage to connect it to shigaclone ?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mmm I made a new power supply, and also installed a crystal oscillator, now it wont read the TOC properly...
I reinstalled my TentClock, and same thing here. The only difference is the lenght of the clock feed supply; I cut those wires and attached the crystal to it.

With only the crystal attached, (no Capacitors) it didnt work at all; he never read the toc.

Any tips on how to make the crystal work with the 3 wire trick perhaps? I`m not sure how to hook it up ;-)

O CRYSTAL
! !
! !
OOO + - + at the printboard
! ! !
! ! !
! ! !
! ! !
! !
! < 3 twisted wires not connected at the end