Attachments

• cd_top.jpg
    cd_top.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,365
kevinkr said:

Very nice!

Thanks!! Showing off one's concoctions is part of the fun I guess. :D

kevinkr said:

The suggested divider is for spdif over coax, you drive a totx directly as you are doing.

FWIW toslink optical is inferior - your shigaclone really deserves the best bnc/coax set up you can manage. Make your other devices compatible with it, not the other way around and you will have no regrets.

Aha, so I need a switch before the divider then. Thanks.

My other project is a pcm1794 (Twisted Pear) with RAKK tube output. I want to feed that from my Airport Express so I need a toslink anyway on the DAC (next to a BNC of course). Having a toslink on the transport would then be just for convenience.

And... for now I have a single TDA1543 DAC with only toslink to test.

Jeroen.

Attachments

• crap_tda1543.jpg
    crap_tda1543.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,330
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
JeroenR said:

Thanks!! Showing off one's concoctions is part of the fun I guess. :D

Aha, so I need a switch before the divider then. Thanks.

My other project is a pcm1794 (Twisted Pear) with RAKK tube output. I want to feed that from my Airport Express so I need a toslink anyway on the DAC (next to a BNC of course). Having a toslink on the transport would then be just for convenience.

And... for now I have a single TDA1543 DAC with only toslink to test.

Jeroen.

Get rid of the toslink on your tda1543 dac and I expect you will notice some significant improvement. The receiver IC should accept spdif levels without a problem or you can google for a simple spdif receiver..

kevinkr said:

Get rid of the toslink on your tda1543 dac and I expect you will notice some significant improvement. The receiver IC should accept spdif levels without a problem or you can google for a simple spdif receiver..

The receiver in the TDA1543 DAC is a cs8416 Twisted Pear board that has a transformer spdif input so I could try that (it is hidden under the DAC print). Again, I do want to be able to use the Airport Express sometimes (music and movies). I'm a bit stuck though on how to switch between BNC and toslink without compromising the BNC quality.

Thanks for the input Kevin!!!

Jeroen

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
JeroenR said:

The receiver in the TDA1543 DAC is a cs8416 Twisted Pear board that has a transformer spdif input so I could try that (it is hidden under the DAC print). Again, I do want to be able to use the Airport Express sometimes (music and movies). I'm a bit stuck though on how to switch between BNC and toslink without compromising the BNC quality.

Thanks for the input Kevin!!!

Jeroen

It might take some improvisation but it would probably be a good idea to convert the airport express to spdif as well. Use a good spdif transformer for isolation, and I would recommend adding a cm choke ahead of the transformer. Take a look at my old media server thread for some details on cm choke/transformer combo.. Does your CS8416 board have an option for not using the transformer? It doesn't seem to be necessary with the Shigaclone (I'm not using one in my clone or dac) according to Peter as well, and with the suggested mods you don't need it with the airport either. (Note that my current sound card does have a transformer, but the output is not isolated from the computer chassis as far as I know. (Haven't checked) Sounds fine going through two transformers though (and in a lot of pro and very high end gear this would also be the case.)

No I work mainly without drawings...I just get an idea and start to play with it in my garage (very small workshop)...

For my aluboard I took a normal empty laserboard and screwed a plate of aluminium underneath it into an mdf board...(to have a substantial platform to work with.....it is of the utmost important not to bend the 1.2 mm aluminium board..)

I started carefully to drill holes using the normal board as a template (srewed in place)....when finished drilling I took a set of iridium key-files and started......that took me 10 hours to produce an identical board but this time made of polished aluminium....

My wife said that they should use this work to further punish prisoners:wave2s:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm done with 3rd party clamps. My advice - stick to the original magnetic puck and platter assembly. I'm very disappointed - making one that does not wobble in several plane requires a very high level of skill, and my experience has been totally unsatisfactory.

Alternatively find an old laptop cdrom drive with the ball bearing style clamp and use that instead.