Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Todat I made a stunning approvement to the clone...

Not for beginners but I guess with a lot of patience ...

I made a new laser assembly board out of aluminum...

It took me 10 hours to drill/file/measure etc..

I also exchanged the steel laser guidance rod for stainless steel and all the screws for brass....

I kid you not but for me the change was as great as putting a new clock in...:bigeyes:

Attachments

• mountingplates.jpg
    mountingplates.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,424
Yes for me in my set-up the structural difference is there.....and the plusses outweigh the minusses by far....

I still have a few tricks up my sleeve...so maybe I can take care of the last details....

It is much more analog like...incredible just how much natural colour there are on the instruments....for me I do not want to go back to the Wadia anymore.....the flow of the music is addictive

I hate selling my audio-equipment dus I will find a nice spot for it...:RIP: :clown:

Ps
Only kidding...it goes probably next to the Revox A77 :hbeat:

"It is much more analog like...incredible just how much natural colour there are on the instruments....for me I do not want to go back to the Wadia anymore.....the flow of the music is addictive"

I fully agree with that. I built my clone based on Peter's mod but using Panasonic FM/Rubycon ZL caps with stock resonator and had been very impressed with it so far.

I actually sold my Wadia 8 recently.

Tham

Ok i started this project today and ive hit a snag allready, never a good sign!

Ive got the unit running from 8v off of the original ps untill i can get another transformer, i thought it would be good for a before and after aswell.
ive changed a couple of bits allready just to get it up and running for the other mods. for all intense and purposes the thing is working, it powers up, the disc plays but im not getting any signal through the digital out. Im using my audigy 2's cd spdif in for now though i do have an amp with digital in that im using to troubleshoot and its the same on both, no audio atall.

Here is what i have done so far

Ive marked in red the caps i have removed and the jumper i have put in as per the mods pdf.
S5030514.jpg

This is how im getting the digital out, im trying without resistors at the moment.
S5030520.jpg

Here is everything i have touched on the top of the board so far
S5030522.jpg

As you can see form the picture above, i have had to put the cap on a lead as i didnt quite realise how delicate the traces are on this board, i lifted the pad so i had to uncover the trace and solde rto that, i have cheacked this a couple of times and it seems like it is all were it needs to be.
S5030517.jpg

Maybe theres something ive missed i need to do before the digital out will work or maybe ive done some more serious damage? i have checked and everything seems ok though i have untrained eyes!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
kanifee said:
Ok i started this project today and ive hit a snag allready, never a good sign!

Ive got the unit running from 8v off of the original ps untill i can get another transformer, i thought it would be good for a before and after aswell.
ive changed a couple of bits allready just to get it up and running for the other mods. for all intense and purposes the thing is working, it powers up, the disc plays but im not getting any signal through the digital out. Im using my audigy 2's cd spdif in for now though i do have an amp with digital in that im using to troubleshoot and its the same on both, no audio atall.

<snip>

Maybe theres something ive missed i need to do before the digital out will work or maybe ive done some more serious damage? i have checked and everything seems ok though i have untrained eyes!

Make sure you have wired the digital out correctly. Also many SPDIF receiver ICs are overloaded by the nearly 5Vpp from the spdif output (in which case the receiver ic will not lock on the signal and generates a mute flag) - you really need to use the proper network. Look at some of my earlier posts on this subject. Others have encountered the same problem. If you have a scope you can check to see whether or not you have signal at your rca jack.