Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Today I took some time to get an idea how the transport will be build....

I used MDF to get a feel of proportion.....and low costs before I start hacking away with acryl and the likes.....

It wil look like the Metronome Kalista...well that is the idea..:D

Attachments

• drawingcircle.jpg
    drawingcircle.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,207
I just realised that an earth connection via the Trichord clock board is both unnecessary and undesirable: My clock power supply is derived from the main PS after the rectifiers, so the earth connection is already made. Hence I've snipped the earth wire near the transport board but left it twisted around the clock output wire:

For me, the external clock is definitely the way to go. :cool:

Attachments

• clock1.jpg
    clock1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,911
Joined 2002
Paid Member
kanifee said:
Im definatly going to find away to get my self a off board clock, ill build or buy though would prefer the build, can as good results be obtained by self built units?
I think i will get a normal clock though just to see what the differance is are, all knowledge is good knowledge!

If you search the forums you'll find the Kwak Clock 7 (KC7) gets good reviews and the schematic, parts list and support can all be found here for free.

Regards,
Dan

citizen crystal question

I am loving this CD transport, so much that I do not want to take it apart for more mods/experiments. Basically, Peter's suggestions with a few twists. I have been using the oscillator that came with the unit and thought I would try the citizen CSA309 crystal. Are you guys using 8pF from each leg to grnd, as per the datasheet? If so how important is it that you use exactly 8pF?

Thanks

JimS

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
jims said:
Kanifee

I tried a few different capacitors and found the Blackgates worked great. I would stick to Blackgates if you can get them. Otherwise I like the elna silmic electrolytics. Some have used tantalums, but I haven't tried them yet.

JimS

I like Blackgates too, and would recommend trying to get them from Michael Percy (USA) or Parts Connexion. (Canada) The exchange rates are working in your favor and the parts are small and could go by air mail for very reasonable rates.

Despite some trials and the hope that others would perform about as well, I haven't had that experience. I'm stocking up.. ;)

Kanifee

Check out this PDF, put together by algar_emi. Also you can use Peter's document from an early post to make the capacitor changes. I recall seeing a UK distributor of Blackgates when I was searching the web.

Any takers on my question about capacitors for the citizen crystal, a couple of posts up?

JimS

Attachments

• flatfish.pdf
    14.2 KB · Views: 413