Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Today I really made a giant leap forward...
Despite Peter's findings with the tent clock I had a thrill with installing the Trichord no. 4 ...

At the moment I made use of the 8V reg supply to supply the clock I will build a dedicated..
(with help from my audiofriend...twice the fun !!!).

This takes the transport to the next level and is making it a serious contender for my Wadia...
The synergy and the beautiful anologue sound remains....but you get it in spades...

I used Eva Cassidy and the live feeling ...clapping hands...steel string guitar...etc gets more detailed and less edgy...
Instruments get more body...(something I thought would be only the case when supplying the chips seperately)

The Jolie Holland gets considerably more PRat (which it really needs otherwise it gets too bored)

I urge you to experiment...for me in my set it delivers....:emoticon: :emoticon:

Attachments

• trichord.jpg
    trichord.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,601
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Erik van Voorst said:
Despite Peter's findings with the tent clock I had a thrill with installing the Thrichord no. 4 ...

At the moment I use the 8V reg supply but I will build a dedicated....

This takes the transport to the next level and is making it a serious contender for my Wadia...
The synergy and the beautiful anologue sound remains....but you get it in spades...

I used Eva Cassidy and the live feeling ...clapping hands...steel string guitar...etc gets more detailed and less edgy...
Instruments get more body...(something I thought would be only the case when supplying the chips seperately)

The Jolie Holland gets considerably more PRat (which it really needs otherwise it gets too bored)

I urge you to experiment...for me in my set it delivers....:emoticon: :emoticon:

Interesting, perhaps I will try an outboard clock at some point. I assume this one has a local (5V) regulator?

Well today i got a pleasant shock, i warn you first that this is a little long ion the tooth for some of you more experienced DIY buffs but i like pictures so Ive got a few for you.

A friend of mine turned up to day from his work travels with this for me
S5030377.jpg

needles to say i was quite chuffed though i had a nice offer from Iian hay for his spare unit so thanks mate!

S5030378.jpg

S5030379.jpg

On my search for a compatible unit ive picked up a spare laser rack and gear plate with motors, the PCB was no good but these will do nice for spares. It also has a nice small pcb with the laser stop switch mounted to it, this is going to go on my new unit.
S5030381.jpg

S5030382.jpg

S5030384.jpg

Motors all dismounted
S5030385-1.jpg

And finally fitted to the new pcb
S5030388.jpg

S5030389.jpg

S5030386.jpg

One thing im unsure of, the older motor has a PS1 type CD clamp with the bearings to hold the disc in place, which would be the better choice the puck or the ps2 style clamp?

beware

Kanifee,

i have tried to use an equivalent mechanism to yours with the original ez31b control board.

i had some problems so i am curious to hear about your results.

i found i had to return to the original servo/laser of the ez31B because it would not work at all.

now i am using the original laser with the other motors but i have frequent tracking problems. i plan to switch the original motors back in sequentially but have not done so yet.

please keep us updated on your progress.

thanks for all the pics as well.

Erik van Voorst said:
Despite Peter's findings with the tent clock I had a thrill with installing the Trichord no. 4 ...

At the moment I made use of the 8V reg supply to supply the clock I will build a dedicated..
(with help from my audiofriend...twice the fun !!!).

Erik,
I’m not surprised of your clocking success, I run my clone with external clock with separate psu and tranny since several months already, and there is no way back.
Btw. Funny thing, Eva Cassidy’ Live at Blues Alley was one of most plaid when tweaking my clone :)

Okapi, im still using the original laser and motors, the only thing i have changed is now i have a new pcb fixed to the bottom of both motors that includes a laser stop switch so i don't need to extend the reach of the original one to raise the whole mechanism above the main psb board.

Any advice on the CD fastening heads on either assembly and which would offer greater results?

I have had the unit up and running with the old psu and psu motherboard and all seems fine, skipped tracks both ways to check laser tracking, hard reset the unit to make sure it reads the disc fine and all seems ok, one thing i noticed is hooked up to my lm3886 amp through analogue output it seems awful low at full volume, will using an external DAC cure this. lastly what sort or prices are external clocks and what are some suggestions as i have absolutely no knowledge of clocks.

Puffin said:
Erik. Have you replaced the original crystal oscillator (E7 on Okapi's PDF) with the clock ?

Puffin,

Yes I first listened extensively to the original clock after I got used to the sound (2 weeks 3 hours a day) I replaced it for Peters Citizen which performed better...(a big bang for the buck only a dollar or so) and again took care that I got used to the sound.

Switched it today for the Trichord...that performed immediately to classify as a no-brainer......although it costs 6 times the boombox (without supply).

Without effecting the precious analog effect
(I take special care in NOT trying to build a second Wadia) nor all the other specific original elements it manages to enhance all the magic substantially and takes it to the next level in my set-up .

It is now playing in the same league as the Wadia...and still on his wooden board.

Kevin I am not sure you have to google I thought 8 to 13 Volt will do nicely but check it out.

:scratch2:

Erik. Thanks for that. I have a Trichord clock fitted to another transport I can rip.

Kanifee. I assume that you are taking the analogue out to a pre-amp, then into the gainclone. I tried this and I did not have any problems with sound level. However the sound quality is poor. You really need to use these as a transport with a separate dac. You will also need to set the SPDIF to 75 ohms. See this thread for details.

Hi puffin, no no pre amp in my set up yet, just my gainclone, im still undecided about what pre amp to build. the analogue out was taken straight to my gainclone. It was more just a test to make sure i had gutted it and fitted the new PCB without damaging anything.

Erick i don't have another miniature PCB as i accidentally stumbled upon this one, the hifi had the correct chips etc, but the PCB was to large as the radio module and other stuff were all on it. for a more experienced person it may have been easier to reverse engineer the board to cut away the unnecessary bits but i wasnt confident enough to have done this.
Ill sort out the model for the radio and post back soon, i can also keep an eye out for any other radios like the one i found and report back.

Is it also possible to construct an external clock like you own or not worth the hassle?

5353_1.jpg

Erik that's the unit the miniature PCB was salvaged from, there are 3 bush cd players i have seen almost identical to this bar button layout and decorative layout of the cd cover.
Id put pretty good money on the cd assembly being the same, the size and dimensions are the same so the laser rack and spindle will have to be separated equally as far from the main PCB as the unit i had.
As far as i know its a Bush LS something or other. maybe you have seen one somewhere.