Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pendergast said:

And where would that be?

No relay, but there is a limit switch right by the capacitors and adjacent to the motor. The bottom of the sled has a "feature" which hits the switch at end of travel. I have a hard time believing that it will not spin up unless that switch is open. (Mine immediately parks in such an instance.) How about the door switch? Loose connection? Something else going on?

Hi I saw you foto's of your own CD-Bunker very cool :cool:

I WOULD DEFINATELY TEST YOUR SUSPENSION BY EAR IN THAT BOX SOFT OR HARD....to fully enjoy all your box-work

About your motor...that must be something simple...eg maybe one of the wires not proper connected or broke ...did you check the voltage before attaching the motor to the wires...

Maybe try a spare boombox (for your stock laser) and fool around with that....I find that very beneficial for solving problems...... :smash:

Re: Interested Check

clearaudio said:
For all of you whose interested in the platter and screw on cap for the shigaclone mechanism, I am able to supply. The cost is USD$50 including postage to any where in the world. it will be made either in delrin or nylon. Pictures to follow soon. PM me, from Singapore.

Long overdue! Here are the Delrin platter and screw cap top I was talking about. Please email me if you want them.

Attachments

• dscf3171_2.jpg
    dscf3171_2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,297
no digital out

Hello everybody
My first post in this thread so I hope that you will excuse me for taking your experiences and silently, if imperfectly implementing them. But now I have hit a snag. I have built a reasonable attractive transport out of oak and ali. It spins up,I can control it, it will output through it's own dac ( pretty bad sounding ) but seems to have no output at spdif. Pin continuity is fine. I have not had a really easy ride with this board as everybody will have found how fragile they can seem and myopia and the tea time thirst can make things difficult. IS there a mute function that I have activated? If it is ouputting to it's own dac then there must be output that I can tap. Very odd and I have yet to hear the promise of this transport which is very frustrating.
Help!!!

clearaudio: :bigeyes: you have PM.

peter, erik: Re. deterioration of laser. Better to sue Philips/Sony (the developers of CD technology) than Junji for deterioration of laser unit. It is a fact that the audio industry does not like to see spread around (since CD tech is supposed to have idea of lifelong reliability), but it is true: the quality of every laser unit steadily degrades during operation time. :bawling: You may not notice a change in sound quality, but your error correction circuits will certainly notice a change. Luckily, the Sanyo chip sets have excellent error correction (confirmed in Stereophile measurements conducted at end of their Shig transport review), so you may not hear the decline ...until the unit starts to skip alot. Even then, you can likely pump out an extension of its life through laser bias readjustment, lens cleaning, or checking the harnessing. (This last is a good tip: Over time, the contacts for the ribbon cable sometimes develop oxide which raises their contact resistance (I have measured sometimes over 100 Ohms) between the cable and the pcb. Then it is time to clean it up. ) But this is just normal maintenance. :eek:

That is very re-assuring news...:up:

In the meantime I checked with 47Labs Importers/dealers and they have a 5 year old unit still performing like new (I know him)...and also one of the dealers (I know him also personally) has at least 1500 hours playingtime on a rig of his own still performing tops...also Junji gives 2 years garantee...so it all seems to be not too bad...

I do agree with you that we audiophiles suffer from the
garbage-culture point of view some designers/manufacturers have.....:sour:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Erik van Voorst said:
....and in the background the famous blue-led post .....

Peter did you experiment with it on your Shiga project....I know you were satisfied with the use of it on your Philips Pro project....

Hey Erik,
Interesting concept. Big question no one has asked yet is what is that rca jack doing in the middle of the spindle/platter.. Or am I hallucinating? :D :confused: :bigeyes: :devilr:

Peter I was wondering...

Throughout your posts (Philips and Shiga) you showed great respect to the design and vision of Junji ...

Yet you go for soft suspension so leaving his vision...
I can understand you did it for the Philips-Job...but howcome you preferred the soft suspension in combination with the Sanyo/JVC....did your listening to both suspensions decide that.....
or was it sheer the Mark Levinson approach...

I would appreciate if you shared your experience on that matter.... ;)

kevinkr said:

Hey Erik,
Interesting concept. Big question no one has asked yet is what is that rca jack doing in the middle of the spindle/platter.. Or am I hallucinating? :D :confused: :bigeyes: :devilr:

No you are not I was experimenting and it appeared thet the thread of an RCA is seeking his was with a light force into the plasic cup of the spindle leaving a much better option to create something...

So I developed an ebony puck
(knowing what it does for records
;) )

I used an RCA plugpin (but that is obvious)...

Attachments

• puck1.jpg
    puck1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,458