Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Hi,
I'm following this thread from the beginning and reading about all the modifications and upgrades. It will be my next DIY project.

I'm wondering if it's possible and worth to write a schematics of the final board, so we can buy just the mechanics and build the controller board keeping just what is needed from the original one. What do you think? The real DIY spirit :)

Personally I need just the I2S output as I'm building a digital preamp + amp with TAS5518 + TAS5261 controlled by an ATMega128.

Enrico

DoctorC said:
Hi,
I'm following this thread from the beginning and reading about all the modifications and upgrades. It will be my next DIY project.

I'm wondering if it's possible and worth to write a schematics of the final board, so we can buy just the mechanics and build the controller board keeping just what is needed from the original one. What do you think? The real DIY spirit :)

Personally I need just the I2S output as I'm building a digital preamp + amp with TAS5518 + TAS5261 controlled by an ATMega128.

Enrico

The schematics was published here or at: http://www.audiostereo.pl/robimy_shigaraki_transport_CD_Flatfish_36475.html

Hello all,,I have just finished my EZ-51. Transport is bolted directly to granite base, sides are bent ally and top is MDF..

The base and insides...

Attachments

• ez51d.jpg
    ez51d.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2,264
superhkm said:

I congratulate you, really nice.

q1 - Your diagram shows 6 switches, your player has two, please explain.

q2 - How thick is the aluminium, and how did you bend it ?

1- I ended up not fitting the repeat and prog' switch, f/f and f/b are on one switch and play and stop the other..(on) off (on) switches..

2- The ally was 1.5 inch by 1/8th inch and bent in wooden vice..

I am also interested and can pick up the 51 instead of the 31 tomorrow.
I think it is more than confirmed that those 2 are identical for our purpose...:D

Is it possible to get me on the list for such a beautiful acrylic mastercrafted puck....the asking price makes it a
no-brainer...my compliments...(I will pay all the costs in advance) :cool:

I have a Wadia 22 transport at the moment...and I am willing to go extreme all the way to get the JVC to surpass it...even if it takes me months....cause that is also part of the hobby... ;)

Erik van Voorst said:
Just out of curiosity in the transport shoot-out in favour of the jvc what amplification and speakers did you use.....

I used the following equipment:

Digital cable: Belkin Synapse
DAC: Modified BiDAT http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=899119#post899119
Interconnects: Kimber KS1130 http://www.kimber.com/select/pages/ksIntBal1130.aspx
Integrated amp: the most advanced GainClone yet: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76609&highlight=
Speaker cables: http://www.omegamikro.com/Speaker_Cable_II.html
Speakers: Fertin EX20 in an infinite baffle http://www.fertin-acoustic.com/

Attachments

• sys0.jpg
    sys0.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,936
So, I did finally get an answer from work about doing a run of cd mounts and the answer was no. Apparently I have designed too many new parts that need the lathe to manufacture, so the lathe schedule is full. Therefore no time for side jobs when the machines are needed to make our own products. Sorry guys.:(

DaveM said:
So, I did finally get an answer from work about doing a run of cd mounts and the answer was no. Apparently I have designed too many new parts that need the lathe to manufacture, so the lathe schedule is full. Therefore no time for side jobs when the machines are needed to make our own products. Sorry guys.:(

But thank you for trying!

Stan

Thanks Peter...I reckon that will pretty much do a referential comparing...:D :cool:

Today I picked up my boombox JVS RC-EZ51H.... YYYEEESSSS

At the moment I am still doing all the reading/studying the topic..I want to make sure before I start I have nothing missed....I also printed all this topic pics and pdfs made a booklet out of it...

I am a bit worried about the dig out pin on the chip...you are most certainly a sharpshooter....

Also the TOC switch seems a bit inconvienant...correct me if I am wrong...but if I let the transport read a disc with 30 tracks only once and leave the switch and everything on...I am homefree...
:confused:

for TOC switch (door switch) you have two choice.

First : short cable and don't use ! When you need to change CD just put your cd transport OFF and it's work well

OR

Second : replace door switch by beautiful on/off button

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

for DIGITAL OUTPUT

you have place on PCB of CD mecanics where is wrote "Dout"
it's the best place to install your Digital output cable.

I don't use digital out direct on IC leg ? because it's the same

Thanks !

nicK

Implementing a TOC switch is not a big deal, I have it unpretentiously mounted between top acrylic cover and metal frame on a right hand side and use it often.

Having the transport read a disc with 30 tracks will work too, but I like to know how many tracks I need to deal with when new disc is loaded ;)

While retriving dig out directly from a pin on the chip worked well, I didn't notice much improvement (if any) when comparing to DOUT place on a PCB.

BTW, getting rid if RCA socket on digital cable brought some improvement.

As you can notice, Shigaclone permanently replaced CEC TL0 and I don't feel any temptation to go back (while still can).

Attachments

• switch1.jpg
    switch1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2,236
Audio1st

Wonderful Zen-Like result :cool:

Did you use the downloaded service manual of the RC-EZ31 or do you have a link to the manual of the 51 (I did an extensive search myself but not finding anything).

The more I read...the more I want to go ahead...

I do not know you guys but the translated polish site is VERY hard to make any sense to me........

.........anyway it has great pics...so I copied those...:D