Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

If any one in the UK is looking for these I was in ASDA in gateshead today and they had about 30 at 25 quid each. I assume they will be in other ASDS stores but if anyone needs one I'm happy to pick them up and strip them down for cost plus postage.

Will be popping in to pick up a spare myself at that price, especially as I have just started the first mods and I am a little clumsy with a soldering iron ;)

Iain

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
RCEZ32 Update

I just ordered a sescom enclosure (MC15A) so that I can finally complete my Shigaclone "clone" project. I chose one that matches my dac and the 3/16" thick aluminum plate the thing is mounted on.

Six lbs of bronze bar stock is on the way for additional mass.

I mentioned recently that I upgraded to a pair of BG standard 1000uF/16V on the output of the 8V regulator. These apparently have much lower internal impedance than the nichicons I had in there previously - the led flicker I mentioned previously is now gone, and I made no other changes that could account for this. (Or any at all in some weeks.)

I have elected to stay with the stock tracking servo cap which in this case is a ceramic smd type because this thing sounds good just the way it is.

I thought I would "upgrade" to a NC momentary switch for loading convenience and immediately discovered I much prefer the toggle I originally used for this purpose and reverted. Flipping the toggle to the "open" position prior to soft power up prevents an unnecessary disk read routine, and otherwise is convenient enough - I like it better.

Interestingly this unit will remember the cd toc as long as it the load switch is not in the "open" condition even when the unit is in standby as long as the power is not removed and/or back up cap is charged.

For protection I always leave a disk on the mechanism when not in use.

In a recent comparison the Shigaclone + my homebrew dac sounded slightly different, but about equal to the Sony SCD-777ES playing cds through its analog outputs. The Shigaclone's fast toc reads are very appreciated - anyone who owns an SCD-1 or 777ES will know exactly what I am talking about. I'm very pleased overall.. Slightly differing strengths - I could definitely live with this as my sole source.:D Thanks again Peter!

Joined 2002
Paid Member
A quick plug for a local company that has been very good to me. I'm older now and my declining eyesite makes any sort of SMD soldering/desoldering a challenge. Larry DeBono of Larr Engineering Prototypes is a small SMD and prototyping company in my area (Toronto, Ontario). He has been kind enough to take on all my SMD stuff at very reasonable cost. I'm dropping in to see him tomorrow and he quoting me $10 to remove all the Shigaclone SMD capacitors and run the single wire. I consider this a very reasonable price when this work is being done by a pro with all the expensive SMD equipment.

Larry's contact number is: 1-905-470-5157

Regards,
Dan :)

Clamp Update - all the details

for those interested, here are some details of the cd clamp construction. i think they will help inform others who are trying to get cost estimates for clamp fabrication or those interested in building one themselves. for those not interested, you can just skip to the photo at the end as most of my comments are directly related to the pics.

i essentially finished the clamp this weekend but needed to get a new die before i could see how well the top and bottom half fit together - when i ran the threads on the lathe i stopped early because our test nut must have been worn. in any case the sharp die (see pic) has made the threads run smooth and everything fits together nicely.

another hurdle i had to work my around was that the carbide cutting tool that was used throughout was too big to make the 15mm hole at the center of the clamp nut (the bottom of the tool contacted the edge of the hole before the cutting edge did). i had to switch to a hand ground cutting tool which did not cut as smoothly but did the job.

the final hurdle is to test the fit on the motor shaft. i would like to get it done this weekend but since i am celebrating my 1yr anniversary i'm not sure how much DIYAudio time i will get ;)

at the shop this weekend i also discovered some buffing compound - hence the nice finish on the nut portion of the clamp.

the threading on the prototype clamp is 10-32 because after the M6-1 dye stripped the shaft 10-32 was the next biggest size. future clamps will be probably be 12-24, maybe 28.

i also received my order of 1.5 inch acrylic rod today. the first clamp was made from 3 inch rod. now i don't have to remove as material before i can get down to work.

i was unable to request a estimate for more clamps today (my normal machine shop morning) because a symposium i needed to attend this morning. i hope to still get a quote later this week. ( i saw an amazing talk on sight restoration in mice with retinal degeneration).

enjoy!

CDplayerClamp.jpg

That really is a job well done Okapi - looks stunning! Love the colour as well - It'll match the LED of the Shigaclone to, and goes a treat if wood is used in the construction as well (I've used a wooden chopping board for my base, similar to Peter's).

Congratulations on the Anniversary as well :D

- John