Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Spindle wobbles

Just gutted my new Boombox last night and threw together a basic PSU. I only performed some basic testing and was using the analog out of the CD-board.
One thing I did notice and was unhappy about was a slight wobble of the CD, it was even wobbling a bit when the magnetic puck was not installed (it still played ok). Has anyone had the same experience?

I really like this project, thanks Peter :)

I just made a comparison between a NAD C541i (SPDIF out) with the Shigaclone.

Unbelievable, the difference!

I just used Marla Glen, This is Marla Glen, because I know this recording so well.

With the shigaclone, all "air" from this recording is back.

Sorry, because my limited english knowledge, I should avoid to describe sound experiences.

Next step for my shigaclone:

I realized, that SPDIF and AES/EBU are mostly the same, but AES/EBU is not so "bad" as SPDIF.

Differences are the level and unbalanced vs. balanced.

I think, it is very bad for SPDIF in real live, that all devices are using this RCA plugs. Not 75 Ohm at all.

As I remember, it was Sony insisting on RCA, while Philips wanted to implement BNC.

Exactly what I will do as next step: convert my DAC(s) to BNC input. And use a RG59 cable, direct out of the shigaclone.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Franz

/Edit
I will bring the player soon to the office, to Studer. Then, we will compare it to a A730.