Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

johnm said:
Interesting point about having one less connection Franz.

After being initially very pleased with the Citizen Crystal, I have gone back to my original belief that the ZTT oscillator sounds better, at least with my equipment and ears ;) I also realised from looking at its data sheet, that the ZTT is directional, unlike the Citizen. Looking at the ZTT from the 'front' (so ZTT branding is visible) the left leg is the output, the middle the ground, the right leg the input.

- John

So what should have that ZTT to be directional ? I think the directional thing in the datasheet is to make things clear with the Test circuit .

Anyway I tried the citizen crystal without caps and it made me somehow :bawling: and cant explain why .

Why should it work properly without caps ??

shigaclone

It make me wonder regard the importance of crystal clock- whether to leave it as it is or to try aftermarket clock with its own PSU. Peter had tried that and did not like the sound it did to his system. Does any one have any comment abouth this
As most upgrade done always stress the importance of a good clock with its own psu:confused:

The problem with DIY is that sometime we upgrade JUST because we CAN. When it's not really needed. I was blown away by the sound of the stock JVC mechanism and PSU, and yet I still just HAD to fiddle with it. I may yet still by a second mechanism to use without any mods... Still I've learnt alot in the process - the PSU is all important. However the el cheapo clock and that C906 seem to provide a great deal of the 'signature' sound of the JVC, a sound I happen to love.

The Citizen crystal sounded very 'hi-fi' to me. Initially VERY impressive (after the Black Gates had burnt in), but after a while I found the sound tiring. The ZTT clock seems to make the music flow better for me - it's more analogue sounding and natural, and communicates the spirit of the piece better.

- John

This could be the answer to the magnetic puck concern. I found this in a cheap unit similar to the ones that Woolworth do (less than £12). The board is no good but the mech looks the same..You may have to open a few lids to check..

Attachments

• puck.jpg
    puck.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,770
Did a ps and started listening to my new CD drive. Good sounding overall with stock components, but lack a bit of body comparing to my Wadia 8.

I have not connected the LCD LED backlight yet as I am still not sure how to go about it. The .PDF file recommended connecting directly to the ps after the rectifier, which in my case is at about 12V. Do I simply connect a 10K resistor in series?

Any help will be appreciated.

Audio1st - I wish I had your building skills - that transport looks The Bizzo! Love the green display as well - very retro-cool. I'd love to get a red one like that. Was the chassis achieved by hollowing out a chopping board? If so what did you use to achieve the hollowing out?

Thanks,

- John