Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

johnm said:
So does this mean that Peter's values of 2 x 75 ohms is maybe not a good idea then in practice?

Those values are dead wrong, but even with wrong values, you can get good sound. (depends on used cable and DAC configuration)

I like to have stuff that complies to the known standards, in this case S/Pdif, so 291 and 100 Ohm are the correct choices.

I'm getting great sound now and that's without any resistors at all, however - like you - I prefer to have things done 'by the book' so I'll probably go with those new values to.

Something else I was curious about, is alot of the capacitor values in many of these mods are alot less in value than the originals. Is it OK to arbitrarily change them like this? Surely they were chosen for a reason?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
johnm said:
http://www.airlinktransformers.com/transformer/0080212-open-style-with-leads.asp

Shopping around for a cheap transformer here in the UK to use with Peter's PSU board for this project. Does the one above look like a good choice, or is it overkill? (VA rating).

Also does it have to be dual secondaries or could I go for a 0v - 24v instead?

Many thanks,

- John

It looks fine, and very reasonably priced.

I wouldn't suggest 0-24 secondary since it'll produce an
unregulated dc voltage too close to the max limit of the
LM7808 regulator. Even if the regulator doesn't break,
it'll be running much hotter than needed.

Cheers,
Dennis

johnm said:
Something else I was curious about, is alot of the capacitor values in many of these mods are alot less in value than the originals. Is it OK to arbitrarily change them like this? Surely they were chosen for a reason?

The smaller capacitor choices were made for a reason: a better sound. This is mostly with respect to BG N type, they just don't sound good in larger values... and wouldn't fit on the board.

OneyedK said:
Those values are dead wrong, but even with wrong values, you can get good sound. (depends on used cable and DAC configuration)

As I like to break rules, I feel perfectly comfortable with completely dead wrong values ;) I tried in listening tests a series resistor of 240R and 62R and the latter sounded better to me, in my system.

I encourage everybody to experiment here and choose values that work best.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OneyedK said:

Sorry to quote this old post, but I calculated the resistors again.
Theoretically it should be 375 and 93.75 Ohm.
(you still woulld have to subtract the chips output impedance from the 375 Ohm)
That would give a perfect 75 Ohm output impedance, 1Vpp unloaded and 0.5Vpp loaded with 75 Ohm.
Any other value will render the coax into an antenna or ignore s/pdif specs. (and thus the receiver input)

--> calculation based on 5Vpp processor spdif ouput.
--> If it's 3.3Vpp, it should be 247.48 and 107.6 Ohm (If this is the case, Kevin's values are the best option!)

Did someone measure the actual chip output?
(would do it myself but the BB has not yet arrived)

On mine it is 5.0Vpp! (RCEZ32) So my original calculated values were wrong too. Generally the output of a cmos port is considered to be very low impedance - a couple of ohms or less and can usually be neglected in the calculation, particularly at higher voltages where the error it contributes is small.

Thanks for the replies guys - I'll go for that transformer then... with my eyes closed ;)

As I was so impressed with the basic sound of this transport I decided to stick as closely as possible to the existing values (apart from C916), but using better components - I didn't want to change anything too drastically that might alter the sound that I was so impressed by. Here are the values I ended up with:

C939 (E1) - 100uF / 63V Elna Silmic (Originally 100uF)

C953 (E2) - 330uF / 35V Panasonic FM (Originally 220uF)

C929 (E3) - 4.7uF / 50V Black Gate 'N' (Originally 10uF)

C934 (E4) - 4.7uF / 50V Black Gate 'N' (Originally 10uF)

C916 (E5) - 47uF / 50V Black Gate 'N' (Originally 220uF)

C906 (E6) - 0.1uF / 400V Auricap (Originally 0.1uF)

Unfortunately I won't be able to hear what it sounds like until next week when some parts for the PSU turn up, but I'll let you know then :)

- John

I'll use Rubycon ZLG as a replacement.
Already did a few digital boards from Denon with them,
they only need a few hours break in and they sound perfect.
Don't listen to them the first 15 minutes after power up, you don't want to hear the result :eek:
(leakage current is too high at that moment, but after break in, it's unmeasurable.)
(If you charge a 25V rated cap with only 5V, it takes longer to "burn in")
I trust them better than old stock Black Gates.

Franz Gysi said:
A question: isn't it a disadvantage, to have a open drive?

No interferences / disturbance from the environment light?

Light is not a problem, vibrations transferred through air might have some influence, but again, I have transports that are not open drive and sound much worse.

I like convenience here and similarity to analog turntable, I even like the simple display with just a track number.

4 hrs in

i had a go at the cd clamp today. as usual i underestimated the time investment by a factor of 4 - it will probably take me 8 hours to finish the first one. by the second or third clamp i should be able to half the time involved. working on a non metric lathe slows things down a little.

here is a pic with about 2/3 of the difficult cuts done on the bottom half of the clamp.

getting a nice cut that maintains the transparency is not always easy (as can be seen with the 47 labs cd clamp). so far i seem to be able to do it. getting the threads perfectly transparent will be another story - in other words it won't happen.