Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I did experiment without magnetic puck, all you need to do is put a piece of paper to secure CD:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

In my setup the difference wasn't that big: without puck the sound is more organic and analog like, with the puck the soundstage seems to be better.

The magnetic puck is certainly more convenient and I'm not sure I would be willing to gave it away.

However, the biggest advantage of screw in clamp is that with warped discs it makes them more flat and servo doesn't work that hard. One of my discs (K2 HD Sound) the warping is so bad that the vertical movement at the end is 2mm or so, With screw in clamp (on Flatfish) it was pretty much straight.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Just finished installing the display (stressful). I would recommend you build the enclosure big enough to fit the original board in.

Not up to Peters standard, mostly Panasonic FC's used throughout. Haven't changed the oscillator yet, can't seem to find the right frequency in UK. Used a Vishay 1830 for the 10nF. Digital out resistors are old, no idea of make, non magnetic 110r and 110r. Used a white LED with 4.7k for display, connected before voltage regulator. Switches are (ON) OFF (ON) type for Play-Stop and Next-Prev. The top is part of a circular, bamboo chopping board. Base was a photo frame.
I must say it sounds really good to me in my humble system.
Thanks again to Peter for all his testing and info:worship:

Attachments

• jvcdisplay.jpg
    jvcdisplay.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 4,361
Peter,

I am thinking of this one:
http://cgi.ebay.de/CD-Aufnahme-Spin...12016QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
You may find this item @ your local (yellow pages/gooogle) playstation-store....without ibuy-surplus-price-tag....

This is not the only place....these are much more expensive examples:
http://www.konsolen-ersatzteile.de/index2.htm -> CD-Auflage für Sony-PS1 (Spindel); PVC.Ersatzspindel für die Sony-PS1

http://cgi.ebay.de/CD-Auflage-Spind...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Originally posted by Peter Daniel I have the drawings made for acrylic disc table and clamp. Anyone with access to machine shop? [/B]
Ok, maybe....send them to me, I´ll ask...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
luvdunhill said:

Tragedy strikes again. The Amazon seller that was selling the RC-EZ31 shipped me a RC-EZ35 instead. :dead: :dead: :dead:

:eek:

back to hunting ...

That is a real bummer.. And I obviously know how that feels. I'll let you know how the replacement turns out. I still do not know for sure that this model has the same mechanism, a close study of the features, and my wishful thinking not withstanding. :rolleyes:

I'm starting to wonder if we should be thinking about rolling our own controller and buying a bunch of these mechanisms. I am not sure whether the chips are still available or not, but it's a pretty simple solution if that were to be the case

I see that everyone is looking for a VERY SPECIFIC boombox, the EZ-31.

Why not just go for any other cheap boombox??

Is there really anything special about the PCB in the EZ-31 compared wioth lets say the EZ35?

It comes from a mass produced boom box, so is there any chance that just about ANY boombox PCB (say Sony, or Aiwa or Panasonic, etc) will sound similar, assuming a few mods were done as per this thread?