Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I am awaiting delivery if the JVC Boombox. Idle hands could be a dangerous thing ! I have butchered an old Sanyo Boombox as a peek inside led me to believe that the same chips might have been in it. They are not, but the transport is easily detachable and a search for a data sheet, gave me the pin outs of the chip.

There is a dig out at pin 43 and a 16.9344 output pin at pin 58. I connect to which pin and ground ? There is another pin designated (Digital Filtering D/A Converter interface) I assume I ignore this ?

lazenna said:
can someone tell me how wide and high is the pcb that holds the lcd display from the jvc?

The EZ31 pcb is 200mm x 50mm..

Attachments

• lcdpcb.jpg
    lcdpcb.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 4,560
Thanks for the goods Peter - payment sent.

Would it be possible to post a quick sketch of how to wire up the digital output/resistors combo.? I have studied the pictures already here but I still have brain fog :xeye:

Many thanks!

- John

P.S. Audio1st, just want to say I LOVE your Shigaclone - looks absolutely fantastic! I don't suppose you'd consider sharing any of your secrets would you? That wooden plinth is stunning! Thanks.

As I was working recently on a new display board, here's the actual schematic, the one in service manual is not exactly accurate.

I also simplified it for my needs, with only 4 main buttons. The other 2 buttons are for programming and repeat. I only need them on remote.

The digital output resistors are also explaned there.

Attachments

• display.jpg
    display.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 4,994
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Peter, yours looks absolutely great. Hopefully I will get the replacement boom box in a few days, and will be able to report back whether or not the RCEZ32 is a viable option as well. I got the last remaining one at the vendor I have been dealing with.. Hopefully I can get home before the next one is delivered to theft central - it is not clear to me that the seller understood that I need signature required for delivery.

My new dac is shaping up nicely and this transport would complement it nicely for occasional cd playback. (Mainly want to keep the hours off of my sacd player.) Also this whole project just looks like fun. I'm dying to get going with whatever hardware platform I end up with.

Fingers crossed that; a) it gets here, and b) it has a usable board and mechanism.

Peter, not sure of you have posted this, but could you describe the sound of this clone? Also, sound vs Mark Levinson etc.

Is there really anything special about this PCB?
It comes from a mass produced boom box, so is there any chance that just about ANY boombox PCB will sound similar, assuming a few mods were done as per this thread?

Dr.H said:
Peter, not sure of you have posted this, but could you describe the sound of this clone? Also, sound vs Mark Levinson etc.

While over the weekend I was modifying the chassis to install the display panel I put on my modfied Levinson ML37 . Now, unmodified unit sounds so uninteresting that I couldn't listen to it at all, with the mods, it comes pretty close to ML31.5 and is quite listenable.

So after switching to Levinson, I got impression of very well defined and presented mids and highs, with proper PRAT, probably a bit less bass than with clone, however, the thing that strucked me the most was slight edginess: the sound had still some digital character that I already forgot about when listening for months to Shigaclone.

The clone is very smooth and natural, I don't miss my analog rig at all. It is very similar in charachter to CEC TL0 which was my reference for last 2 years, it keeps the best virtues of that transport and adds a bit more excitement ; for me, it translates into more involvement while listening. The clone also seems to have more resolution and fine detail comparing to TL0.

Did I already mentioned that the clone became my new reference and it replaces the 5 transports you see in picture below? No kidding ;)

PS: The performance of the transport is only as good as the DAC that is connected to it. Also, the DAC will only sound as good as the transport that feeds it. Without those two matched well together, you won't be able to truly ***** the virtues of either. In all tests I was usning modified BiDAT: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=901594#post901594

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Interesting comments about the magnetic pucks perhaps being one reason why some transports do not sound as good as they should. I'm wondering if this is one of the reasons the (modded ouput stage) PS1 sounds so good - there is no puck...

Still not sure why - in theory - a PC cannot become the perfect source. I use EAC to rip an exact copy of the CD to my hard drive. Surely that means that each time you play the file on the PC you're getting all the information that was available on the CD each and every time, unlike a transport where it's done in 'realtime' ? I use iTunes and Apple Lossless files running through a USB PCLink which creates the digital output to my DAC. Sounds very good to my ears.

Having said all that still can't wait to receive my JVC boombox and see what all the fuss is about :)

- John